Chicagolanders Lyme Disease

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
SKoth
Bully Ambassador

Chicagolanders Lyme Disease

Postby SKoth » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:52 pm

We typically didn't see much Lyme disease in the Chicagoland are and are still under "low risk" according to the CDC but I wanted to let you know that I've been hearing of multiple cases of dogs with Lyme disease in the greater/northern Chicagoland area. This week a girl in my nursing class was diagnosed with Lyme Disease herself.

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up not only so you can keep your dogs on preventative (if you choose) but also in the event you see symptoms you can be aware to test for it!

Sarah

BDestroyer8418
Newborn Bully

Re: Chicagolanders Lyme Disease

Postby BDestroyer8418 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:38 am

Thanks for the heads up. I do get the Lyme Vaccination for her but I do know my parents don't but those dogs never leave the backyard.

tiva
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby tiva » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:59 am

Thanks for the head's up. I'm surprised Chicagoland doesn't have a lot of Lymes. Up here, just over the border in southern WI, we have endless cases of Lymes. (I've been on the treatment twice, like just about every other scientist I know who works out in the field.) We have ticks coming out of our ears.

SKoth
Bully Ambassador

Postby SKoth » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:19 pm

tiva wrote:Thanks for the head's up. I'm surprised Chicagoland doesn't have a lot of Lymes. Up here, just over the border in southern WI, we have endless cases of Lymes. (I've been on the treatment twice, like just about every other scientist I know who works out in the field.) We have ticks coming out of our ears.

We have dog ticks out the bum but we typically didn't see deer ticks. I guess if you guys have a lot of them it should figure they'd make their way down here too!

I think it's important for people to know since it's often difficult to diagnose in people. Important to mention to your doctor if you have those symptoms.

Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:04 pm

I had 2 students (out of 11) in my class come down w/Lyme this spring. One had it previously, the other for the first time. Remember in humans, you don't always get the bullseye rash. For dogs, the vaccine is about 75% effective. I don't even bother w/the vaccine, I'm pulling deer ticks off the dogs constantly. I have deer in my yard, so there's no real avoiding them for me.

Return to “Health Issues”