Hello and Disc Disease Info for SonnysMomma

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
jessanddoc
Newborn Bully

Hello and Disc Disease Info for SonnysMomma

Postby jessanddoc » Mon May 25, 2009 12:28 pm

Hi,

My name is Jessica and I'm owned by my 7 y/o N/M Doc.

Teal referred me to this forum b/c Doc has unfortunately suffered from two slipped discs in the past two years, both requiring surgery.

SonnysMomma posted this morning about her dog dragging his hind legs and not being able to potty, which sounds suspiciously like Doc's condition, Intervertebral Disc Disease (IVDD).

Although this isn't a typical "intro post" I can't post a direct reply to her thread so I just want to get as much info down here as possible, which I believe Teal will forward.

In March of 2007 my husband came home to find Doc scooting around on the floor - completely unable to use his hind legs, wag his tail, or go potty. We brought him to the emergency vet for x-rays which were inconclusive, and then were referred to a more sophisticated facility for a myelogram. The myelogram showed Doc had ruptured a disc, which was causing the paralysis, and he immediately underwent surgery. When the dog still has Deep Pain Sensation (DPS) the surgery carries a 90% chance of recovery, and Doc fortunately fell into the 90%. Within a week after surgery he was wagging his tail and within two weeks after surgery he began to walk.

If you look on this site under March 2007, you can see the progress:

www.dropshots.com/jessicasara79

We enjoyed two good years until this past March, when I noticed Doc was experiencing ataxia (legs crossing behind one another) in his hind legs.
I immediately got him to the emergency vet, as the goal with this disease is preventing the dog from becoming paralyzed. This time they did an MRI, which concluded Doc had blown another disc, and he had another surgery. Fortunately, the surgery prevented paralysis, and after a 6 week recovery period Doc was back to his old self, with just a slightly odd gait.

Dodger's List (www.dodgerslist.com) has been my knight in shining armor throughout this whole process. I have leaned through Dodger's List that surgery is not the only way a dog can heal from IVDD, so if it is unaffordable (can range from $2.5K to 6K depending on where you live) SonnysMomma can still treat conservatively with a good outcome. In fact, my husband and I have decided that if Doc slips another disc we will go the conservative route.

In short, this involves crating the dog 24/7 - no exceptions. Carry to and from potty place, use a sling to support during potty. A vet experienced in IVDD can treat with steroids. It's an 8 week healing period. Dodger's List describes this as a disease of patience. If the dog is already paralyzed, it may take several weeks of crating before he starts to wag his tail. His bladder will need to be expressed. He can recover.

So - SonnysMomma - please feel free to offlist me at any time if IVDD is the diagnosis you receive. I'm not an expert but I've been through it and its horrifying at first. (Well - and at second, too!)

I hope your little boy isn't in any pain.

Sorry for the long post.

Jessica & Doc (resting happily on the couch)

jtalt7
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby jtalt7 » Mon May 25, 2009 12:41 pm

Welcome to the Pres of the McNaughty clan :))

Thanks Jess for posting, I hope your info can help.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Mon May 25, 2009 2:10 pm

www.dodgerslist.com
Welcome to PBF :)

jessanddoc
Newborn Bully

Postby jessanddoc » Mon May 25, 2009 2:16 pm

Thanks! Great to be here!

Are you on Dodger's List also?

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Mon May 25, 2009 2:24 pm

I have Dachshunds and two so far have had back issues...our current boy, Tristan, came to us completely paralyzed and is now walking.

jessanddoc
Newborn Bully

Postby jessanddoc » Mon May 25, 2009 2:35 pm

Fantastic on the walking!

Yeah - DL has been a lifesaver for us, twice over. I only wish the first time around I'd realized Doc had IVDD and really researched it. I was pretty blindsided the second time he slipped a disc and maybe wouldn't have done surgery.

Oh well - live and learn.

SonnysMomma
Forum Junky

Postby SonnysMomma » Mon May 25, 2009 3:18 pm

Wow, thanks so much Jess!

I will for sure keep Doc in our thoughts and prayers!

I suppose it is just a waiting game at this point...I will keep you updated.

Here i will post what the e-vet said just less than an hour ago.

I think they have ruled out any tears, sprains, FCE, discs and anything else. At this point, they think it is neurological.

His x-rays were fine, blood work was "remarkable"...his physical exam was fine.

So, they are keeping him overnight, to make sure that if anything happens, if he declines they have the things they need.

The surgeons, which they stated are closely tied with the neurologists are coming in, in the morning for a consult for him. Once that is done, they will calls us and let us know the next step. Which we think will be taking him down to the neurologist for whatever tests need to be done.

I am pretty sure most of this is covered by our VPI, but they arent open, so I cant call to find out.

SonnysMomma
Forum Junky

Postby SonnysMomma » Mon May 25, 2009 3:19 pm

Oh, and they are keeping him on the predinsone at this point.

jessanddoc
Newborn Bully

Postby jessanddoc » Mon May 25, 2009 3:26 pm

Thank you for the update. You must be worried sick.

I'm glad he will have a consult with the neurologist.

