Timberwolf Alternatives

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Sally_Dog77
Bully Lover 4 Life

Timberwolf Alternatives

Postby Sally_Dog77 » Thu May 14, 2009 6:52 am

We started feeding Sally their Ocean Blue forumula, and well the last time I bought TW, it was $15-20 CHEAPER than it was this last time around. $70 for a bag of dog food? No way. Even though it lasts a month, I cannot afford $70 every month with things going the way they are. Sally got chipped, spayed, and vetted, and Nadiya has developed a lump on the side of her face which needs to be removed. I'd rather spend the extra money on some vet care.

She did really great on that formula, and so did Nadiya, but I cannot afford to be shelling out that type of money.

I need a dog food that is comparable in ingredients (I know some members dislike the company, and their dogs did horrible on it; I just dislike the price hike).

I need a grain-free food, and what I liked about the TW Ocean Blue formula was that there was fish in it. Even if I can find a grain free forumla, I can still buy salmon oil. Although not from TW- too pricey.

PitFriend
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitFriend » Thu May 14, 2009 7:06 am

I know a lot of people here are liking Taste of the Wild. It's grain free and I think they have a fish formula. Not sure about the price difference though.

CinderDee
Bully Ambassador

Postby CinderDee » Thu May 14, 2009 7:17 am

I was using TW and stopped as well. I'm feeding Kato Natural Balance duck & potato and he loves it.
http://www.naturalbalance.net/dogformulas/allergy.html

Sally_Dog77
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Sally_Dog77 » Thu May 14, 2009 8:17 am

PitFriend wrote:I know a lot of people here are liking Taste of the Wild. It's grain free and I think they have a fish formula. Not sure about the price difference though.

Wow that is like... almost $30 Cheaper for their largest bag. I will have to try it for sure! And now I can keep both doggies on it if they do well(as long as this company doesn't jack up their prices, either)

Sally_Dog77
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Sally_Dog77 » Thu May 14, 2009 8:19 am

CinderDee wrote:I was using TW and stopped as well. I'm feeding Kato Natural Balance duck & potato and he loves it.
http://www.naturalbalance.net/dogformulas/allergy.html

I fed that to Nadiya for a while, as well. It didn't agree with her all that well. She is not allergic to anything, but it made her guard hairs fall out (she's a husky). She does great on fish formulas, the fish oil seems to help with the joints. Sally is the one that I suspect is allergic to grains.

mind_Doc
Newborn Bully

Postby mind_Doc » Thu May 14, 2009 4:38 pm

I had been using TW and changed to Wellness Core fish formula for the same reason. Its grain free and my dogs are doing well on it.

heartbullies

Postby heartbullies » Thu May 14, 2009 10:29 pm

I have fed Booker the pacific stream version of Taste of the Wild, and also Natural Balance fish and sweet potato.

They are sometimes about the same price, sometimes one is more expensive than the other, sometimes stores have one but not the other. they seem reasonably similar, obviously TOTW has more fish in it since the first 2 ingredients are fish/fish meal, but B did well on both and had firmer poo on the NB.

DVP NB fish and sweet potato:

Sweet Potatoes, Salmon, Salmon Meal, Canola Oil, Potato Fiber, Natural Flavor, Salmon Oil (a source of DHA), Flaxseed, Potassium Chloride, Methionine, Choline Chloride, Natural Mixed Tocopherols, Taurine, Vitamin E Supplement, Iron Proteinate, Zinc Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Potassium Iodide, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B-1), Manganese Proteinate, Manganous Oxide, Ascorbic Acid, Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin, Calcium Pantothenate, Manganese Sulfate, Sodium Selenite, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B-6), Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Riboflavin (Vitamin B-2), Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Folic Acid.

TOTW pacific stream:

Salmon, ocean fish meal, sweet potatoes, potatoes, canola oil, salmon meal, smoked salmon, potato fiber, natural flavor, choline chloride, dried chicory root, tomatoes, blueberries, raspberries, yucca schidigera extract, dried fermentation products of Enterococcus faecium, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Lactobacillus casei and Lactobacillus plantarum, dried Trichoderma longibrachiatum fermentation extract, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate (vitamin B1), manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin (vitamin B2), vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

for $70/month you can feed raw, definitely for one dog here in CA so possibly for 2 dogs where you are?

Sally_Dog77
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Sally_Dog77 » Thu May 14, 2009 11:24 pm

I have thought about doing the raw thing, but I don't know too much about it. I try to stick with kibble, because for me its more convenient. I just can't afford $70 a month on dog food, no matter how good it is. I don't want to slack on quality, but that price is just absolutely outrageous!

