Bladder stones symptoms?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Siberian
pacifist ...usually

Bladder stones symptoms?

Postby Siberian » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:07 pm

So, Sheba peeing patterns has changed few months back. Normally she would make one puddle and be done with. All of a sudden she started making a small puddle about 5-10 minutes after the big one.

2 months ago she peed on our bed. I wrote it off to stress (we were packing for vacation, I was going through law suit/deposition, stressing because I am terrified of flying, etc). Since then she has continuously peed on our bed, at least once a week. Again I would make all kinds of excuses for her (husband is stressed, new dog in the house, sky is blue, etc).

She is locked in our bedroom when we are away at work. But she doesn't pee then. The only time she pees, is when everyone is home, and we forget to lock the bedroom door. I could never catch her in the act.

So finally I put 2 and 2 together, and took her to the vet.

They ran a urine test, and found the urine to be perfectly normal (ph, protein, sugar, etc), just small traces of blood, which could've come from the needle while the urine was drawn through the abdomen.

Vets only suggestion was that she might have bladder stones. So, the xray is in order ("Dear next paycheck, you don't know me yet, but looks like we will never get a chance to truly enjoy each other... ").

Has anyone dealt with bladder stones? Do her symptoms look like anything your dog has displayed?

To sum it up:

Her peeing pattern has changed

1. first time she pees, it lasts much longer than usual. She just stands in the same position, and pees, and pees, and pees, and...

2. is couple of minutes, she will squat again, and pee a small amount

3. She peed in the house (those are usually also small amounts of urine)

4. Sometimes when she pees, her urine looks really dark.

5. Test showed her urine to be healthy, for exception of small traces of blood, which doctors believes are from the needle.

6. Her behavior has not changed.

7. She eats raw and drinks plenty of fluids (I mix in her food with water, so she actually has soup for breakfast and dinner).

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:13 pm

could be the beginning of a UTI...

i would do an ultrasound over xrays for the kidneys... ultrasounds show more then an xray will normally

Siberian
pacifist ...usually

Postby Siberian » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:18 pm

Sorry, I put a wrong headline. Bladder stones, not kidney stones.

Thanks Amie for changing that for me :)

eashanna
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby eashanna » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:06 pm

i had a bladder stone scare with lexie a few days ago. turns out, she had a UTI but was slowly forming crystals.

she is now on a prescription diet Royal Canin Urinary S/O

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:34 pm

Does your vet have an ultrasound? You can look for stones using the ultrasound as a quick (often free) screening test.

Stones will also rub and irritate the bladder wall, which causes blood in the urine, but no infection.

Return to “Health Issues”