Loki has parvo....

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
lushpuppie
Adolescent Bully

Postby lushpuppie » Wed May 13, 2009 9:37 pm

Sending tons of get well vibes to Loki.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Thu May 14, 2009 12:00 am

BabyReba wrote:oh no! every pet owner's nightmare.

how old his loki? has he been vaccinated against parvo in the past? if he's not a tiny baby and he's had a vax before, i believe he should be able to fight through this.

hang in there.

In her initial post I think she said 4 months, but the next post mentioned taking another dog to get vaccinated.

Hope Loki heals up and your other dog didn't get it also.

nena103102
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby nena103102 » Thu May 14, 2009 12:12 am

:(

Gatorpit
Addicted to PBF

Postby Gatorpit » Thu May 14, 2009 4:24 am

I was told by a vet that it is generally not a good idea to vaccinate a dog who may already be caring the virus, as it could compound the illness.

I don't really know if this is true, but it kinda makes sense in a way.

If the point of a vaccine is to inject a tiny bit of the virus so the dog's body can learn to fight it off, if the dog allresady has the virus, then vaccinating it adds MORE.

Though most vaccines use a "killed" virus, not all do, and I don't know if this makes a difference.

Peneloki
Bully Ambassador

Postby Peneloki » Thu May 14, 2009 5:45 am

Loki is four months, and had not been vaccinated in the past. The vet told us that since he was still eating and drinking there was a good chance we could pull him around. However over night he vomited what he ate yesterday and now is refusing to take food or water, or even sweets or nutri-cal.( nutri cal was something he loved in the past when we were trying to put weight on him). So it looks like he will be needing SQ

Now i know that him not being vaccinated might tempt some of you to flame on us and make us feel bad that he wasn't, but to those one or two people that might want to try that, just leave the post, you definitely don't have to explain to us the importance of vaccination at this point. It was self admittedly irresponsible, a little naive, and definitely foolhardy to believe we could put it off like we did.

As for Penelope, she was vaccinated for parvo as a pup, and was due her booster. Once the vet had talked to us about what to do to bring him around, we explained to her that we had Penelope in the same house, and SHE recommended getting her booster. I can definitely see the logic in not vaccinating an already infected dog, kind of like catching the flu and walking into Walgreens to get a vaccine. Just following docs orders.

Thanks for the prayers and vibes, we appreciate them.

Lee

ammadien
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby ammadien » Thu May 14, 2009 12:19 pm

That is so hard, our family will be praying and thinking about you guys.

Nate

EmmasMom
Addicted to PBF

Postby EmmasMom » Thu May 14, 2009 12:26 pm

I hope Loki gets better!

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Thu May 14, 2009 12:57 pm

Sending healing thoughts to Loki!

Since Parvo destroys the lining of the intestines, eating can actually make things worse. SQ is the way to go. Is he staying at the vets or did they send him home? There is a sticky on Parvo in this section.

merriterrier
Addicted to PBF

Postby merriterrier » Thu May 14, 2009 1:49 pm

Def read the sticky! Proper treatment of parvo is very important. At 4 mo he should be able to kick it with effective care and treatment. A friend of mine nursed a 3mo PB pup trough parvo very recently, it can be done!

Sending lots of good vibes.

Nala
Newborn Bully

Postby Nala » Thu May 14, 2009 4:04 pm

I hope he gets better :( Nala had a bout with Parvo at 2 months, and she spent 4 days at the vets, but was able to pull through it. Since he's older and you caught it earlier he should be fine. The biggest problem parvo causes is the dehydration form losing all those fluids, and the Vet should be able to keep him hydrated. I'll keep him in my thoughts :hug:

N8swifey
Newborn Bully

Postby N8swifey » Thu May 14, 2009 4:58 pm

:frown:We are definitely praying hard for you - try not to beat yourself up too much. Things happen and people have no business giving you a hard time when you're probably already giving yourself a hard time.

If it's any help you could try a bit of unflavored pedalyte if your pup will still drink some. We lost a pup, not to parvo but to a stomach/esophagus defect. When we were going through the whole ordeal we were so worried about dehydration and our poor girl couldn't keep anything down. We found that piece of advice from the web helpful (if anyone reading this disagrees by all means correct me because I know I'm no expert and the web isn't always 100% correct). She didn't drink much of it, but we felt better that she drank some and it had more than what water does.

Best of luck to you and Loki - having a hopeful owner is half the battle and you're hanging in ok so far! :hug:

Peneloki
Bully Ambassador

Postby Peneloki » Thu May 14, 2009 5:16 pm

Thank you all for the get well wishes and for sharing your experiences. Just an update on Loki, he is at the vet on an IV. We just got back from visiting him and were told it is too soon for improvement but he is still in good spirits which is good news. He also has not gotten worse, and there has been no blood in his vomit or stool. We are just taking it day by day and will call before they close tonight and first thing in the morning. We will update when we have further news. Thanks again for all your warm wishes. :frown:

GreenEyedBully
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby GreenEyedBully » Thu May 14, 2009 10:48 pm

That sure sounds very hopeful, Peneloki! I was going to say that if you could go & visit, it sure seems to help w/ the depression the parvo pups get. Helps to keep their spirits up, ya know? The first parvo pup that I was assigned to was a sweeeet little pit bull girl, about 4 months old, but she was so very very sick. We all really thought she would not make it through the day, but her people came in to see her & even though she could not hold her head up, she opened her eyes & knew they were there. She made a full recovery & I see her in the office from time to time. :)) I have seen it in lot's of other parvo pups too... They seem to perk up when their people come to see them. I bet your Loki did too! I am keeping you & Loki in my thought & sending you Good Vibes! Get Well Sweet Boy! We are all rooting for you! :hug:

Iron_Crutch_Lee
Newborn Bully

Postby Iron_Crutch_Lee » Thu May 14, 2009 11:00 pm

i hope your dog gets thru this. i heard somewhere that Tamiflu, a human flu medication, helps to cure parvo in puppies. think positively as hard as it may be. :))

Peneloki
Bully Ambassador

Postby Peneloki » Fri May 15, 2009 8:33 am

Thank you to everyone for sharing get well wishes and such. We spoke to the vet this morning, the doctor wasn't in yet but they said Loki looks good. I will call back when the doctor is in for more information. When we went to see him yesterday he actually stood up and walked over to us wagging his tail. Even through the tears I could see that was a good sign.

The doctor is indeed giving him tamiflu, he told us this while we went over his treatment plan. The house sure is empty without Loki, but we are hopeful we will bring him home soon (the dr said 5-7 days).

Thanks again for all your comments it really does give me more hope.

Sara

Return to “Health Issues”