Back to Diamond Naturals we go.....

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
adamwilkes14
Matured Bully

Back to Diamond Naturals we go.....

Postby adamwilkes14 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:34 pm

About 5 weeks ago, long enough to go through 4 bags of food, we switched daisy from Diamond Naturals to Purina Healthy Morsels. We did it in an effort to save costs. However, about 3 weeks ago, I noticed that she had started shedding, we have had her since maybe late Feb and have never noticed this. My immediate thought was, what have we changed that would promote such a thing, well we changed her food, thats it. I then looked around here for info on shedding. I dont know honestly if it was the Purina or just her actually shedding her coat naturally, but it still happens to this day. I also noticed her poop piles were rather large, larger than I ever remember before. Now keep in mind when I say large, I mean soft ball sized poops 75% of the time. I also read on here that corn is about worthless in food, and from what I can gather from what I read on the label, the Purina is stocked fuller than a field in Nebraska with it. So anyways, today I went and picked up 40 pounds of Diamond Naturals and that is what she will be fed from here on out. When we were feeding before we were feeding the lamb and rice formula. We now have her on the chicken and rice formula. She has already scarfed down 4 cups of the stuff, she seems to like it alot better than the Pruina, which is great. I will keep watching her coat and poops to see if the Diamond gives any relief to the size of her poops as well as the shedding.

BigBadPibbul
Bully Ambassador

Postby BigBadPibbul » Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:22 pm

You should see reduced poops pretty quickly. Corn is about as worthless as it gets when it comes to dog food. You may want to talk to some of the people on here who feed Costco's Kirkland dog foods if you are looking for a good food at a good price, while I myself have not tried it I have heard a ton of good things about it. Good Luck!

adamwilkes14
Matured Bully

Postby adamwilkes14 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:57 pm

BigBadPibbul wrote:You should see reduced poops pretty quickly. Corn is about as worthless as it gets when it comes to dog food. You may want to talk to some of the people on here who feed Costco's Kirkland dog foods if you are looking for a good food at a good price, while I myself have not tried it I have heard a ton of good things about it. Good Luck!

We would do that, but the closest Costco is nearly 30 miles from my house,lol..thanks for the good luck wishes

suvtwo
Newborn Bully

Postby suvtwo » Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:31 pm

tractor supply has diamond naturall for 27,99 or 44 pound bags of lamb for 27.99 kirkland is same food exact food for 23.99 .I rotate diamond lamb with chicken soup also diamond product but better quality better poop on chiken soup has no beet pulp and it has enzymes its 35 pounds for 35.99 .But 4 cups is way two much food my 70 pound female gets 2 1/2cups a day and she dosnt always finish it .

adamwilkes14
Matured Bully

Postby adamwilkes14 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:46 pm

suvtwo wrote:tractor supply has diamond naturall for 27,99 or 44 pound bags of lamb for 27.99 kirkland is same food exact food for 23.99 .I rotate diamond lamb with chicken soup also diamond product but better quality better poop on chiken soup has no beet pulp and it has enzymes its 35 pounds for 35.99 .But 4 cups is way two much food my 70 pound female gets 2 1/2cups a day and she dosnt always finish it .

actually we got the Diamond Naturals from TSC for $24.99 for 40 pounds, we normally onle feed her 3.5-4 cups a day, but she was beggin us for some more, so I surrendered to her begging, lol...our TSC store doesnt have anything larger than a 40 pound bag on anything though

Beowulf
Addicted to PBF

Postby Beowulf » Sun Jun 14, 2009 12:47 am

suvtwo wrote:tractor supply has diamond naturall for 27,99 or 44 pound bags of lamb for 27.99 kirkland is same food exact food for 23.99 .I rotate diamond lamb with chicken soup also diamond product but better quality better poop on chiken soup has no beet pulp and it has enzymes its 35 pounds for 35.99 .But 4 cups is way two much food my 70 pound female gets 2 1/2cups a day and she dosnt always finish it .

