Riley has a mast cell tumor

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
PitFriend
Addicted to PBF

Riley has a mast cell tumor

Postby PitFriend » Fri May 22, 2009 10:28 am

So Riley's had a small lump on her side for the past few months. I feel bad that I didn't get it checked sooner, life kind of got in the way of things. :frown: My vet aspirated it today and it is a small mast cell tumor. She is scheduled to have it removed next week. She's 7 years old and in otherwise good health.

On the plus side, it is only that one lump, and I'm hoping with aggressive surgery they'll get it all out. It's so hard though, this is my third dog in the last year that has developed some form of cancer. WTF? Am I somehow giving my dogs cancer?! It's terribly frustrating.

I have a lot of reading to do, but a couple of questions:

For my lymphoma dog, Downie (currently, thankfully, in remission), I switched her diet to high protein, low(er) carb - she sometimes gets cooked fresh meats and leafy green veggies, sometimes she gets Natures Variety Instinct kibble, which does have a small amount of tapioca carbohydrate. She also gets antioxidant and omega fatty acid supplements.

Should I start Riley on a similar diet and immune supplements? Right now she gets the regular Natures Variety Prairie kibble. Would it benefit her to switch to high protein, low carb as well?

Any particular supplements I should start using?

If anyone knows of any good informational websites, please pass them along.

Could also use some of those healing PBF vibes if y'all got em to spare.

Thanks!

Sarah

BlueMountainBullies
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby BlueMountainBullies » Fri May 22, 2009 12:58 pm

I hope the surgery goes well and that Riley makes a quick an cancer free recovery :hug:

SKoth
Bully Ambassador

Postby SKoth » Fri May 22, 2009 1:26 pm

Sarah,
There have been many dogs on the PBF including my main squeeze that have had MCT's. Let's see what the pathology report says next week. For many MCT's surgical removal can be curative.

Anwar had one removed from his flank in 2005. It came back Grade II but the pathologist said that it had penetrated the fascia, we had excellent margins that statistically removal was curative.

He didn't have a reoccurance and is doing great!

We'll keep our fingers crossed for you! Try not to worry to much.

Hugs,
Sarah, Anwar, Thalia and the Scram

pitgrrl

Postby pitgrrl » Fri May 22, 2009 2:26 pm

Streets had a small MCT removed a couple of years ago now. The homeopath I was consulting with at the time (for other stuff) recommended that Streets stick with a raw diet and be given absolutely no grains, and supplemented with chlorella. So far, we've had no further issues.

julie64
Addicted to PBF

Postby julie64 » Sat May 23, 2009 3:49 am

Sending good vibes to you and Riley. :hug: Hang in there and I know it's hard not to worry.

PitFriend
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitFriend » Sat May 23, 2009 8:00 am

Thanks guys! I'm trying not to worry until we get the biopsy back. I checked over Riley very closely again last night and found another small bump on her hip. It's smaller even than the other one, and I'm not sure it's not just a little wart, but of course now I'm sort of freaking out even more. Sigh.

I've started her switch to grain free NV Instinct. I'm just not confident enough right now to switch to raw, but the thought is always in the back of my mind trying to find a comfy spot. And now we wait. Blah. Cancer sucks.

ilikelily
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby ilikelily » Sat May 23, 2009 8:14 am

Sending good thoughts for the biopsy results.

heartbullies

Postby heartbullies » Sat May 23, 2009 8:42 am

Sending healing bump-free thoughts to you!

I've always heard low/no-carb diets are best for dogs with MCTs.

No, you're not giving your dogs cancer-- you are a good observant owner, is all, and think about the age of your dogs.
:hug:

mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby mtlu » Sat May 23, 2009 4:13 pm

heartbullies wrote:No, you're not giving your dogs cancer-- you are a good observant owner, is all, and think about the age of your dogs.
:hug:

x2! :hug: Hugs to you and Riley and sending good thoughts for the best outcome possible.

nic
Forum Junky

Postby nic » Sat May 23, 2009 5:00 pm

SOrry to hear that Pitfriend,and I hope after surgery you have no reccurence,or problems.
My ex's Stafford had a mast cell tumour removed at 2 or 3 years of age,and last I heard was going strong over 10 years old. :)

Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Postby Nickdawg » Sun May 24, 2009 1:35 am

so sorry to hear, healing thoughts and hugs to you and Riley!

CSilverman89
Forum Junky

Postby CSilverman89 » Sun May 24, 2009 9:28 am

You and Riley will be in my thoughts, I'll be sending you healing vibes. Hope everything goes well. :hug:

PitFriend
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitFriend » Sat May 30, 2009 8:29 am

WARNING: I've posted photos of Riley's healthy, sutured incision. If you're sensitive to that kind of stuff, don't scroll down. :)

Just wanted to update - Riley had her MCT removed on Wednesday. She did really well, and the incision area doesn't look quite as scary as I thought it would. The bump itself was I guess relatively small... slow growing, and by the time of surgery was only about the size of a pea.

The first couple of days after surgery she seemed out of it and depressed which is unusual for Riley so I know she really wasn't feeling well. But today she's starting to seem like her old self.

The only issue we're having now is that the incision is starting to itch! She can't reach it with teeth or paw, but she loooves to roll around on her back and she's figured out she can kind of scratch the sutures that way. So I gave her some Benadryl and we're keeping a close eye on her. Here's how it looks today:

Should receive results on grade level and margins sometime next week. Hoping for good news. And thanks again for all the kind thoughts.

julie64
Addicted to PBF

Postby julie64 » Sat May 30, 2009 9:10 am

Keeping you and Riley in my thoughts that you get good results next week. :hug:

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Sat May 30, 2009 9:29 am

Wow..another dog ..seems there is a " epidemic " of pitties and mixes with Mast Cell diagnosis.

I too am sending healing thoughts to Riley.

Do any of the vets have a thought as to why we are seeing more and more of these ?
it worries me!

Return to “Health Issues”