Dozer's Hives (@ the Dr now)

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
tia_leigha
Addicted to PBF

Dozer's Hives (@ the Dr now)

Postby tia_leigha » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:36 am

Well, We went to Petsmart last night in search of some shampoo with Neem oil. No such luck. We did buy a $20 bottle of shampoo with hydrocortizone and some type of anti-inflammatory in it.(sp)
The groomer said if it didnt work, bring it back!
We tried it last night..seemed to make it more prominent...but it could have been the scrubbing.

He is at the vet today. A new vet. My sister works at a high tech clinic in Kyle. I've been calling all day to check on him. They are going several skin scrapes and we're going to get to the bottom of this thing. Poor Dozer and I are both over it. =[

I think its an allergy to flea bites or a heat rash. He only gets hives from the back of his head to his tail. Never on his underside... I coudl see heat rash bc thats exactly where the sun hits him... We're at a loss. Hopefully we will have answers soon.
Ill share our results ASAP so everyone else with hives can know.. :thumbsup:

1lila1
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby 1lila1 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 1:22 pm

That's where Angel usually gets his hives too. Only twice have they gotten so bad where they were on his face and his underside.

I did find a flea on Angel the other day so that could be it. Time for the Frontline again. Hopefully that will do the trick.

tia_leigha
Addicted to PBF

Postby tia_leigha » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:05 pm

Still no word from her on what is going on at the clinic.
I hate that he's in a kennel there with all of those barking dogs.
He's probably so pissed off at me roflmao .
Ugh. I miss him.

I have this bad ass job that lets me bring him to work with me. <3.

Beowulf
Addicted to PBF

Postby Beowulf » Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:10 pm

Good luck Dozer! I hope they find the source of your misery. :peace:

tia_leigha
Addicted to PBF

Postby tia_leigha » Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:35 pm

still waiting.. man.. this is terrible. I miss him! roflmao

Jazzy
Pit Bull Princess Pamperer

Postby Jazzy » Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:23 pm

Good luck!! I hope you get some answers!!!

Please keep us posted!

FBODGRL
Addicted to PBF

Postby FBODGRL » Fri Jun 19, 2009 5:02 pm

Jazzy wrote:Good luck!! I hope you get some answers!!!

Please keep us posted!

X2

tia_leigha
Addicted to PBF

Postby tia_leigha » Mon Jun 22, 2009 2:56 pm

OK sorry it took me so long.
I am so happy to have him home.
The skin scrape was unsuccessful. Apparently the bath he had the day prior to his appt washed away any impurities or evidence.

Dozer was put on Hydroxyzine for 5 days which is supposed to be more effective than benadryl. We shal see. It is day 3 and he still has hives...

The next router is prendnazone (sp). I was advised to keep him on a low dose during the warm months to keep him happy.

I hate that... =[steroids just sound awful :frown:

bimzrus
Newborn Bully

Re: Dozer's Hives (@ the Dr now)

Postby bimzrus » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:17 am

tia_leigha wrote:Well, We went to Petsmart last night in search of some shampoo with Neem oil. No such luck. We did buy a $20 bottle of shampoo with hydrocortizone and some type of anti-inflammatory in it.(sp)
The groomer said if it didnt work, bring it back!
We tried it last night..seemed to make it more prominent...but it could have been the scrubbing.

He is at the vet today. A new vet. My sister works at a high tech clinic in Kyle. I've been calling all day to check on him. They are going several skin scrapes and we're going to get to the bottom of this thing. Poor Dozer and I are both over it. =[

I think its an allergy to flea bites or a heat rash. He only gets hives from the back of his head to his tail. Never on his underside... I coudl see heat rash bc thats exactly where the sun hits him... We're at a loss. Hopefully we will have answers soon.
Ill share our results ASAP so everyone else with hives can know.. :thumbsup:

When Tego got hives I used J&J baby shampoo to wash him and shea butter the natural one from the African store to help ease the itchy feeling, it worked like a charm.

Shoshana
Bully Ambassador

Postby Shoshana » Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:54 pm

Aww I hope he feels better soon!!!!

There's a specialty vet in South Austin that's really good - you can only go there if you get sent by your regular vet. Our friends took their GSP there when he had an infection no one could figure out - these guys figured it out right away. (He has chronic Valley Fever). PM me and I'll go ask my friend if you want the name. I honestly don't think you'll need it tho.

Their other GSP with Addison's has been on Prednesone for at least 12 years with the only side effect that she lost her fur when they first put her on it cause the dose was too high. They figured that out and she's been good ever since.

Please keep us updated!

tia_leigha
Addicted to PBF

Postby tia_leigha » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:04 pm

Okay so Prednisone dosage was 1/2 tab every day.
He had 1/2 tab and the next morning..NO BUMPS.
Thats all it took :crybaby:
Ugh..
Looks like we found our cure...or bandaid.

At least he is comfortable. Anyone know side effects of prednisone on our dogs?

bimzrus
Newborn Bully

Postby bimzrus » Fri Jun 26, 2009 5:30 pm

Hi tia,
You should try the home remedy I suggested there are no side effects and it is a lot less expensive.
Every time you try a new drug on your baby you run the risk of exposing him to some kind of serious side effects. The johnson n johnson baby shampoo is the only shampoo I use on tego because is harmless the only thing it gets rid off is the excess oils, and the african shea butter is good for things like sores and diaper rash because it helps to stop the skin from drying out when hives swell.
I was told about this stuff from a friend of a friend when Tego had had a severe out break.
I washed him with the shampoo and every day rubbed the shea butter in his coate in aboute a week most of the hives had cleared up. And since I've been using the jnj shampoo he has had no o/breaks and his coate and skin are flawless

tia_leigha
Addicted to PBF

Postby tia_leigha » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:30 am

Well so far the bumps have disappeared.
He is comfy and happy. I bought some J&J shampoo yesterday that we are going to try this weekend on his bath.
He is doing 1/2 tab of pred once a day.
I have noticed his water intake has dramatically increased, but he's always got fresh water so I dont mind refilling his bowl. He is very good about saying when he has to pee as well. We're making progress :thumbsup:

On another note, I dont know if its the heat or the meds but he sure is a bum this summer. Just a lazy bum!

Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Ilovethepits » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:44 am

This is just my experience.

Not knowing what is causing Dozer's hives, this may be totally unrelated.

Kaiser's first spring he was about 6 mos. old. He got a terrible rash/bumps all over. He was given prednisone and an antibiotic (as he had scratched a lot) from the vet. He did improve, but I didn't like to keep giving him the prednisone. They thought he was allergic to grass.

I kept giving him baths until my Mom told me to stop it. My Mom said her old time vet told her short-haired dogs rarely need to be bathed unless they get into something. Brushing and a wipe down with a damp paper towel should suffice.

Anyhoo, I decided to try a homeopathic allergy remedy and it worked. Now I know this won't probably work in every instance, but he's 8 now and hasn't had any sort of allergic reactions anymore....not even in the spring.

He gets hosed off every so often and brushed almost every day and if he's really dirty I wipe him down with wet towels. No shampoo - ever. He smells fine and doesn't have to take anything anymore.

tia_leigha
Addicted to PBF

Postby tia_leigha » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:05 am

What homeopathic allergy remedy did you try? How does it work if you dont mind me asking? And how much did it cost?

Return to “Health Issues”