Sorry, this is OT, but why is beet pulp bad?

adamwilkes14
Matured Bully

Postby adamwilkes14 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 4:56 am

So, if it was the Purina that is making her shed like she was, now that I have went with a better food, hos soon do yall think I should see a difference? A couple weeks?

adamwilkes14
Matured Bully

Postby adamwilkes14 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:00 am

Beowulf wrote:

Sorry, this is OT, but why is beet pulp bad?

according to this definition, beet pulp is good for dogs.....

"Definition: Beet pulp, not to be confused with your average common garden beet, is what's leftover after the sugar has been extracted from sugar beets. As a plant fibre, beet pulp is not digestable, but is beneficial to your dog's digestive system, making his stools firmer and easier to pass, while still giving your dog needed energy from the remaining sugars in the pulp"

GUMOLMAR
Newborn Bully

Postby GUMOLMAR » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:40 pm

Diamond also has corn in it,not as much as Purina but it is made of mostly fillers. I do not buy any food that the top three ingredients are corn or corn gluten.They also make a brand called Professional which is grain free,I tried the puppy for my dog and she loved it.

They also make a food called APEX,which is really good and again grain free.

I understand you said money was an issue and I can understand that but keep in mind feeding a good corn,wheat and soy free food also means you do not need to give them as much. I feed Blue Buffalo Wilderness and the results are good for my girl.

adamwilkes14
Matured Bully

Postby adamwilkes14 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:11 pm

GUMOLMAR wrote:Diamond also has corn in it,not as much as Purina but it is made of mostly fillers. I do not buy any food that the top three ingredients are corn or corn gluten.

umm, no the Diamond Naturals does not have corn...this is from their site:

* No By-Products, No Corn, No Wheat
* Fresh Chicken is the #1 Ingredient
* Antioxidant Formulation
* Balanced Omega Fatty Acids for Skin and Coat
* Crunchy Kibble Helps Clean Teeth and Reduce Plaque
* Natural Formula with Vitamins and Minerals

adamwilkes14
Matured Bully

Postby adamwilkes14 » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:16 pm

here is the ingredients list

Ingredients
Chicken, chicken meal, whole grain brown rice, white rice, cracked pearled barley, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), oatmeal, beet pulp, egg product, flaxseed, natural chicken flavor, fish meal, potassium chloride, choline chloride, vitamin E supplement, iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, copper proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc sulfate, copper sulfate, potassium iodide, thiamine mononitrate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, ascorbic acid, vitamin A supplement, biotin, calcium pantothenate, manganese sulfate, sodium selenite, pyridoxine hydrochloride (vitamin B6), vitamin B12 supplement, riboflavin, vitamin D supplement, folic acid.

GUMOLMAR
Newborn Bully

Postby GUMOLMAR » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:18 pm

I was refering to the Purina about the corn and grains. I like contents in the Natural!

dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby dogs4jen » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:00 am

Here's what dogfoodanalysis.com has to say about beet pulp:

Beet pulp is controversial filler. It is a by-product, being dried residue from sugar beets which has been cleaned and extracted in the process of manufacturing sugar. It is a controversial ingredient in dog food, claimed by some manufacturers to be a good source of fibre, and derided by others as an ingredient added to slow down the transition of rancid animal fats and causing stress to kidney and liver in the process. We note that beet pulp is an ingredient that commonly causes problems for dogs, including allergies and ear infections, and prefer not to see it used in dog food. There are less controversial products around if additional fibre is required.

I've been feeding Diamond Naturals to my foster dog and he's doing fine on it.

adamwilkes14
Matured Bully

Postby adamwilkes14 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:35 pm

Well update, I guess it has been a week or so since we put Daisy back on the Diamond Naturals. The shedding has DRASTICALLY improved, not to mention, she seems like she is just happier, if you will now. Her coat also seems a bit softer.

conansangel
Newborn Bully

diamond

Postby conansangel » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:09 pm

I gotta tell ya. I have always had pretty good luck with this food. in fact 2 weeks ago the feed store I go to was out and so I got some iams,,,,,,,,,,,YEAH won't do that again. I can tell a diff. in that short amount of time in their coats and how much they eat.

I used to just cook for my dogs back when i had all the akitas and only gave kibble part of the time..........they were beautiful and shiny and healthy. I have gotten really busy and don't do that like I used to.

I really would like to see my dogs looking show ring shiny!

Return to “Health Issues”