A reminder for summer weather!

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

A reminder for summer weather!

Postby FBODGRL » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:13 pm

Well I just got done having a heart attack (not literally)

We were playing a short game of fetch in the yard preparing for our walk. It is about 75 degrees here. I didn't fill his outside water dish because we weren't playing for that long.

After we finished playing and came inside he nearly collapsed. He recovered, but was wobbly. He was staggering around in no apparent direction.

I got him over to his water dish and he drank. I put alcohol on his pads and started rubbing him down with some ice packs. He recovered his senses soon after and was walking fine, panting hard.

This happened about a half hour ago. Now the dope is following me around...I can only assume wondering why we aren't out for his walk!

I feel absolutely irresponsible and horrible right now :crybaby:

So a friendly reminder to make sure your dogs are hydrated and not over doing it. It can happen quicker than you might think!

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:36 pm

Good reminder!!!

My girls have come close a few times to over doing it. Scary stuff.

These bullies just don't quit lol (seriously!)

Glad he's ok!!

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:49 pm

Thanks!

Yeah I was pretty much freaking out, but trying to hold it together so I could help him!

dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby dogs4jen » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:53 pm

Scary-glad he's okay! I know it's hard to get Roscoe to stop and get a drink even with a bowl of water right there.
Thanks for the reminder.

julie64
Addicted to PBF

Postby julie64 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:07 pm

Glad Khan is alright and you too. :)

Shay's oncologist said let her play all she wants, she knows when to quit. lol He obvisouly didn't know Shay.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:08 pm

It was pretty funny when I called the vet. By then he was stable and just panting.

I said....he probably just wants to come in and see you guys. Crazy boy LOVES the vet and it seems we are there every few months for something or another!

I just took him out to potty and he was trying to run around the yard! He was not happy when I put that to an end and made him come inside.

Bustersmama
Addicted to PBF

Postby Bustersmama » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:43 pm

Thanks for the reminder. Glad he is ok.

LetaGrlShowU
Newborn Bully

Postby LetaGrlShowU » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:13 pm

Did you say 75 degrees?! LOL!!!! Its 97 outside today! Extra water to keep them hydrated is always a good idea but heck its 75 here in the fall and winter! hehe. God how i hate florida! Your poop pup wouldnt stand a chance here in the park on a hot summers day

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:21 pm

There are plenty of times he has played in 85-90 degree weather and played longer and had no problems.

I'm not sure why it happened when it wasn't really that hot. I did read an article online about this happening when their bodies are starting to adjust to the weather change, so maybe that is it. we had a really bad winter here and spring weather has been very mild :dunno:

luvnstuff
Addicted to PBF

Postby luvnstuff » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:38 pm

Yup in Michigan 75 and humid feels HOT to us and the dog! So glad he is ok, its hard to think when we are just warmish they can overheat.

Scary!

good good reminder!!!!!!!

BlueMountainBullies
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby BlueMountainBullies » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:06 pm

so glad he is ok, I would have freaked out!!

one question though, what does the alcohol on his pads do in regards to heat stroke??

Lisalrenee
Adolescent Bully

Postby Lisalrenee » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:55 pm

BlueMountainBullies wrote:so glad he is ok, I would have freaked out!!

one question though, what does the alcohol on his pads do in regards to heat stroke??

Dogs express heat through their paw pads, so when they get overheated or feverish, the evaporative benefits of rubbing alcohol on their pads can help cool them down.

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:42 pm

Lisalrenee wrote:

Dogs express heat through their paw pads, so when they get overheated or feverish, the evaporative benefits of rubbing alcohol on their pads can help cool them down.

Yeah...what she said :))

BlueMountainBullies
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby BlueMountainBullies » Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:19 pm

Lisalrenee wrote:

thanks! :thumbsup: I had no idea

Shoshana
Bully Ambassador

Postby Shoshana » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:03 pm

I'm glad he's ok!

It's been 100+F here every day for the last 9 days. Peanut hasn't noticed yet. She still is doing crazy dog zoomies and chasing her ball. I just keep her fetch sessions short - when she gets hot she goes into the shade and I just call her in.

She has fresh cool water outside but she doesn't tend to drink it until she's way hotter than I can deal with (I overheat faster than she does!)

She'd spend the day sunbathing if I let her - but I don't. She gets about 4-5 min and that's it.

Last year after playing too long we gave her a bath - it's the only time she didn't try to get away from the hose (that water is COLD)

Return to “Health Issues”