Food Amount

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Rinalia
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Rinalia » Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:44 pm

Uahi wrote: Is the diet done at a proper ratio. In the op it would have been nice to see a picture of the pup, but all of you know that 6# is a lot of food for a 50# dog, just some of you like to disagree with what i post.

Six pounds for a growing puppy is not necessarily a lot of food. When my puppy was six months and about 30-35 lbs, she was fed 10-12% of her body weight, which ended up being between 3-4 lbs a day...much more than her 2-3% at about 45 lbs. She was never fat or porky, but rather sighthound skinny. She only recently filled out at about 1.5 years of age.

The only thing I disagree with you on this particular thread is that 6 pounds is a lot of food for a 50 lb 6-mos old puppy. Feeding only 2-3 % of the bodyweight of a 6-mos old puppy could have very serious health consequences and would not encourage growth.

And yes, I absolutely agree that knowing what is fed is pertinent and useful to the discussion. I have not said otherwise.

FujiFig
Adolescent Bully

Postby FujiFig » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:24 pm

I know that's a lot of bone - that's why that isn't all he gets. That was one day's meal, that example was to show amount - NOT diet. I usually like to give him more of a daily variety - but we hadn't been to the store because of a death in the family so we were a little understocked. What he gets depends on what the store has, and when they have a poor selection (like only 1 package of very small chicken wings and boneless skinless thighs with an advertised low fat content all for more $$ than what I usually pay for what I want in the amount I want). He gets anything from pork part, chicken backs, breast, necks, giblets, leg quarters, wings and various innerds. He gets the same from turkies and he also gets beef parts when I can afford it and since I can't aford fish - that's why it's a fish dry food. He also gets lamb parts and various veggies. As for mixing the food - that was vet recommended. The vet said that when there isn't a good selection - to mix the food. Because it's mostly raw food anyway, the vet said that it doesn't matter. The ratio with the food is 3/4 raw and 1/4 dry. What's in the picture is the biggest ox-tail I've ever seen. They were in a package that the store that the meat-area manager said that he didn't think he was going to be able to sell because of it's size - so we got it for free. When wee feed things other than oxtails, they are vet provided chewy-bones.

As far as his breed - from looking at his siblings and mom (and description of the dad) - he looks to be a Doberman-Pit-Lab. The Pit is really in his face - it's hard to tell from the side. He also is the second smallest in his litter.

Uahi
Newborn Bully

Postby Uahi » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:22 pm

bottom line is you need to do some homework. I have been feeding Raw for years. I have proven myself with a 18 yr old APBT. like I said earlier. you need to have a baseline so you can judge what works for your dog. ps thats not an oxtail in the picture thats a cut bone. Like the one in a beef shank.

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:56 pm

Uahi wrote:bottom line is you need to do some homework.

x2

Feeding a raw, prey model diet is quite easy, but you still need to do some major research into the topic. There are tons of websites and tons of books about raw feeding, and they should be utilized.

And don't make any one source of information your "Bible". Get information from a lot of different sources (no one person knows everything and no one person has had every experience possible). Then you have a wide variety of experiences and "life lessons" to draw from.

And as a side note, that is definitely not an oxtail lol

Best of luck to you! Your pup is adorable!! :inlove:

FujiFig
Adolescent Bully

Postby FujiFig » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:09 am

I did my research - and I definitely don't mean to sound defensive (I am super happy I'm getting so much info!)- I just want to make sure everyone has the right infor because, over the years, I have given/recieved a lot of bad advice because of incorrect/incomplete info. I asked my mom about the bone (she bought the weird one) and she went and got it to show me - low and behold it is still intact (i thought it was the one in the photo, but the huge one is still in the fridge). So I asked her where the big one in the living room came from - she said Socs brought it in form outside...AHHHHHH! That bone is not in the house anymore, i thew it out as soon as she told me it was a mystery bone. I'll take your word for what it was - considering it probably came from my neighbors wandering dog who leaves things in our yard, and she eats anything. I did a lot of research, we have many books (BARF Diet (Billinghurst), Raw Dog Food: Make It Easy for You and Your Dog (Macdonald?), Raw Food and Health (Estes), and a couple others that were from the library) and vet guides that we feed from. Plus I've changed his diet a few times based on collected advice that I've gotten here from various people. He does NOT just get a few necks and wings ( I can lay out his diet for detailed examination if someone would like to review it, I'd appriciate it). My only request is that you not be nasty Uahi. I know I sounded defensive - and for that I'm sorry, I just want the best for my pup and want to make sure that people who give me advice know exactly what's going on. No one likes being accused of things, and I don't appriciate being accused of doing things that are knowingly bad for my pup. But yeah, he has a vet oppointment to check for worms (again) and hopefully that will answer some questions.