I would love to feed raw in the future, but my mother is retired/stays at home and feeds the dogs at noon while I'm at work. It's easier on her to use kibble, although if she runs out of dog food she will prepare her dogs meals. I buy my 2 dogs their food and it helps offset the cost of feeding all 7. She has 5 and I have 2.

She feeds the crap food like pedigree to her 5 or she makes food with chicken and rice, but that's what she can afford. I'd rather them eat something than nothing at all. I'd love to be able to help her buy her dogs better food, but my Dad had a stroke last May and he is on disability so their money is tight. In fact, right after he had the stroke, I was pretty much paying their mortgage so we could keep the house and not <i>lose</i> the dogs!

Sally and Nadiya get the premium stuff. Nadiya has been on TW's fish formula since she was diagnosed with hip dysplasia 2 years ago. I hardly have to give her pain meds on this diet, since it's mild. I'll supplement some Glucosamine in there about 2-4 times a week as well. Sally must have a grain issue, because she gets all red and puffy if you feed her anything else.

heartbullies

Postby heartbullies » Fri May 15, 2009 1:38 am

sorry, i think i wasn't totally clear-- i think $70 for a bag of dog food is crazy! i wouldn't pay that.

when i fed booker raw, it wasn't even $70/month and i lived in the bay area, not known for being inexpensive. i cannot imagine paying that much for a bag of kibble, unless it was a HUGE bag that weighed as much as my dog.

booker is ok with grains (well, i don't know about wheat/corn/soy, but he used to eat california natural herring + sweet potato, which had barley and oats in it--- i love the natura company that makes ca natural and innova and evo and karma!! not sure if one of the formulas of these brands would work for you?) but everything goes to hell if he eats lots of red meat. no lamb based foods. and definitely no merrick wilderness blend with buffalo and venison in it. whoooo boy. cysts on his feet and leaky anal glands. lol

(Off topic: FWIW, I found Pedigree online for $28 for 35 pounds, and Diamond Naturals for $34 for 40 pounds at a local shop here so it might be less there, if they sell it nearby. Just an idea--- but yeah, I'd also rather everyone keep their dogs and feed them every day, even if everyone has to eat rice and tuna and the owners eat ramen, for a rough patch! Five dogs represents a LOT of money and the economy sucks; I'm glad you're able to help keep the family together.)

heartbullies

Postby heartbullies » Fri May 15, 2009 1:40 am

Sorry, I think I wasn't totally clear-- I think $70 for a bag of dog food is crazy! Iwouldn't pay that.

When I fed booker raw, it wasn't even $70/month and I lived in the bay area, not known for being inexpensive. I cannot imagine paying that much for a bag of kibble, unless it was a HUGE bag that weighed as much as my dog. Heh.

Booker is ok with grains (well, he used to eat California Natural herring + sweet potato, which had barley and oats in it--- I *love* the Natura company, they make CA natural and Innova and Evo and Karma!) but everything goes to hell if he eats lots of red meat. No lamb based foods. And definitely no Merrick Wilderness Blend with buffalo and venison in it. Whoooo boy. Cysts on his feet and leaky anal glands ahoy. lol

(Off topic: FWIW, I found Pedigree online for $28 for 35 pounds, and Diamond Naturals for $34 for 40 pounds at a local shop here so it might be less there, if they sell it nearby. Just an idea--- but yeah, I'd also rather everyone keep their dogs and feed them every day, even if everyone has to eat rice and tuna and the owners eat ramen, for a rough patch! Five dogs represents a LOT of money and the economy sucks; I'm glad you're able to help keep the family together. I am sorry to hear about your dad, too.)

heartbullies

Postby heartbullies » Fri May 15, 2009 1:41 am

Oops. Proofreading before I hit submit is always a stellar idea, huh? "Submit" and "preview," I mean c'mon, the buttons LOOK the same except for those pesky complicated letters on 'em.

suvtwo
Newborn Bully

Postby suvtwo » Fri May 15, 2009 11:11 pm

I recently switched from timberwolf totw is great or chicken soup or diamond natural all the same company .I rotate chiken soup is my dogs favorite and then totw .

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Sat May 16, 2009 7:25 am

I feed 2 dogs raw for well under $70/month.

I'm currently transitioning the cats to raw, but for now they eat mostly TOTW. I think it's one of the better foods for the price.

And BTW, I'm thinking I can feed 4 cats and 2 dogs (18lbs and 53 lbs) for under $100/month (I was paying more when feeding kibble!)

And it's really not that inconvenient.... quite easy really. Remove from freezer, thaw, hand to dog. lol

Return to “Health Issues”