Salmonella poisoning - RAW feeders

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
MissVicky
Newborn Bully

Salmonella poisoning - RAW feeders

Postby MissVicky » Sat May 16, 2009 6:42 pm

I, wanted to try to feed raw diet. Give it a try once and see how Houdini likes it.

The bf on the other does not due the chance of Houdini getting Salmonella poisoning.

Can a dog get Salmonella poisoning through raw feed?

What he's telling me now:

"I'm telling you can! You can get it"
"My cousin's dog got salmonella poisoning from a eating a chicken that had it"

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Sat May 16, 2009 6:47 pm

Her is the thread I suggested that you read in the last post you made asking this question about raw.

http://www.pitbullforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=18048

MissVicky
Newborn Bully

Postby MissVicky » Sat May 16, 2009 7:06 pm

yeah i don't think i'll be doing raw meat then.

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Sat May 16, 2009 9:07 pm

Feeding raw is certainly not for everyone. It takes a lot of research before you're ready, and then a lot of planning afterwards as well.

I have four dogs. Three of them eat Healthwise kibble. The fourth is severely allergic to storage mites and cannot eat kibble, so she is raw fed (and some canned food).

I have to say that even though she does very well-- miraculously well in some ways-- on her raw diet, I don't love feeding raw.

Savage Destiny
Bully Ambassador

Postby Savage Destiny » Sat May 16, 2009 11:01 pm

Unless your dog has a compromised immune system, he should be fine. Keep in mind that dogs are designed to eat raw meat.

I have three cats, three ferrets, and Riddle all on raw. None of them have ever been sick from it, and every one is healthier than when they ate kibble. I'll never feed kibble again.

Kahlie
Forum Junky

Postby Kahlie » Sat May 16, 2009 11:36 pm

Savage Destiny wrote:I'll never feed kibble again.

x2

OT - Kudos on converting ferrets, btw. I've managed to do the switch with my girl from garbage Iams, to canned...but she could care less about raw still....

Beowulf
Addicted to PBF

Postby Beowulf » Sun May 17, 2009 12:13 am

Savage Destiny wrote:None of them have ever been sick from it, and every one is healthier than when they ate kibble. I'll never feed kibble again.

x3.

I have three APBTs on it and have for two years. My vet, who was initially against it, has come around and says my dogs have never been healthier.

BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby BrokenAquarian » Sun May 17, 2009 12:53 am

My dog Louie just ate 3 whole quail today(feathers and all) and is doing great. I often feed my dogs whole animals(rabbits, chicks, quail) and have never had any adverse effects.

I'm a little more wary of feeding grocery store meat, just because it's been opened up and exposed to whatever is in the slaughter houses and such.

I do understand that an animal can carry it while alive, but I feel safe feeding whole prey model from trusted online sources.

Amie

Postby Amie » Sun May 17, 2009 7:27 am

Beowulf wrote:
Savage Destiny wrote:None of them have ever been sick from it, and every one is healthier than when they ate kibble. I'll never feed kibble again.

x3.

I have three APBTs on it and have for two years. My vet, who was initially against it, has come around and says my dogs have never been healthier.

x4 as long as money permits. And since raw for me is cheaper than the kinds of kibble I would feel comfortable feeding, that's going to be a long time.

I do actually use kibble as training treats sometimes, and in food dispensing toys that provide mental stimulation. And foster Liberty gets kibble (Regal Sensi-bites, which I've been very pleased with) because someone else is paying for her food. In general, I think of kibble as french fries - nice little treats, but not what I want the ones I love to live off of.

That's because for my animals I've seen a huge improvement in their overall conditions - conditions that when they were on kibble, every vet who saw them said they were perfectly healthy. They've done nothing but improve on raw. So it works for me.

It is not for everyone, and I have no problems with anyone else feeding kibble or whatever they need to feed to keep their animals healthy. I do think they owe it to their animals to research things to the best of their ability and not make decisions on what they've done their whole lives, but I can't even make them do that.

We all do the best we can for the ones we love, and that's all anyone can ask.

jlphilli
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby jlphilli » Sun May 17, 2009 3:27 pm

Regarding the cost-effectiveness of feeding raw:

I've been told it's only cost-effective if you have a separate freezer and can buy in bulk.

Kahlie
Forum Junky

Postby Kahlie » Sun May 17, 2009 5:10 pm

jlphilli wrote:Regarding the cost-effectiveness of feeding raw:

I've been told it's only cost-effective if you have a separate freezer and can buy in bulk.

I buy in semi bulk, and do not have a separate freezer (that said, my freezer has nothing but 'their' meat in it..lol)

However, I will continue to vouch for raw, if for no other reason than I swear Jasper's battle with cancer has been extra effective because of it...

That said, I wouldn't recommend anyone to just jump into raw feeding without ample research. Admittedly, it's not for everyone.
However, for my brats, it totally works.

Amie

Postby Amie » Sun May 17, 2009 7:17 pm

I don't have a separate freezer and can't buy in too much bulk - it's rare that I get more than 45 - 60 pounds at a time (the animals eat two pounds a day) but pound for pound it's cheaper than the kibbles I would feed if I had to go back to that.

Beowulf
Addicted to PBF

Postby Beowulf » Sun May 17, 2009 8:10 pm

Callie wrote:
jlphilli wrote:Regarding the cost-effectiveness of feeding raw:

I buy in semi bulk, and do not have a separate freezer (that said, my freezer has nothing but 'their' meat in it..lol)

That said, I wouldn't recommend anyone to just jump into raw feeding without ample research. Admittedly, it's not for everyone.
However, for my brats, it totally works.

:goodpost:

It's cost effective for me, but if I WERE spending more money on raw, It would still be worth if because of the vet bills I used to have for teeth cleaning, anal gland expression and general itchiness.

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Postby FransterDoo » Sun May 17, 2009 9:57 pm

WOW! there's a lot of you not buying in bulk. I'm really interested (and impressed)!!!

Beowulf
Addicted to PBF

Postby Beowulf » Sun May 17, 2009 10:34 pm

FransterDoo wrote:WOW! there's a lot of you not buying in bulk. I'm really interested (and impressed)!!!

Texas really hasn't caught up with California (big surprise there, right?). I haven't found anyone who will SELL in bulk, or I'd buy a freezer and fill it up.

Return to “Health Issues”