Rosy is getting sunburned

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
wdninjn
Adolescent Bully

Rosy is getting sunburned

Postby wdninjn » Thu May 28, 2009 6:29 am

She didnt get quite as pink last summer,
she seems to to be a little uncomfortable too ,does any body know of a remedy?can I use sunblock made for humans?her hair is almost transparent on the white parts of Her.She's had a pretty hard time of it this year already getting run over and all.Her ears and nose I worry about the most She lies in the sun every morning if I put Her in the back yard even though there is shade all day is there something I can add to her diet?

Amie

Postby Amie » Thu May 28, 2009 6:57 am

wdninjn
Adolescent Bully

Postby wdninjn » Thu May 28, 2009 8:15 am

Amie I Love You People ,I am sooo tarded I searched the topic or querie whichever and it came up with 12,000 different hits and I chased a few and none I saw were related so I figured start a new thread ,anyways all I have on hand is coppertone sport waterproof spf30 ,since its 12 after six and none of the Bosses have called me back yet its another day w no Roofing so no money ,damned reccession .Bless You and Thank You :peace: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hoyden
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby Hoyden » Thu May 28, 2009 8:23 am

Before we lost Petey, I used to use a powdered sunscreen on him. The lotions and sprays were a real pain to get on him and he wouldn't cooperate with me.

I found this powdered mineral sunblock that was the bomb. It's meant for humans to dust on their skin, but it worked great on the dog when I used a huge fluffy brush that I got at Walmart. He'd sit there and let me powder his head and nose.

It's called Natural Reflections, it's made by Everyday Minerals. It gives great protection from the sun with out the hassle. I take a medication that makes me very prone to burning, so this powder has been a real life saver for me.

https://www.everydayminerals.com/index. ... &Itemid=44

Natural Reflections Fair is great for light colored dogs.

twilliams558
Adolescent Bully

Postby twilliams558 » Thu May 28, 2009 8:25 am

Oliver sunburns on his nose. I put johnsons baby no tear 50 proof sunblock on his nose before he goes outside.

He hates it and wrinkles his nose up at the injustice of having to wear baby sunblock, but it works wonders.

titan
Newborn Bully

Postby titan » Sun May 31, 2009 4:36 pm

No human grade sun block is not fine. It is made for human skin which differs greatly from canine. here is some info from a company called Epi Pet
The only sunscreen in the pet industry that meets the FDA's ingredient testing standards as required by the FDA for such a product to be legal.
Human sunscreens are not formulated nor are they prepared to be compatible with the skin of pets.

NOT TO BE USED ON CATS

Who needs Sun Protector Sunscreens?

Short and thin haired pets
White and light haired pets
White and pink skinned pets
Hairless dog breeds
Breeds predisposed to skin tumors (i.e. boxers, dobermans, bull dogs, pit bull terriers, bull terriers, bichons, poodles, schnauzers and others)
Outside living pets
Shaved down pets
Pets with allergic and inflammed skin
Working dogs
All pets subjected to excessive sun exposure as during activities such as boating, hiking, visits to the dog park, walking and visits to the beach.

Why use Sun Protector Sunscreen?

To prevent sunburns, especially on light skinned pets
The prevent the pain associated with sunburn
To reduce exposure to damaging UVA and UVB sun rays
To protect against the development of malignant skin tumors such as melanomas, carcinomas, sarcomas and mast cell tumors type II
To prevent skin inflammation that can lead to dermatitus which can aggravate pre-existing skin diseases

Why use Epi-Pet's Sun Protector Sunscreen?

It is the only pet sunscreen that meets the FDA guidelines for ingredient stability
Waterproof
Quick Dry Formulation
Non-Greasy, it doesn't leave an oily film like human sunscreens
It includes sunscreen ingredients that rate equivalent to 30-40 SPF in human sunscreens
It is effective in blocking both UVA and UVB sun rays

The unique bag on valve spray can is environmentally friendly and it provides a constant spray from all angles
It contains vitamin E and other ingredients that act as antioxidants and skin enrichers
It offers a pleasant vanilla fragrance after application

