Diamond Naturals Lamb and Rice allmost KILLED my dog.

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Absolute Peril
Newborn Bully

Diamond Naturals Lamb and Rice allmost KILLED my dog.

Postby Absolute Peril » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:28 pm

I recently went to my local feed store to get my dogs off science diet back on to diamond. I bought it went home to feed my dog chance and the food seemed normal, I hand feed my dogs and nothing seemed wrong.(White pitbull in the middle of the picture is chance).Then I poured the food into its can and out popped a huge chunk of MOLD. That’s right, Mold. At first I was like WTF? Then I called the feed store and they said to return it. I walk into my room and in less then an hour from the time that he was fed he had extreme diarrhea and small vomiting. My vet told me to give him some hydrogen peroxide to make him vomit up the moldy dog food and if he doesn't vomit in one hour that he needs his stomach pumped and some time and money spent at their office. Soon after the call I made him vomit and he had a very small seizure and hour later from the mold. The vet says that Chance is lucky and that he is fine now.

I wrote the company and no answer.

I AM INFUREATED AND DEVASTATED . I will NEVER trust diamond dog food again. I rather feed corny science diet or expensive blue buffalo.

Absolute Peril
Newborn Bully

Re: Diamond Naturals Lamb and Rice allmost KILLED my dog.

Postby Absolute Peril » Fri Jun 26, 2009 9:29 pm

Absolute Peril wrote:I recently went to my local feed store to get my dogs off science diet back on to diamond. I bought it went home to feed my dog chance and the food seemed normal, I hand feed my dogs and nothing seemed wrong.(White pitbull in the middle of the picture is chance).Then I poured the food into its can and out popped a huge chunk of MOLD. That’s right, Mold. At first I was like WTF? Then I called the feed store and they said to return it. I walk into my room and in less then an hour from the time that he was fed he had extreme diarrhea and small vomiting. My vet told me to give him some hydrogen peroxide to make him vomit up the moldy dog food and if he doesn't vomit in one hour that he needs his stomach pumped and some time and money spent at their office. Soon after the call I made him vomit and he had a very small seizure and hour later from the mold. The vet says that Chance is lucky and that he is fine now.

I wrote the company and no answer.

I AM INFUREATED AND DEVASTATED . I will NEVER trust diamond dog food again. I rather feed corny science diet or expensive blue buffalo.

(Chance is the white dog not middle dog sorry.)

RuffMuttK9z

Postby RuffMuttK9z » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:01 am

Mold? That sounds to me like an issue of the store you bought the food from storing the food improperly and/or keeping it for way too long before selling it. I wouldn't necessarily jump to conclusions that this type of thing is the fault of the food company.

adamwilkes14
Matured Bully

Postby adamwilkes14 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:06 am

Yeah there should be a code date or use by date either embossed or printed on the bag. How was the feed stored in the store? is their feed room climate controlled?

Savage Destiny
Bully Ambassador

Postby Savage Destiny » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:17 am

RuffMuttK9z wrote:Mold? That sounds to me like an issue of the store you bought the food from storing the food improperly and/or keeping it for way too long before selling it. I wouldn't necessarily jump to conclusions that this type of thing is the fault of the food company.

Yep.

We haven't had a single problem with the Diamond we sell at the store I work at. Mold is generally due to improper storage, particularly damp bags that don't get noticed and thrown away. I'd be looking much more closely at the store you bought it from as opposed to blaming Diamond.

Absolute Peril
Newborn Bully

Postby Absolute Peril » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:25 am

RuffMuttK9z wrote:Mold? That sounds to me like an issue of the store you bought the food from storing the food improperly and/or keeping it for way too long before selling it. I wouldn't necessarily jump to conclusions that this type of thing is the fault of the food company.

I have got MANY MANY bags of diamond dog food from this store. You may have one its Farm and Fleet. Its not some small intown thing. Farm and Fleet is everywhere. I took the bag back to farm and fleet they refuned me and said they wanted to keep part of the mold to send to the company.

Absolute Peril
Newborn Bully

Postby Absolute Peril » Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:27 am

Savage Destiny wrote:

Yep.

We haven't had a single problem with the Diamond we sell at the store I work at. Mold is generally due to improper storage, particularly damp bags that don't get noticed and thrown away. I'd be looking much more closely at the store you bought it from as opposed to blaming Diamond.

I have got MANY MANY bags of diamond dog food from this store. You may have one its Farm and Fleet. Its not some small intown thing. Farm and Fleet is everywhere. I took the bag back to farm and fleet they refuned me and said they wanted to keep part of the mold to send to the company. I personally love the food and whats in it, but I wouldnt know what to do if I lost my dog chance.

adamwilkes14
Matured Bully

Postby adamwilkes14 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:13 am

We buy our Diamond Naturals from Tractor Supply, never had a problem there.

Absolute Peril
Newborn Bully

Postby Absolute Peril » Sat Jun 27, 2009 3:32 am

adamwilkes14 wrote:We buy our Diamond Naturals from Tractor Supply, never had a problem there.

We don't have one of those but I just know now weather or not it was the store or company I will never not dump a bag of dog food out.
If I wouldnt have my dog(s) would have died due to the store or company.

adamwilkes14
Matured Bully

Postby adamwilkes14 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:02 am

yeah, we have a large tote where we store our dog food. We dump the 40 pound bag into it. Back when I was raising hogs and pigs, I would use a 55 gallon plastic drum with a twist on and off lid.

adamwilkes14
Matured Bully

Postby adamwilkes14 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 5:03 am

meant to say hogs and steers, sorry

jlphilli
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby jlphilli » Sat Jun 27, 2009 6:40 am

Wait.....there was mold in the food and you STILL fed it to your dog???

PaigeJ
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby PaigeJ » Sat Jun 27, 2009 7:00 am

I think she only realized there was mold after she fed her dog.

Savage Destiny
Bully Ambassador

Postby Savage Destiny » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:03 am

Absolute Peril wrote:
Savage Destiny wrote:

Yep.

I have got MANY MANY bags of diamond dog food from this store. You may have one its Farm and Fleet. Its not some small intown thing. Farm and Fleet is everywhere. I took the bag back to farm and fleet they refuned me and said they wanted to keep part of the mold to send to the company. I personally love the food and whats in it, but I wouldnt know what to do if I lost my dog chance.

Just because you haven't had a problem previously doesn't mean something can't go wrong.

Also, I do think it is funny that you won't even take a closer look at the store because you've bought "many many" bags of Diamond from them, but you're all set to badmouth Diamond over it, even though its the same food you've bought "many many" bags of.

BlueMountainBullies
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby BlueMountainBullies » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:21 am

I would say mold in the food wold be due to the bag getting moist and not noticed, as someone else on here said. It could have even happened during transport. You cold find out who your store orders the food from. Is it straight from Diamond, or is it a distributor? It could have been stored incorrectly at the distributors, could have been transported and been rained on during delivery. There are lots of different things that could have happened.

If you have fed this food for a while and had no problems with it (dogs like it, they've stayed a healthy weight, good stool, etc.) then I wouldn't let this situation deter you from it.

Return to “Health Issues”