ivermectin is cuasing Blue to throw up

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Bluepit316
Newborn Bully

Postby Bluepit316 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:11 pm

his regular food is iams. i did however find some on this topic and wrote down some other good brands to get that would be better. I know some things he cant eat like macadamia nuts,grapes,raisins, and onions. dont know what els though. I didnt know about the sodium or fats, thanks.

Matthew

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:13 pm

Sure - I mean, people don't think of it often, and some 'scraps' or people food is okay, eggs are commonly given as is yogurt and cottage cheese (low fat unless the dog is underweight), boiled hamburger, not fried, boiled chicken breast, not fried, some rices, some vegetables such as carrots or green beans. are commonly given and aren't bad in small amounts.

Bluepit316
Newborn Bully

Postby Bluepit316 » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:24 pm

Cool, thanks again. I wouldn't mind him putting on some more weight. I wouldnt let him get over weight like so many dogs I see. But gaining weight with the iams just isnt going to happen. I remember the more healthy things for him and moderate the pizza..lol. I thought the salad was good. I was sitting there eating some and he was all like "give me some" I said do you like spinach? Sure enough he loves it with Caesar.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:48 pm

You could do better with your money than the IAMS.
For instance, we use Costco brand, Kirkland chicken/rice, and the dogs do wonderful on it.
Diamond Naturals is similar.
Natural Balance is good for dogs with skin problems - in fact, my parent's dog had hair loss on the IAMS and I convinced them to try Kirkland and their dog cleared up. Iams has corn and it sometimes doesn't do well with dogs.
This is a good dog food site :

http://www.dogfoodproject.com/

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:12 pm

Bluepit316 wrote:Well I dont need a vet at this point, i have the medicine. I will in the future. Whats foods wil boost his immune? For dinner he had some spinach with Caesar and parma cheese, chicken with rice, and a little sherbet ice cream..lol Happy dog! No Ivermectin today at all. Ill start in another day pr two at a low level.

Msvette had some good suggestions.

I told you in another post. You need to STOP feeding him human food and junk on a regular basis!! He needs to be on a good DOG food!

Bluepit316
Newborn Bully

Postby Bluepit316 » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:11 pm

lol I feel like me pitbull forum Momma is talking to me..lol I will, ill get him on good food and lay off the junk food, I promise.

msvett, thanks for the dogfood link, very good! We have a good mom and pop owned pet store near here thats carrys the real good brands. Ill be paying them a visit soon.

Matthew

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Fri Jun 12, 2009 8:41 pm

Bluepit316 wrote:lol I feel like me pitbull forum Momma is talking to me..lol I will, ill get him on good food and lay off the junk food, I promise.

Matthew

roflmao

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 2:51 pm

1.7 cc's is the amount of ivermectin I would have prescribed for this dog at the posted weight for multi-focal demodectic mange...

I would have started at 0.5 cc's for 2 weeks, then increased by 50% every 2 weeks until reaching that dose. Not all demodectic mange will be cured at lower doses... Its very important to watch for side effects at these high doses however, and to stop medication if side effects are noted. The most common side effects are neurologic, such as muscle tremors and siezures.

I know this is an old post, but couldn't help but chip in as there were multiple people ragging on the veterinarian who prescribed an appropriate dosage for THIS DOG and THIS PROBLEM.

How is your dog doing now?

Bluepit316
Newborn Bully

Postby Bluepit316 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:14 pm

Thanks for chiming in, This isnt old really. He's back to normal and for the last two days he's had .4 cc of Ivermectin. Though the first day it almost made him throw up but he didn't.

Matthew

Bluepit316
Newborn Bully

Postby Bluepit316 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:41 pm

Your from the quad citys? that wouldn't be the quad citys as in the AL shoals would it?

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 7:30 pm

Bluepit316 wrote:Your from the quad citys? that wouldn't be the quad citys as in the AL shoals would it?

Sadly no... the quad cities as in Iowa/Illinois.

Glad to hear your pup is feeling better.

MikeZev
Addicted to PBF

Postby MikeZev » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:41 pm

throwing everything up is probably a side effect that should cause you to re-eval the dosage though.

Darlazmum
Forum Junky

Postby Darlazmum » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:54 pm

Bluepit316 wrote:I talked to the vet, they said its not to much for what he's being treated for which is Demo Mange. They said stop for a couple days let his stomach get back to normal, then start with .1cc working up to 1.4cc.

I was reading about this last night and saw on another thread that someone was giving .3 cc per 10lbs of body weight. that would actually be 1.8cc.

:yucky: :frown: ?? dont know He's off it for now, ill make him somthing he will eat. ie Pizza..lol lol

OK now I know you think Man I need some heavy drugs to stop this mange, but THIS WORKED FOR ME. our puppy has spots, the one on his paw had started to ooze.

I used Neem oil shampoo from Holistic Dog. once a week I shower him and his hair has grown back, he's 8 months old now. I thought MAN this WORD needs to get spread. I'm no hippie dippy chick this is just a natural RADNESS to stopping demodectic mange.

His 2 main spots came back when he had his neutering, but on day 14 I got to shower him again and VOILA, hair starting to grow back, and we are on week two. I'm so glad I was turned onto it, the bottle was $15 and worth it, I've had it 4 months, and use it on all 3 dogs, it also deters fleas.

I went this route because they said Demodectic mange is already weakening the puppy's immune system, then you give them a gnarly drug like ivermectin..throwing up is totally possible, it's heavy duty.

So maybe this a route you can go?

Darlazmum
Forum Junky

Postby Darlazmum » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:55 pm

Bluepit316 wrote:I talked to the vet, they said its not to much for what he's being treated for which is Demo Mange. They said stop for a couple days let his stomach get back to normal, then start with .1cc working up to 1.4cc.

I was reading about this last night and saw on another thread that someone was giving .3 cc per 10lbs of body weight. that would actually be 1.8cc.

:yucky: :frown: ?? dont know He's off it for now, ill make him somthing he will eat. ie Pizza..lol lol

OK now I know you think Man I need some heavy drugs to stop this mange, but THIS WORKED FOR ME. our puppy has spots, the one on his paw had started to ooze.

I used Neem oil shampoo from Holistic Dog. once a week I shower him and his hair has grown back, he's 8 months old now. I thought MAN this WORD needs to get spread. I'm no hippie dippy chick this is just a natural RADNESS to stopping demodectic mange.

His 2 main spots came back when he had his neutering, but on day 14 I got to shower him again and VOILA, hair starting to grow back, and we are on week two. I'm so glad I was turned onto it, the bottle was $15 and worth it, I've had it 4 months, and use it on all 3 dogs, it also deters fleas.

I went this route because they said Demodectic mange is already weakening the puppy's immune system, then you give them a gnarly drug like ivermectin..throwing up is totally possible, it's heavy duty.

So maybe this a route you can go?

Bluepit316
Newborn Bully

Postby Bluepit316 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:51 am

Thanks Daralzmum,

I copied this post and will look for that Neem shampoo. Anything better is worth a try. I can totally see the logic in not continuing to weaken his immune. However, ill continue the Ivermectin "this" time. But ill keep this in mind for future treatments.

Matthew

Return to “Health Issues”