Advice Please!!

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Shoshana
Bully Ambassador

Re: Advice Please!!

Postby Shoshana » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:57 pm

Also - the pups' coloring will change as they get older. Yes, the sploches they're born with will stay, but the ones who are roan aren't born roan - that starts coming in after a few weeks...

Torin
Adolescent Bully

Postby Torin » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:02 pm

Yeah dew claws and tails are normally done at about 3 days. 4 at the latest. Also tell them for the tails to get them done just longer than half. So make sure the vet leaves about 2/3 of the tail or so INTACT! GSP people would rather have a tail that is a bit longer than one too short.

Do you know what color the parents are?

Gypsy
Bully Ambassador

Postby Gypsy » Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:30 pm

I'd rather wait till I get home before really replying, Im at work now and their are cameras in the office.

Thanks guys, I will fill ya in on more when I get home, no puppies yet, now she says she may be a few days off on the actual conception.... :po: :po: :po: :po: :po: :po: :po:

ABPitLover
Bully Ambassador

Postby ABPitLover » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:02 pm

I haven't read all the responses so forgive me if it's already been said - this is your boss, which puts you in a bit of a predicament.
IMO, you have a couple of options
1 - you can tell him you don't support it, etc. BUT you risk stepping on his toes / offending him.
2 - (what I would do) if your concern is that he is asking you to HELP sell them / spread the word, I would say "You know, the people I know who may be interested in getting a Pointer or hunting dog really look for dogs with titles, health tests, etc. (list your requirements) so unfortunately I don't think I'm going to be much help for you. Maybe if you did a couple of health tests on the parents it would help?"

Alternatively, you could lie and say you KNEW people who WERE looking, but that they wanted the above and said they weren't willing to pay for untested / untitled dogs.

I don't find that getting angry and up in people's faces with your moral stances ever really gets very far. It just tells them that you feel really strongly about the subject, and not to talk to you about it again. If you want to HELP people, again, in my opinion, you have to bend a little in how you approach the situation(s).

Gypsy
Bully Ambassador

Postby Gypsy » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:49 am

APBTlover, thank you, yes I am not going to be getting involved w/the sale or spreading of the word, etc....but I do want to see them be born and make sure they are okay.
Yesterday she said she hasnt been to the doctor yet, I was like "WHAT"?????????? dont you know that they could be dead in there, there could be problems, you need at least one vet visit and a sonagram, I think I made her feel bad a bit, she's more easy to talk to and take advice than he is.

So she made an appt for tomorrow....she said the the dogs mated 2x in one day on Mothers day, so I counted from then.
Should of been born between the 11th and the 14th, that would of been 63 and 65 days.....NO PUPPIES AS OF YET, today is the 13th, I really hope everything is alright, while I dont want them having pups, I dont want them to die or be sick either.

She has now dropped the price down to 500.00 (Which is still alot in my opinion), she listened to alot I had to say, I didnt say one word to him, but Im sure she told him certain things I said.
Im also on call for them at anytime, cause she didnt even know about taking the mucous out if the mother didnt, I was flabbergasted.....Its scary how knowledgeable people are and they act like they are the smartest thing walking this earth.
Whatever, what is done is done, now Im just trying to make sure the pups are okay, the sale is on them, I will have nothing to do with it, however I am afraid I will fall in love with one of the puppies or more than one, but in reality, I know I cant have anymore dogs. I already have 3.

But I just want to make sure they are okay. We shall see what today brings.

I thank everyone for their thoughts, suggestions and advice.

PS TORIN, thanks again and I gave them your email and links, if you havent heard from them, NOW you can see what Im dealing with, they dont reach out because he's mister know it all. But I thank you for all your info. Stay tuned. :twisted:

Gypsy
Bully Ambassador

Postby Gypsy » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:47 am

Torin wrote:Yeah dew claws and tails are normally done at about 3 days. 4 at the latest. Also tell them for the tails to get them done just longer than half. So make sure the vet leaves about 2/3 of the tail or so INTACT! GSP people would rather have a tail that is a bit longer than one too short.

