Advice Please!!

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Gypsy
Bully Ambassador

Advice Please!!

Postby Gypsy » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:42 pm

Just wanted to get some advice on what others would do in a similar situation.

At work the owner has 2 short haired Pointers that he hunts with.....(I am against this, and hold my comments, but have expressed once that I am opposed to hunting), he bought his female 3 years ago so that was before I started working here....about 6 months ago, he bought a male (blind, through a website, without knowing anything about them) and they have now mated (which he wanted, that is why he got the male, he thinks he is going to have pups and make a fortune). I have expressed several times that I am sad by this and while they know I do rescue, etc., they thought I would be jumping for joy. She should be due like the 2nd week in July.
They are asking me to spread the word and help them find homes for the pups. They are requesting money for the dogs, and not chump change either, in their delusional minds, they think they will get 3500.00 for Hunting dogs. Their dogs have NO papers, not tested, nothing, they arent even that good at hunting. But my boss is a total f69king idiot :po: (oh I get so heated), he really is an arsehole.

Ive never sold dogs, I dont do that, all my dogs came from shelters and were adopted out w/a small adoption fee (and it didnt go to me it went to the rescue org.) I am dead set against this, but I feel awful for the dogs, and feel awful these people are so delusional that they think they will get this kind of money.

I need advice, what to say, HOW to say it, should I help them?
Im so confused and feel like Im caught in the middle because they know I do rescue and know lots of people, etc..blah, blah, blah. :oops: :oops:

Torin
Adolescent Bully

Postby Torin » Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:55 pm

Oh my where to start.....

First I guess I would like to address your concern with a German Shorthaired Pointer hunting. Why is it that you feel this shouldn't happen? Is it just this person or do you feel that way across the board no matter what?
Reason I ask is I own 2 German Shorthaired Pointers and also work with rescue on GSP's. These dogs LOVE LOVE LOVE to hunt. As long as the dogs training is done correctly there should be no issue with it being something that is cruel to the dog. But if it is because you don't feel it is right to shoot birds then that is your own feelings and I can respect that but I really hope you can learn to respect that people love to hunt. Not just birds but many sorts of animals. Ok enough of my tangent.......:-)

This situation is one that he won't get $3500 for his pups. If they were registered, were tested through hunting and conformation along with a few other areas he might get that. I guess in this situation I would maybe say point him in the direction of some reputable German Shorthaired Pointer people who can hopefully nock some sense into him that he won't get that and that he should be sending the pups out on a spay/neuter contract. Feel free to get him in contact with myself if you would like. Just PM me and I will give you my contact info.

It can be like talking to a brick wall when talking to some people though. I have a friend who thinks it is gonna be so much fun to have a litter of huskey pups when her female isn't registered either. Nor been tested etc. but I don't know how many times I have told her this isn't a good idea but people will do what they want.

Here are a couple good websites for rescources on hunting dogs and such that you may want to pass to him:

www.shorthairs.net
www.gundogforum.com

Good luck!

leatherman_cowboy
Newborn Bully

Postby leatherman_cowboy » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:02 pm

Hey Gypsy
If they are new to this,and fully expect to profit-wow.Like you said-testing-papers ect are very important.Blood work-x-rays are all very important since they are hunting dog's,and will see a lot outdoor activities.
Perhaps they should have found home BEFORE the breeding,and then it would be fine.
Tough to say,but the pup's will be here very soon.If you are friend's they should take your advice and see the logic in not do this again.Responcible owners dont do this,but how to say it??
Just voice your feelings,and be to the point has alway's been my way of doing thing's.
Thank you,
Henry

Gypsy
Bully Ambassador

Postby Gypsy » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:07 pm

Thank you very much.

As for hunting, I may be wrong, but this is how I feel, he hunts deer, and I dont agree with that, the birds I could care less about, I guess Im picking and chosing what I like and care about. I know many, many people hunt and love hunting. I just dont like it.

His dogs are beautiful and I love, love, love them, I actually have become very fond of this dogs/breed now that Ive been around them, I dont know any other GSP besides these two. But like I said, his dogs aren't that great at hunting either, he always comes home disappointed, and complaiing about the dogs, blah, blah, he's a total assswipe. And he does have a hard head, and is one of those people who thinks what he knows is BIBLE!! :crazy: :stick
I will definitely provide them w/the links and tell them about the rescue.
I will PM you.
Thanks again....

