Scooting

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
creeping death
Bully Ambassador

Scooting

Postby creeping death » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:29 pm

When is it considered too much to take her to the vet? I am not being cheap by not taking her to the vet, but I want to know first what is too much...

anyways, I noticed she does this once in a while, about every couple days sometimes weeks in between. She started this about a month ago. She only does this for a few seconds then poops afterwards...sometimes she'll do it a second time. Her bum isn't red or irritated looking at all and she's never had anal gland problems in the past (that I know of).

She just had her annual vaccination and check up in Feb. and the vet said everythng looked good.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:33 pm

What do you mean by "too much"?
If your dog has a medical concern, you should bring it in.
I'm not sure if you mean too much money or...?

It could be anything, but usually indicates worms or even impacted anal glands.

Savage Destiny
Bully Ambassador

Postby Savage Destiny » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:33 pm

She probably needs her anal glands expressed. lol Take her down to a grooming shop, see if you can get an appointment for A.G. expression with a bath involved, because MAN do they make a stink!

creeping death
Bully Ambassador

Postby creeping death » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:38 pm

what I mean by too much is when is it too much scooting to be of concern?

I'll see how much it costs to have her anal glands expressed at my groomer. I always thought impacted anal glands was followed by redness, and extreme scooting (not nearly as much as Zoey does)...hmmm

Money is of no concern for my pets, it's just that I don't want to waste a trip to the vet for him to say everything is A-OK.

iluvmypithannah
Bully Ambassador

Postby iluvmypithannah » Wed Jun 03, 2009 12:53 pm

They may just be full (not impacted) and haven't expressed by themselves when she poops lately which would be why they aren't red and irritated.

Deniselynn
BANNED

Postby Deniselynn » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:04 pm

WTF Amber? I don't see you for how long and this is how you return? Talking about impacted anal glands?! lol

iluvmypithannah
Bully Ambassador

Postby iluvmypithannah » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:06 pm

Deniselynn wrote:WTF Amber? I don't see you for how long and this is how you return? Talking about impacted anal glands?! lol

lol I know right?!? Work has been insane and today (knock on wood) it's slow!! YIPPEE!! So...here I am!! :))

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:46 pm

what I mean by too much is when is it too much scooting to be of concern?

Scooting is not normal. Period. If I saw my dog do it once, I wouldn't think anything of it-- but more than once, and something is going on.
Do you know how to express the anal glands yourself? If not, make an appointment to have it done and they can teach you how to do it in case there's a problem again.

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:27 pm

Scooting actually can be perfectly normal. Often its just another method of itching.

I would CHECK the anal glands but I refuse, as it is unhealthy to over do it, to express anal glands when the dog can do it themselves.

If they feel full often a bit of pumpkin solves the problem. Canned, not spiced.

My female scoots a lot actually. She's a compact body dog, unable to reach her hiney to clean/itch. My male chi will once in a while, if HE does it more often I DO watch carefully. In the past he has had a gland burst (and heal perfectly normally) with no signs of scooting prior. My other dogs don't do it often but depending on what I feed that day (I feed raw) I may see a bit of scooting here and there the next couple days.

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:55 pm

I stand corrected, then! I guess I would think it was not normal at all for my dogs. I have never known a dog who does this normally and doesn't have another issue going on.

Good luck! I hope your dog is fine. :))

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:03 pm

Allie wrote:I stand corrected, then! I guess I would think it was not normal at all for my dogs. I have never known a dog who does this normally and doesn't have another issue going on.

Good luck! I hope your dog is fine. :))

I agree and hope she's fine - some dogs can, some dogs have issues and can't.
Remember, if they are let get too full they can become impacted and infected.
The elderly Basset we have now may need surgery due to his anal glands being neglected for far too long.

creeping death
Bully Ambassador

Postby creeping death » Wed Jun 03, 2009 10:30 pm

I think I may just play it safe and take her to the groomer to have them expresses...they haven't been done for a quite a while.

Thanks for all your advice :thumbsup:

jlphilli
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby jlphilli » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:21 am

Def. just get them expressed----that's probably all there is to it. (and I'd be surprised if it was over $10 to have it done anyways...)

heartbullies

Postby heartbullies » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:54 am

jlphilli wrote:Def. just get them expressed----that's probably all there is to it. (and I'd be surprised if it was over $10 to have it done anyways...)

woah! $29 here. ugh, in every possible context.

GeorgiasMama
Newborn Bully

Postby GeorgiasMama » Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:48 pm

A little late on this one but my mom's dachshund scoots alot when she needs her glands emptied. Our vet told her to also hold a warm, damp wash cloth on her bottom for a few minutes to ease the itching and in some cases it will relax the gland and it will empty a little. Sounds gross but it works!

Return to “Health Issues”