Do you know what color the parents are?
Torin they are dark brown spotted with white, they almost match the mom and dad. They are gorgeous. (if you mean these parents) as for their dogs, Ive never seen the papers yet so I dont know about their parents)
I have to tell them about the dew claws and the tails....I bet they probably will say well that's gonna be up to the buyer, they really have all the answers. I will find out more today.

Torin
Adolescent Bully

Postby Torin » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:11 pm

Don't be surprised if they are born a bright white color and change to a darker liver by the time they are 6-8 weeks old. That is very common. Well if they don't get dew claws and tails done then they won't have an option to do them later. Vets won't normally dock tails and do dew claws after that first week of birth unless it is for medical reasons.

Hang in there!

Mooresmajestic
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Mooresmajestic » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:35 pm

As horrible as this sounds- I always hope that people like that get stuck with 10 puppies that they can't sell! Makes them think twice about breeding in the future! Hope everything goes ok for the mommy-to-be though, keep us updated.

Gypsy
Bully Ambassador

Postby Gypsy » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:16 pm

Some positive and negative news.....Negative is that the idiots counted wrong and pups still aren't here, but any day now it seems, she's starting to nest and doing all the things the moms do.

Positive is, me and the boss spoke for about 1/2 hour last Wednesday. He is going to have all the tails docked within 3 days and get them their vacs, etc. There are already 4 dogs spoken for, and the people are known to them and myself.
He "NOW" says that the momma dog's parents were championship dogs, again I still havent seen the papers, when the pups are being born is the day I will be at their house and ask to look at them, causually and make it seem like Im just interested.

Another negative is "I asked what are you going to do after 8 weeks and you dont have homes for the rest yet?", His response is "He's going to sell them to the breeder of the male dog"? :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

He also is aware he will not get what he initially thought he would and is settleing for 500.00 per pup. So he has 4 sold, that's 2000.00, yet he still has to dock tails of we dont know how many, plus vacs.

The momma was taken to vet, but for some reason, they couldnt perform a sonagram, why? I asked and she shrugged and said the vet said he couldn't. OH BOY, OH BOY! :po:
So we're still waiting, Im sure it will be this week. I saw her last week and she looks like she's gonna burst. The family said she is letting mucous out all over the floor starting yesterday, so Im assuming she's almost ready, I hope it's tonite.

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:09 pm

Sounds like she is losing her mucus plug, it could be anywhere from 24-48 hours to a week... Can take time to lose it.
BTW mucus plug is gross, I call them cervix boogers.

HollyJoy
Super Bully

Postby HollyJoy » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:03 pm

starrlamia wrote:Sounds like she is losing her mucus plug, it could be anywhere from 24-48 hours to a week... Can take time to lose it.
BTW mucus plug is gross, I call them cervix boogers.

Um wow. I don't know nuttin bout birthin babies, and that right there, is gross!

I'm waiting for updates when they come. GL gypsy.

Shoshana
Bully Ambassador

Postby Shoshana » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:31 pm

Hope everything turns out ok!

Sounds like she's carryin a lot of pups - 8-10 maybe.

Dalton Wayne
Newborn Bully

Postby Dalton Wayne » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:34 am

Don't be hating on hunters they do more for the environment and management of wildlife then you could imagine
As for the dogs he will not get close to what he is asking.
Yes I hunt and eat everything I kill.
do you buy meat at the grocery store? :po:

Torin
Adolescent Bully

Postby Torin » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:31 pm

Some things to look for on the papers if you do get to see them are the following:

CH- Show Champion
NFC- National Field Champion
DC- Duel Champion meaning hunt and show
JH- Junior Hunter
SH-Senior Hunter
MH- Master Hunter

These are just a few but will tell a lot about the bloodlines.

Good luck. Take pics. :-)

Also it c ould be that she is too far along to do x-ray. There is a certian time frame that she has to be in for the x-ray where the pups are formed enough to show up but after that time frame an x-ray can hurt the pups. Good luck!

Amie

Postby Amie » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:58 pm

IMO, clipping the dew claws is far more important than docking the tails - please suggest he do that at the same time. A long tail is a long tail, but the dew claws are clipped to avoid future breaking and extreme pain.

Sorry you're dealing with this!

Return to “Health Issues”