Button has demodex

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
BabyReba

Button has demodex

Postby BabyReba » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:46 pm

Just got back from the vet. Button has localized demodex, which we're gonna try to treat with Goodwinol ointment for now. If that doesn't work, it's on to the more aggressive treatments (ivermectin or whatever that stuff is in Interceptor that's supposed to be effective in treating demo).

Won't anything ever got *right* for this poor dog?

First his cherry eye.

Then his temperament problems.

Now demodex.

Nothing has been severe, but it's all been challenging. For him and for me. Sucks.

littleCloClo
Bully Ambassador

Postby littleCloClo » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:53 pm

Aw, man! :po:

I hope the initial treatment is successful!

Amie

Postby Amie » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:59 pm

Oh that SUCKS. Butthead, man, what is going on with you!?

Make sure Maddy or Aja can let Sonny's owner know so she can keep an eye out and hopefully catch anything early if it arises.

julie64
Addicted to PBF

Postby julie64 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 5:23 pm

Poor little guy. I hope the goodwinol ointment works.

Beowulf
Addicted to PBF

Postby Beowulf » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:07 pm

Damn, Erin. I wish poor Button could catch a break. The only break he seems to have had is having you care about him. I hope the Goodwinol works and you don't have to go with the hard stuff. :frown:

KadillacGrrl
Addicted to PBF

Postby KadillacGrrl » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:20 pm

Oh srsly!?

:hug:

PitFriend
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitFriend » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:59 pm

Well crap. Hope it responds to the ointment.

ammadien
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby ammadien » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:16 pm

Zuki had it when she was 8weeks, then again after a few treatments with promeris(sp?) she seems to have gotten rid of it after the last treatment. It works as a flea/tick thing too. Seemed to work for us. hope things straighten out.

Nate

Deniselynn
BANNED

Postby Deniselynn » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:23 pm

Aww, Baby Button! :( Erin, how did he get that?

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:27 pm

erin, order Neem Oil from www.botanicaldogs.com and spread that on the mange spots, its a natural insecticide that will kill the mange mites, its VERY sticky and smells GROSS, but it works, i used it on chance and it helped alot..

stress brings out demodex, all dogs have the mites, but some dogs when really stressed bring out the demodex in full..

also get DMG Immune Liquid too, that will help also...

if its a small spot or a few small spots the goodwinol shampoo, a good diet, salmon oil, neem oil rubbed on the spots and DMG immune liquid will help...

BabyReba

Postby BabyReba » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:38 pm

thanks, ME, i'll order some more stuff.

Deniselynn wrote:Aww, Baby Button! :( Erin, how did he get that?

denise, all dogs are born with some amount of demodex mites, and that's normal. but some dogs are more prone to problems as a result of an overpopulation of them on their bodies. weaker immune systems, poor nutrition, stress, and other things can result in demodex flareups in dogs susceptible.

so basically, it's a condition you try to get under control and then hope you can keep flareups at bay . . . or prevent them altogether.

most dogs, apparently, can be completely healed/cured. other dogs that are hit severely with demo can die from it.

PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:48 pm

BabyReba wrote: weaker immune systems, poor nutrition, stress, and other things can result in demodex flareups in dogs susceptible.
soooo, he fits a lot from his early life and the stress just because...

sheesh... you mean we might actually need to send more than good wishes??? you can't say the poor thing can't catch a break because he did find you :clap Thank Goodness. :clap

BabyReba

Postby BabyReba » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:58 pm

it's just a simple case right now, he's got a few spots on his flanks and one small spot on his face. hopefully we caught it soon enough that we can keep it from spreading.

i honestly thought it was an allergy or something, but then it started to look suspicious so i thought we'd be better safe than sorry and got an appointment for a skin scraping.

the good news is that he was really good at the vet's office. we went to a new place, and he was pretty uncomfortable at first, but by the end, he was napping in the exam room while i was talking to the doctor. so he definitely chilled out there for a bit.

Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Postby Nickdawg » Tue Jun 02, 2009 11:25 pm

good to hear he settled at the vet's office, that is good progress :) sorry to hear about the mange, it has been one thing after another... I hope I am not out of order (where the heck did I get that phrase, my dad? lol) but if you are ever needing $ for the button with all his various needs, I would definitely contribute as would others I am sure... so let me/us know. you have done so damn much for this sweet (albeit screaming) boy.

InBearsMemory
Bully Ambassador

Re:

Postby InBearsMemory » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:00 am

What ME said!
You can also mix the Neem Oil with a mild oatmeal shampoo and give a bath twice a week until everything clears up. That way you get the oil all over the dog and prevent the mange from spreading. You can also make a spray by mixing neem oil, water and a few drops of dog shampoo to prevent future breakouts.

Return to “Health Issues”