The Transition to a Prey-Model Raw Diet (Poop-related)

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
BlueMountainBullies
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby BlueMountainBullies » Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:33 pm

I am switching mine to a raw/prey based diet also. Right now I am doing 50% kibble 50% raw and slowly increasing raw. My female had the same issue. She NEVER wakes me up in the middle of the night, and every 3 hours she was howling to go out, and she would squat, shoot out diarrhea, come in and go to bed and three hours later we were back to the same thing. She seems to be doing better now though. We've been on it approx. 10 days now. I checked her stool for any signs of anything weird. No blood, nothing like that, and her personality/activity was the same.

I am interested to see what people say too.

Rinalia
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Rinalia » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:02 pm

It isn't unusual for your dog to go through a cleansing/detoxing process. The change could also be disrupting your dog's normal digestive flow.

It took my older dog several months to completely adjust, but she's also extremely sensitive to food. My younger dog had no problem, seeing as she's been on a raw diet since 7/8 weeks of age.

You can add probiotics, apple cider vinegar and canned pumpkin (unspiced) to the diet to help the gut feel a bit better.

I'm sure others will have suggestions and thoughts too.

Uahi
Newborn Bully

Postby Uahi » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:27 pm

this is pretty normal. If you use pumpkin use only a little (t-spoon) in the last meal of the day. Too much will not make you happy or the pup for that matter. It will make the runs run more!

Im not sure but you said something about feeding at night. You should feed at least twice a day at this age.

good luck, it'll only get better

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:31 am

Stella had major canon butt for the first 3 days, then it stopped. She also vomited bile the first couple of nights too.

After adjusting, no more problems.

In the beginning it is helpful to remove the skin/extra fat and maybe give a bonier meal to firm things up. Over the course of several days you can leave more skin/fat on until eventually you leave it all on.

And I second what Uahi said, I hope you're feeding a puppy that age at least twice a day! :)

Good luck!

BrokenAquarian
Addicted to PBF

Postby BrokenAquarian » Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:20 pm

I fed my dogs 3x a day until the age of 6 months.

Return to “Health Issues”