Just FYI - Doc oddly didn't show any signs of pain either time he slipped his discs. And Doc is NOT stoic - by any stretch of the imagination. The dog whimpers if he remembers someone once stepped on his tail, LOL. My point being that disc issues can't actually be ruled out without an MRI or myelogram.

Keeping my fingers crossed that whatever the diagnosis, it's treatable and that Sonny will be home soon!

SonnysMomma
Forum Junky

Postby SonnysMomma » Mon May 25, 2009 3:32 pm

jessanddoc wrote:Thank you for the update. You must be worried sick.

I'm glad he will have a consult with the neurologist.

Just FYI - Doc oddly didn't show any signs of pain either time he slipped his discs. And Doc is NOT stoic - by any stretch of the imagination. The dog whimpers if he remembers someone once stepped on his tail, LOL. My point being that disc issues can't actually be ruled out without an MRI or myelogram.

Keeping my fingers crossed that whatever the diagnosis, it's treatable and that Sonny will be home soon!

Thanks Jess!

They did mention the myelogram when the surgeons come in, in the morning. Unfortunately, they arent the neurologists but the doctor on duty said that they are closely related to the neurology portion of it.

He doesnt seem to be in any pain, unless he is trying to lay down. And I dont even know if he is then, it just looks like it. He hasnt whined a bit since it started yesterday (all of a sudden I might add).

I just keep reading different things that say the first 24 to 72 hours and it worries me, not that we didnt get him in soon enough, but everything but the Evet is closed for the holiday.

He was started on the predisone within, 10 hours of the initial occurence, so maybe that is good. And they are keeping him on it for now.

I just dont know what to do with myself right now. I want to go lay in that crate with him.

I have no idea how I am going to sleep tonight without him laying beside like he does every night. Or even work tomorrow, until they call.

I am a nervous wreck. I tried to eat, but cant. I think I have smoked a whole pack of cigarettes today. Ugh :frown:

jessanddoc
Newborn Bully

Postby jessanddoc » Mon May 25, 2009 3:40 pm

Believe me - I know the feeling.

I spent the day in bed when we brought Doc in the second time. It was a Sunday morning and we took him to the e-vet so he could have the myelogram or MRI first thing. So I was without him all day and had no conclusive information. I was sick to my stomach and I just wanted to shut out the world.

Time was of the essence for us too and everything went too slowly as far as I was concerned :-)

As far as IVDD is concerned, the window for surgery is 24-48 hours AFTER the dog loses deep pain sensation. Does Sonny still have DPS? IVDD wouldn't be the worst diagnosis in the world so I almost hope, for your sake, that's what it is. It sucks and its scary but its treatable and many dogs regain mobility/continence. It's absolutely not a death sentence.

The fact that he's in a crate and on steroids is very good.

These things ALWAYS happen on a weekend or a holiday!

I'm headed to a BBQ but I'll be back online tonight.

I'll be thinking about you guys...BIG HUGS!

SonnysMomma
Forum Junky

Postby SonnysMomma » Mon May 25, 2009 8:38 pm

jessanddoc wrote:Believe me - I know the feeling.

I spent the day in bed when we brought Doc in the second time. It was a Sunday morning and we took him to the e-vet so he could have the myelogram or MRI first thing. So I was without him all day and had no conclusive information. I was sick to my stomach and I just wanted to shut out the world.

Time was of the essence for us too and everything went too slowly as far as I was concerned :-)

As far as IVDD is concerned, the window for surgery is 24-48 hours AFTER the dog loses deep pain sensation. Does Sonny still have DPS? IVDD wouldn't be the worst diagnosis in the world so I almost hope, for your sake, that's what it is. It sucks and its scary but its treatable and many dogs regain mobility/continence. It's absolutely not a death sentence.

The fact that he's in a crate and on steroids is very good.

These things ALWAYS happen on a weekend or a holiday!

I'm headed to a BBQ but I'll be back online tonight.

I'll be thinking about you guys...BIG HUGS!

Jess, I am not sure what DPS is...and the doctors never mentioned it.

jessanddoc
Newborn Bully

Postby jessanddoc » Mon May 25, 2009 8:47 pm

Sorry about that - DPS = Deep Pain Sensation.

If the dog still responds to a sharp pinch between its toes (best determined by a neurosurgeon) it can still feel deep pain. From the time the dog loses DPS, surgery is recommended prior to the 24-48 hour point.

SonnysMomma
Forum Junky

Postby SonnysMomma » Mon May 25, 2009 8:59 pm

jessanddoc wrote:Sorry about that - DPS = Deep Pain Sensation.

If the dog still responds to a sharp pinch between its toes (best determined by a neurosurgeon) it can still feel deep pain. From the time the dog loses DPS, surgery is recommended prior to the 24-48 hour point.

hmmm...when i call back in about an hour i will ask.

I do know that last night they check his reflexes in his hind legs and that was fine.

Ill let you know.

jessanddoc
Newborn Bully

Postby jessanddoc » Mon May 25, 2009 9:09 pm

Oh - so he still has some ability to use his back legs?

If so, I don't believe you have to worry about checking for DPS.
That means that his brain is still able to talk to his spinal cord. That is a very good thing as far as IVDD is concerned.

Return to “Health Issues”