1lila1
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby 1lila1 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:28 am

When you say he eats six pounds of food a day are you including the big huge bones in those weights? If so, that might be why he eats so much and is still so thin. Although he didn't look too thin in the picture. I'm just wondering if maybe he's served six pounds (or four or whatever) but he's actually consuming less since they don't usually eat those huge bones but rather just knaw on them and play with them. It's just an idea!

Uahi
Newborn Bully

Postby Uahi » Tue Jun 09, 2009 2:58 pm

just wondering, hows the feeding going. I am still anxious to see a weekly feeding sched.

FujiFig
Adolescent Bully

Postby FujiFig » Thu Jun 18, 2009 3:23 am

Ok, sorry it's taken so long - my internet keep deciding I'm not cool enough to have online access. Fortunately my friends are relatively nice people who let me use theirs.

Anyhow, here is Socs's weekly feeding schedule. It varies slightly depending on what the store has and whether or not he has an allergy attack.

Normal week - he eats at 2:00 pm (I can't for the life of me get him to eat any earlier!) and then at 7:30.

He does sometimes get different combos of these depending on what is available, but I try to keep it regular.
For his first feeding, he gets 2 Bravo Beef patties (sometimes substituted with ground turkey or chicken) (together around 1lb) and 1 chicken breast (about 1.5-2 lbs) for meal 1 that around 2.5-3 lbs. He doesn't like beef much (weird), so I have to cover the beef patties with the chicken blood and drippings.

His second meal is 2 turkey necks (about 2-2.5 lbs together, we get the big ones) and usually a turkey wing or a chicken leg quarter (usually around 2-2.5 lbs). I give him some veggies at this meal because, I have no idea why - but they don't sit well if I give them at his first meal. He usually gets steamed carrots, unless they are fun chewies - then he gets raw ones - but they aren't as good for him so they're just for fun. He's a veggie thief - can't leave him alone in the kitchen with them - so he assorted veggies and fruits that are dog friendly (peas and pods, apples, strawberries, bananas, and occasionally cooked potatoes). They all, of course, are given in moderation with the majority of his diet being solid meat.

His treats are all pure meat unless I'm giving him a fruit or veggie as a treat. He gets chicken breast jerky, lamb lungs, 100% beef jerky (for dogs, not people - and it's the only beef-food he will voluntarily eat.) dehydrated chicken pieces.

Allergy attack days. My pup is allergic to just about everything - but the vet says that the symptoms aren't severe for him to want to do the tests :po: , so I have a special diet for him on his allergy days.

He has a very hard time digesting meat on those days - that's why I have the dry that I feed him. It's the Canidae dry (ocean fish, lamb) - it's the best that I can get near my town. I don't want him to be on solid kibble on those days - so I try to mix in a little of the beef patties. He would probably eat more if I didn't - but I don't want to do too much diet change. He also gets, instead of his normal treats, shark cartilage treats that he really likes. I sometimes mix in a little low fat yogurt with probiotics or a very small amount of honey to get him to eat the kibble-beef mixture; it seems to work without upsetting his stomach.

I don't feed him a lot of beef, pork, or lamb, because I cannot afford it. I live in a very expensive community and, being the unemployed college student that I am, I don't have all that much money coming in, and as it is - he and my rats get most of it, and my parents pay for the rest - as their dog eats raw too.

Of course, like most spoiled pups, he gets things that aren't that good for him - but he gets them sooooo infrequently that it doesn't affect him. He does get sugar-free all natural strawberry frozen yogurt after our walks when we go to a town about 45 mins away. We go maybe once a month or so - it's a very pit-friendly community so it's always nice to see him getting hugs form kids instead of shouting from concerned parents.

If you have any specific questions, let me know - I'm eager to hear what tips and alterations that are suggested.

-Thanks, and hopefully my internet will be working tomorrow!

Return to “Health Issues”