so, last night was a bad night....

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
*ruckus*
Newborn Bully

so, last night was a bad night....

Postby *ruckus* » Mon May 18, 2009 5:27 pm

Yeah... so we've gone nearly a year with no major pet-ownership mishaps, then two last night... We gave Ruckus a piece of rawhide to chew, and were watching him like a hawk then entire time until my boyfriend and I went out to smoke a cigarette. Our friend was still in the living room with the dog, so we didn't think of it...well our friend went to the bathroom, and rucky not only swallowed the rawhide, but also devoured a bowl of french onion dip...
AAARRGGG!

So, I know the rawhide is a pretty major concern, and from what I'm reading, you are supposed to watch out for straining while pooping, diarrhea, and signs of discomfort...well diarrhea he definitely had (like, all over the couch and the living room floor) last night, but I'm imagining that is because he NEVER eats people food, and the dip is high sodium/milk products which he's not used to. Obviously we'll watch for anything else, but does he need to go to the vet if he seems ok? He does have an appt on Thursday (pre op neuter visit), but I imagine if there is a problem he would need to be seen prior to thursday.

Is there anything else I should watch out for, or be concerned about, that I haven't already thought of?? Thanks in advance for any advice/ help.

Chasesmom
Bully Ambassador

Postby Chasesmom » Mon May 18, 2009 6:16 pm

Can't help ya too much, but stay away from rawhide....COMPLETELY. It doesn't matter if you watch 'em or not. It is a bunch of thin pieces squished together to create one and they could take off a little piece but that will still expand once it hits liquid in the belly.

Hope everything goes okay.

*ruckus*
Newborn Bully

Postby *ruckus* » Mon May 18, 2009 6:18 pm

yeah, that was the first time he ever had it, and will never again. he was oddly possessive over it too, which he's never been like that before either-- I can literally pull food out of his mouth and he doesn't care, but the rawhide he wouldn't even let you near him. Hopefully the "lesson" isn't more than just this little scare... but I've definitely learned that he will never get rawhide again!

*ruckus*
Newborn Bully

Postby *ruckus* » Mon May 18, 2009 6:20 pm

it was supposed to be a birthday treat, he turned 1 on Saturday! But we'll have to find something else to give him as a special treat-- and it sure won't be french onion dip either! :) (kidding, obviously-- he NEVER eats people food!!!)

Chasesmom
Bully Ambassador

Postby Chasesmom » Mon May 18, 2009 6:24 pm

Lol. Well, happy bday to your pup! Hmmm...you could stuff a kong with some yummy things, a RAW beef stew bone, Bully Stick.....

Just some other things you can give him that will take him a little more time to get through. Definitely be careful with the resource guarding though if you are going to be giving him raw bones and stuff...definitely high value items.

I don't know much but I think diarrhea and vomiting (together) are things to look out for when you are concerned about a blockage.
Also, look out for whining, excessive panting, shivering as these can be signs of pain or discomfort.

Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Mon May 18, 2009 8:07 pm

Blockages, usually, vomiting, and unable to pass stool. However, dogs can have partial blockages as well. They are usually very uncomfortable and unhappy. If blocked, they should go to the vet immediately, as tissue in the intestine could be dying off. I hope all is well w/your birthday boy.

*ruckus*
Newborn Bully

update

Postby *ruckus* » Tue May 19, 2009 4:20 pm

Got home from work last night, and he seemed absolutely fine--He was chasing a fly around the house, had eaten dinner and pooped normally (solid, even!) , and didn't seem in the least bit uncomfortable or abnormal. So, crisis averted, and lesson learned. Now for his REAL bday present... he's getting neutered on Friday! Poor fella, thats not a really good present... lol

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed May 20, 2009 2:32 am

Actually, the rawhide is fine... its the onion dip you have to worry about. Onion, especially onion powder concentrates like those found in dips can cause red blood cells to lyse (explode) and results in a severe anemia.

No onions or onion products for dogs!!!

Peneloki
Bully Ambassador

Postby Peneloki » Wed May 20, 2009 9:43 am

Kind of OT here...well not really, but, are rawhides dangerous or not dangerous?

Finnigan
Bully Ambassador

Postby Finnigan » Wed May 20, 2009 10:31 am

I don't go near them personally. I prefer raw soup/knuckle bones.

Peneloki
Bully Ambassador

Postby Peneloki » Wed May 20, 2009 10:58 am

Finnigan wrote:I don't go near them personally. I prefer raw soup/knuckle bones.

If you don't mind me asking, why don't you go near them?

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Wed May 20, 2009 12:21 pm

Peneloki wrote:Kind of OT here...well not really, but, are rawhides dangerous or not dangerous?

I give pressed rawhide to grendel sometimes, I make sure watch he doesnt eat any big pieces off and I take it away when it's small. I have to do the same with bullysticks too because he will swallow big chunks if given the chance.

Peneloki
Bully Ambassador

Postby Peneloki » Wed May 20, 2009 1:03 pm

starrlamia wrote:
Peneloki wrote:Kind of OT here...well not really, but, are rawhides dangerous or not dangerous?

I give pressed rawhide to grendel sometimes, I make sure watch he doesnt eat any big pieces off and I take it away when it's small. I have to do the same with bullysticks too because he will swallow big chunks if given the chance.

That is exactly what we do. As soon as it gets small we take it away. I was just making sure it was safe for them to get rawhides, although we don't really give them often.

Finnigan
Bully Ambassador

Postby Finnigan » Wed May 20, 2009 1:05 pm

Peneloki wrote:
Finnigan wrote:I don't go near them personally. I prefer raw soup/knuckle bones.

If you don't mind me asking, why don't you go near them?

Because I watched one of my dogs gag/choke one one-he spat it out, but, its not worth it.

Return to “Health Issues”