Food Amount

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
FujiFig
Adolescent Bully

Food Amount

Postby FujiFig » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:29 pm

I'm wondering if I'm feeding Socs too much or too little. I feed him raw and he eats between 4 to 6 pounds of raw a day. I know he's a growing puppy - so I want to make sure I'm feeding him the correct amount. He's around 6 months old - 24 inches at the shoulder, and 50 lbs. He has a very lean build, mostly muscle and very little fat. If I am feeding him to little - what is the correct amount? If it is too much - should I be concerned about parasites?

KadillacGrrl
Addicted to PBF

Postby KadillacGrrl » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:32 pm

You should go by his body condition. From how you describe, he sounds just right. The last rib or two should be visible, and you should easily feel them... and they should have spinal/hip coverage and good tone.

Uahi
Newborn Bully

Re: Food Amount

Postby Uahi » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:36 pm

FujiFig wrote:I'm wondering if I'm feeding Socs too much or too little. I feed him raw and he eats between 4 to 6 pounds of raw a day. I know he's a growing puppy - so I want to make sure I'm feeding him the correct amount. He's around 6 months old - 24 inches at the shoulder, and 50 lbs. He has a very lean build, mostly muscle and very little fat. If I am feeding him to little - what is the correct amount? If it is too much - should I be concerned about parasites?

6# a day if your dog is 300 pounds is good. My 75# bullie gets 1.5 lb split in two meals. 6lbs is way too much food.

KadillacGrrl
Addicted to PBF

Postby KadillacGrrl » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:46 pm

Uahi, you can't make a blanket statement like that especially when it comes to raw. I had to feed way more than the suggested to keep weight on, and the other big factor is we're talking about a growing puppy here. It's scary how much they can eat during growth spurts.

Amie

Postby Amie » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:40 pm

I agree with KG - keep an eye on him, and as he gets older and his growth rate slows you'll find you need to cut back on food to a much more reasonable quantity. For now, as he grows, give him what he needs to be the right weight.

1lila1
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby 1lila1 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:59 pm

Angel is almost seven months old and is 39 pounds. He eats between 1 1/2 to 2 pounds a day. He may have some issues with his hips and has some poor conformation issues (like splayed easty westy feet). Over nutrition is thought to contribute to these things so I watch his diet carefully. Last month he got kind of chunky but then went through a growth spurt and has leaned out a bit. Because of these issues he's not exercised really hard either, just walks, 15 min or so of the flirt pole each day, and the occasional romp with Lila in the back yard.

So you've really go to customize the amount to your dog. I've seen anywhere from 3% to 10% of a puppy's weight as the recommended amount to feed. Like others have said, watch his weight, but IMO with puppies it's better to slightly underfeed than overfeed.

Uahi
Newborn Bully

Postby Uahi » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:00 pm

KadillacGrrl wrote:Uahi, you can't make a blanket statement like that especially when it comes to raw. I had to feed way more than the suggested to keep weight on, and the other big factor is we're talking about a growing puppy here. It's scary how much they can eat during growth spurts.
Its not a blanket statement. Im just wondering, do you feed raw?

Amie

Postby Amie » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:07 pm

I feed raw.

Why would you say six pounds is too much based on what she described?

It sounds like it would be too much for your dog, and it's definitely too much for mine, but the build she described for her dog sounds very good, and we know he's a growing pup, so eating (and using) more than an equal weight adult.

Uahi
Newborn Bully

Postby Uahi » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:10 pm

6# is 12% of 50 (if my brain still works) Like lila said being over weight is not good for pups. But if it works for you then good luck. I fed raw for a while, and currently have 2 bullies and a terrier on it and I have never fed that much to a 50 pound dog. My English mastif on ly got 4-5 pounds a day and he was an active 235#.

Amie

Postby Amie » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:13 pm

I understand the math, and also understand that overweight is bad.

My point, and KG's point, was that the body structure being described by the OP was not one of an overweight dog.

So why would you say flat out it's too much? That's what I don't understand.

Uahi
Newborn Bully

Postby Uahi » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:26 pm

Amie wrote:I understand the math, and also understand that overweight is bad.

My point, and KG's point, was that the body structure being described by the OP was not one of an overweight dog.

So why would you say flat out it's too much? That's what I don't understand.
that first post with the math is not for you.

but this is.

assuming by the posters question that the OP is new to this.

Prior to 6 mopnths the pup will grow at an accelerated rate. at about 6 months the growth starts to slow and metabalism slows considerably causing the body to turn protien into stored fat.. That is why I say it is too much food.

Amie

Postby Amie » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:33 pm

Then, if the OP is new to raw, wouldn't the answer be to watch the diet closely, and be ready to scale back as soon as the dog begins to put on weight, rather than just to say "no, that's too much food"?

KadillacGrrl
Addicted to PBF

Postby KadillacGrrl » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:34 pm

... and if the pup starts looking fat, time to cut back on the food.

I have fed all of my dogs raw, and am currently feeding one dog raw. I've studied the diet for many years in theory and practice. :)

Dogs need as much as they need at that point in time. If they are growing or working, they need more to maintain.

It wasn't raw, but at one point I was feeding Kitty SIX CUPS of Nature's Variety when all other dogs were doing great on 2-3. She was growing like a weed, was skinny and not gaining weight on 6 cups... I had to change her food. Every dog is different.

Uahi
Newborn Bully

Postby Uahi » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:38 pm

Amie wrote:Then, if the OP is new to raw, wouldn't the answer be to watch the diet closely, and be ready to scale back as soon as the dog begins to put on weight, rather than just to say "no, that's too much food"?
no because when someone who is not sure of propper nutrition starts to notice weight gain its usually worse then they think. You see yourself in the mirror every day and might not notice weight gain. Then you put on something and it doesn't fit. Is it easy to loose the weight?
Seeing the animal every day and not using a scale you will not notice the weight gain untill its a substancial weight gain. Then what? Keeping lean is easier then loosing fat.

Uahi
Newborn Bully

Postby Uahi » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:42 pm

Sorry Kaddi grl. I hope you dont think this is a jack,

Return to “Health Issues”