poop eaters

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Beowulf
Addicted to PBF

Postby Beowulf » Tue May 26, 2009 8:29 am

LOTS of us have that problem. lol

Look at this search:
http://www.pitbullforum.com/search.php?mode=results

Beowulf
Addicted to PBF

Postby Beowulf » Tue May 26, 2009 8:30 am

Yeah, okay, maybe don't look at that search. Just search "poop eater" and about 28 threads come up.

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Tue May 26, 2009 9:08 am

Mine eats the other dog's poop, not her own. But just as nasty :)

It can be a really hard problem to stop. Best solution is to just watch her like a hawk and clean up immediately after she's done going.

jessanddoc
Newborn Bully

Postby jessanddoc » Tue May 26, 2009 9:58 am

I have a poop eater in remission, LOL!

Feeding them pineapple makes their poop taste bad. You can also get tablets at pet stores to do the same job.

My dog was eating other dogs poop on his walks - yuck! We worked on a strong "leave it" and it hasn't happened in quite a while - thank goodness.

This is a common problem called corporophasia - nothing to be terribly alarmed about :)

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Tue May 26, 2009 10:08 am

jessanddoc wrote:I have a poop eater in remission, LOL!

Feeding them pineapple makes their poop taste bad. You can also get tablets at pet stores to do the same job.

My dog was eating other dogs poop on his walks - yuck! We worked on a strong "leave it" and it hasn't happened in quite a while - thank goodness.

This is a common problem called corporophasia - nothing to be terribly alarmed about :)

I tried some of the remedies, didn't work.

A strong "leave it" command is a must.

Thankfully, my girl never tried to eat poop on walks. Just my other dog's poo. Although since we switched to raw, she's much less interested. Maybe because it doesn't have a strong smell anymore?

It's call coprophagia :thumbsup:

Mya&theSiebenDackels
Addicted to PBF

Postby Mya&theSiebenDackels » Tue May 26, 2009 10:52 am

All of our dogs except Mya(American Bully) and Lucy(dachshund) are poop eaters. My dachshund Charlotte is the worse when it comes to eating poop! :yucky: It is like candy to her. That is one reason why I do not let her lick me on the face but, she also has the most slimiest toungue which is really gross too.

Amie

Postby Amie » Tue May 26, 2009 11:02 am

Liberty is a litter box surfer, but only goes after her own when she's thirsty (she hasn't learned to drink from the bottle in her crate, and she spills bowls, but we're working on that). I'm pretty sure I could get Fiona to eat pineapple, maybe Trevor, but Aslan is a definite no-go on that. And since she's not yet house-trained, and likes to go in the bathroom right next to that litter box (it's like one-stop shopping for dogs!) I just keep a close eye on her when she wanders down the hall.

Finnigan
Bully Ambassador

Postby Finnigan » Tue May 26, 2009 11:06 am

None of my dogs have ever eaten their own poop...that is so odd to me...

However!....they do enjoy wolfing down horse crap on the trails :yucky: Maybe its the greens???

Amie

Postby Amie » Tue May 26, 2009 11:23 am

Every dog I've ever known has liked horse poop.

I mean, that's yummy stuff.

Finnigan
Bully Ambassador

Postby Finnigan » Tue May 26, 2009 11:53 am

Amie wrote:Every dog I've ever known has liked horse poop.

I mean, that's yummy stuff.

Must be! My dogs run from pile to pile.(with my taking up the rear, yelling "leave-it!" :oops: lol )..extra good if its fresh and steamy. :yucky:

Noriko525
Bully Ambassador

Postby Noriko525 » Tue May 26, 2009 12:04 pm

I have a poop eater who is also currently in remission as well... And he's lucky, because it probably saved his life lol (j/k of course...well, kind of!) I have been so fed up with this dog and ready to give him away to whoever would take him on more occasions then I can even count. I've been woken up at 4am to the smell of poop vomit all over our upstairs more times then I can even count. I think I even posted on here about it because I was literally to the point of tears and was starting to hate my dog for his disgusting habit and the poop vomit that ALWAYS followed a few hours later.

NOTHING worked and believe me I tried every single suggestion given. Eventually I just started to watch him like a hawk from behind the glass door and would fling the door open and scare the bejeezus out of him everytime he would head towards one of Pearl's poop piles. It worked, but, Treyce is also THE strangest dog that walks this planet... I'd bet a million trillion dollars on that if I had it so, I don't know if that would work for every poop eating dog.

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Tue May 26, 2009 12:51 pm

Noriko525 wrote:
NOTHING worked and believe me I tried every single suggestion given. Eventually I just started to watch him like a hawk from behind the glass door and would fling the door open and scare the bejeezus out of him everytime he would head towards one of Pearl's poop piles. It worked, but, Treyce is also THE strangest dog that walks this planet... I'd bet a million trillion dollars on that if I had it so, I don't know if that would work for every poop eating dog.

roflmao

I watch from behind the glass door too and fling the door open and scare the sh't out of her when she heads for a turd lol

It is so funny to watch them get startled and look at you like, "What?! I wasn't doing anything!!!"

NewOrleansSaint
Bully Ambassador

Postby NewOrleansSaint » Tue May 26, 2009 1:12 pm

Saint doesn't eat his own poop, but he will eat any and all cat crap that he finds on walks. I have to watch for it, or he'll grab it in a second. :yucky:

He also has a fondness for my parent's dogs' poop. I go visit my parents about once a month. I ask them to clean up the yard before I come over. They do, but they often miss a turd or two. As soon as I let Saint out in the yard he begins the hunt. I follow him around with a poop scooper and when he gets close I tell him to leave it and scoop it up. It's pretty annoying. Especially since last weekend, I couldn't grab the scooper fast enough and he sucked one down before I could even get the words "leave it" out of my mouth. :yucky:

He's lucky he's cute . . .

riley_23
Adolescent Bully

Postby riley_23 » Tue May 26, 2009 4:49 pm

Trogdor will eat his own poop, but only if it was an accident in his kennel. Then he will proceed to puke up the poo. Not the best thing to come home to that's for sure. Thank god it's only happened twice. It was almost like he ate it cause he was ashamed that he pood in the first place. Now Chloe loves goat and chicken poo. She lick's it off my moms boots! She also likes to graze on it when we take her out to the barn. (not that we let her). WE try our best to keep her out of it.

pitahaulic
Newborn Bully

Re: poop eaters

Postby pitahaulic » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:02 am

It's good to know that I'm not alone!! Deacon and Dakota don't do it but the puppies, Abby and Murphy both hunt for cat crap! We have several cats in the neighborhood that just run free and use our yard as a litterbox. We had to start taking the puppies out on leashes to keep them from sniffing it out. I knew there were ways to stop them from eating their own poop but are we supposed to ask our neighbors to do that for their cats?? I don't think they would care anyways. One neighbor, when she decided to put her cat out because she was tired of cleaning fur off her couch, told us not to send our dogs to eat her cat!!! Lovely huh? Anyways, off topic... I'm just glad to know that mu dogs are not retarded!! :thumbsup:

Return to “Health Issues”