Button has demodex

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
InBearsMemory
Bully Ambassador

Re:

Postby InBearsMemory » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:03 pm

BabyReba wrote:His spots look about the same to me . . . he doesn't seem to have gotten any worse, but it's kinda hard to tell if he's getting better.

We found some pure Neem oil yesterday at the Indian grocery store (Mike Zev's offer to pick some up at the Indian store near him reminded me that we have one about 15 minutes away). I diluted it with some organic JoJoba oil and rubbed it into his spots a couple of times yesterday.

Hoping we'll see some improvement with that.

And Doc, it turns out, loves the way Neem oil tastes and now seems to think Button is a tasty treat . . . he's trying to lick him and sniff him every time he comes near. lol

If you just use the Neem oil like that I would suggest rubbing the oil on the spots twice a day. If it's a very light case it should clear up within about two to three weeks.

Deniselynn
BANNED

Postby Deniselynn » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:55 pm

I hope the Neem helps him. lol at Doc.

Darlazmum
Forum Junky

Postby Darlazmum » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:57 pm

Maryellen wrote:erin, order Neem Oil from www.botanicaldogs.com and spread that on the mange spots, its a natural insecticide that will kill the mange mites, its VERY sticky and smells GROSS, but it works, i used it on chance and it helped alot..

stress brings out demodex, all dogs have the mites, but some dogs when really stressed bring out the demodex in full..

also get DMG Immune Liquid too, that will help also...

if its a small spot or a few small spots the goodwinol shampoo, a good diet, salmon oil, neem oil rubbed on the spots and DMG immune liquid will help...

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: Agreed totally worked for DUKE!

Darlazmum
Forum Junky

Postby Darlazmum » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:58 pm

Oh and I just used the shampoo, let sit a couple minutes and then rinse, started growing hair back after about 2 weeks, and I use as their weekly shampoo

BabyReba

Postby BabyReba » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:40 am

i made my own neem shampoo with an organic dog shampoo i had here and the neem oil, and i bathed him with it last night.

he is so incredibly soft today. but he smells like a rotten peanut! lol

tia_leigha
Addicted to PBF

Postby tia_leigha » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:47 am

I hated demodex. And when we got it, i didnt know about the ivermectin.
Our old a** vet prescribed Dozer mitaban(sp) dips.
Since I was a tech, he let me treat him @ home. I would have to bathe dozer, scrub him, and then pour this poisonous smelling stuff all over him and put him in his kennel to air dry.
I hated watching him stink and shiver with those big sad brown eyes.

I thought..there has to be a better way..

Poor Button. Sounds like he's having a tough time.I dont know much about him! I havent been around, but with a name like Button I bet hes adorable and it sucks that things arent going well. :(
Best of luck to you through the demodex battle! Dozer and I are rooting for you guys! :peace:

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:33 pm

BabyReba wrote:His spots look about the same to me . . . he doesn't seem to have gotten any worse, but it's kinda hard to tell if he's getting better.

Its actually normal for them to get worse before they get better because you're rubbing out all the hairs that have stopped growing from inflammation, and the old hairs all have to come out for new hairs to grow... So not getting worse is actually a good sign!

BabyReba

Postby BabyReba » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:34 am

OK, today i see improvement (or what appears to be improvement to my untrained eye!).

Some of the areas where the hair loss was most noticeable, on his rear legs, were kind of red and irritated and the skin is starting to look healthy again. So that's a good thing.

He's also not itching it or messing with it anymore, which is probably why it's starting to heal up.

Yay!

InBearsMemory
Bully Ambassador

Postby InBearsMemory » Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:59 am

BabyReba wrote:OK, today i see improvement (or what appears to be improvement to my untrained eye!).

Some of the areas where the hair loss was most noticeable, on his rear legs, were kind of red and irritated and the skin is starting to look healthy again. So that's a good thing.

He's also not itching it or messing with it anymore, which is probably why it's starting to heal up.

Yay!

When you use the Neem Shampoo, which should be used twice a week for mange the skin will look irritated for a few days, especially in the beginning but the dog will show big improvements after about 4-5 baths. The damaged and infected skin will kind of flake off revealing a much healthier looking dog. You can speed things up a little by putting a bit of the oil on the affected areas twice a day.

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:09 pm

i started using neem oil on ruby tonight on 3 spots that she continously itches.. so far since applying it she hasnt itched once.. hopefully the neem oil will keep Button from itching to ..

NewOrleansSaint
Bully Ambassador

Re: Button has demodex

Postby NewOrleansSaint » Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:21 pm

How are Button and Ruby doing? Y'all both went the neem oil route, right?

I've noticed that Saint started scratching his neck more than usual. At first I thought he was just picking up fleas or something from the yard, but no. It looks like he's fairing up with a little demodex again. (He had a few spots of localized demodex as a pup (a year ago) and was treated with Ivermectin.)

I was going to try and find some neem oil, but we don't have any of those nifty Indian stores around here. Would they have that at a feed store?

Return to “Health Issues”