NewOrleansSaint
Bully Ambassador

Postby NewOrleansSaint » Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:09 pm

I would simply state that you do not support back yard breeders and will not assist them in this matter. Give them the contact info for the GSP people and leave it at that.

If they actually contact the GSP people, perhaps they will be able to talk some sense into them. That's really all you can do. Most people who are into BYBing are so hard-headed they won't listen anyway though.

Torin
Adolescent Bully

Postby Torin » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:12 pm

Gypsy-
I know many people who are against deer hunting and I can understand that. I am not against it as I totaly agree with the fact that hunting keeps the herds thinned enough that none of them starve in the winter and I can honestly say that too many are still being hit on the roads and if people didn't hunt them imagine how many more would become victim to that. But I respect the fact that you don't like deer hunting. I just wasn't sure if you were saying hunting in general or what not! Either way it is all good! :-)

A German Shorthair is a special breed and one that is very hard to place in the right home honestly. When we had a litter of GSP pups we turned about 3 people down as we didn't like how they would fit with the breed.

Good luck and keep us posted. Let me know if I can be of any direct assistants in any way. This breed is near and dear to meand I have done hours upon hours of bloodline and health research so know it pretty well. Along with the 20 foster dogs we have placed and the 2 I have living in my home! :-)

Shoshana
Bully Ambassador

Postby Shoshana » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:26 am

GSPs aren't deer hunters... they're bird dogs!

I don't know how he thinks he's gonna get that kinda money for those pups. Down here I know of kennels where the dogs are registered and those pups go for 500-600 dollars. The dogs trained and proven already for hunting are $3000-3500. But they're not puppies.

resthavenfarms
Matured Bully

Postby resthavenfarms » Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:34 am

Trained hunting dogs, registered or not, will often bring $1200 and up. HOWEVER, unregistered pups, he may be able to get a few hundred per pup...if that.

Torin
Adolescent Bully

Postby Torin » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:48 am

I don't want to sound like I am trying to be a know it all but GSP's were bred to be a versatile hunting dog that was able to hunt birds and fur animals. Still many today help in helping hunt rabbit, fox and tracking wounded deer. Just a FYI! :-) I sometimes think I have too much knowledge of this breed! LOL

wspeed1195
Bully Ambassador

Postby wspeed1195 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:24 am

tell him how you feel and what you think.do it nicely.
the art of truth and humility are not highly regarded yet they are highly respected.
and not always by the folks the message is intended for. :)

pits-r-luv
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby pits-r-luv » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:21 am

Being how this is your boss and all, I think I would just act like I was putting the word out and nobody was biting..You said you have already told him your opinion on BYBs. Let that go, he is a dumbass.

Shoshana
Bully Ambassador

Postby Shoshana » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:05 pm

Torin wrote:I don't want to sound like I am trying to be a know it all but GSP's were bred to be a versatile hunting dog that was able to hunt birds and fur animals. Still many today help in helping hunt rabbit, fox and tracking wounded deer. Just a FYI! :-) I sometimes think I have too much knowledge of this breed! LOL

I didn't know that :) Thank you. I don't have GSPs but my friends do. I just dogsat the crew

Gypsy
Bully Ambassador

Postby Gypsy » Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:31 pm

Thank you everyone for your replies...yeah he has NO respect that the shelters and rescues are full, blah, blah, blah, he is a total moron and thinks he knows all is RIGHT about it all... :po:

However I still have to work here unfortunately, since there arent many jobs around right now, I dont really want to ruffle feathers, but Im definitely going to point them in the right direction. I really dont want to be involved at all. Everyone that knows me knows I do rescue, now all of a sudden Im going to announce I have GSP puppies for sale at such a price. Nope I cant do it, I wont do it, it has been torturing me though, but I wont tarnish my reputation and they shouldn't be profiting off of this chocolate anyway. It's disgusting, oh boy Im so angry and annoyed at the whole situation. :po: :po: :po:

Thanks again folks. :headbang:

buckaroo
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby buckaroo » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:55 pm

If all of what you wrote above is true, I'd ask a mod to either delete or heavily edit this thread. If your employer read this, I bet it wouldn't take too long for him to figure out that you're talking about him and who you are. General is available for anybody to view.

Fenriswolf
Addicted to PBF

Postby Fenriswolf » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:19 pm

On the plus side, no hunters would be $3K for puppies out of proven working dogs, let alone unproven dogs. He's dreaming.

I would refuse to help frankly, if his dogs are such money makers they'll sell themselves. I say make your position clear, then leave it alone. He's not going to change his mind.

Return to “Health Issues”