Ingredients and Functions

Ethylhexl Methoxycinnamate (Sunscreen
Octyl Salicylate (Sunscreen)
Homosalate (Sunscreen)
Benzophenone-3 (Sunscreen)
Alcohol Denaturated (Disinfectant, Grease Cutter)
Aqua (Water)
Ethyllhexyl Salicylate (Sunscreen + Solubilizer)
C-12-15 Alkyl Benzoate (Emulsifier - provides the "good skin feel")
Acrylates/Octylacrylamide Copolymer (Resin Barrier for Water Proofing)
Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin-E, Antioxidant, Skin Conditioner, Skin Desensitizer)
Parfume (Vanilla Fragrance)

plus some sun screens contain chemicals that are poison to dogs

titan
Newborn Bully

Postby titan » Sun May 31, 2009 4:37 pm

No human grade sun block is not fine. It is made for human skin which differs greatly from canine. here is some info from a company called Epi Pet
The only sunscreen in the pet industry that meets the FDA's ingredient testing standards as required by the FDA for such a product to be legal.
Human sunscreens are not formulated nor are they prepared to be compatible with the skin of pets.

NOT TO BE USED ON CATS

Who needs Sun Protector Sunscreens?

Short and thin haired pets
White and light haired pets
White and pink skinned pets
Hairless dog breeds
Breeds predisposed to skin tumors (i.e. boxers, dobermans, bull dogs, pit bull terriers, bull terriers, bichons, poodles, schnauzers and others)
Outside living pets
Shaved down pets
Pets with allergic and inflammed skin
Working dogs
All pets subjected to excessive sun exposure as during activities such as boating, hiking, visits to the dog park, walking and visits to the beach.

Why use Sun Protector Sunscreen?

To prevent sunburns, especially on light skinned pets
The prevent the pain associated with sunburn
To reduce exposure to damaging UVA and UVB sun rays
To protect against the development of malignant skin tumors such as melanomas, carcinomas, sarcomas and mast cell tumors type II
To prevent skin inflammation that can lead to dermatitus which can aggravate pre-existing skin diseases

Why use Epi-Pet's Sun Protector Sunscreen?

It is the only pet sunscreen that meets the FDA guidelines for ingredient stability
Waterproof
Quick Dry Formulation
Non-Greasy, it doesn't leave an oily film like human sunscreens
It includes sunscreen ingredients that rate equivalent to 30-40 SPF in human sunscreens
It is effective in blocking both UVA and UVB sun rays

The unique bag on valve spray can is environmentally friendly and it provides a constant spray from all angles
It contains vitamin E and other ingredients that act as antioxidants and skin enrichers
It offers a pleasant vanilla fragrance after application

Ingredients and Functions

Ethylhexl Methoxycinnamate (Sunscreen
Octyl Salicylate (Sunscreen)
Homosalate (Sunscreen)
Benzophenone-3 (Sunscreen)
Alcohol Denaturated (Disinfectant, Grease Cutter)
Aqua (Water)
Ethyllhexyl Salicylate (Sunscreen + Solubilizer)
C-12-15 Alkyl Benzoate (Emulsifier - provides the "good skin feel")
Acrylates/Octylacrylamide Copolymer (Resin Barrier for Water Proofing)
Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin-E, Antioxidant, Skin Conditioner, Skin Desensitizer)
Parfume (Vanilla Fragrance)

plus some sun screens contain chemicals that are poison to dogs

wdninjn
Adolescent Bully

Postby wdninjn » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:13 pm

Thanks for the headsup

Cherry
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Cherry » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:15 pm

I ordered the Epi Pet today, thanks to this thread. Looking forward to seeing how my dog reacts to it. She has allergies so hopefully she does well with it on her coat.

titan
Newborn Bully

Postby titan » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:34 pm

No Problem! I came across Epi-Pet when looking for natural dog products to add to my web store and when I food them I was having an issue with my boy Titan. He has seasonal alopicia so I decided to order some before I brought them on as a company I would sell. I must tell you that I am very impressed at the results I am getting.

bethh
Super Bully

Postby bethh » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:22 pm

Great tip! I'll look for Epi pet asap. Otis KNOWS when I goin' for the Baby Coppertone - he finds the best places to hide and then I have to give chase :)

Return to “Health Issues”