Shes lactating

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
*Laura*
Newborn Bully

Shes lactating

Postby *Laura* » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:02 pm

This might sound normal to you but Marnie is lactating but she hasnt any sort of pregnancy at all but has become attactched to my pet rats an crying for them thinking they are her babies and has started producing milk. We noticed this stain on our beds an we couldnt think what the hell it was an then she jus lay on my bed then and there ti was again so i checked her anus and her vagina an no substances were visible so me mum thought is she lactating? SO i thought ok i'll check but its hardly likely cos she hasnt had ANY contact with any males while on heat. But yeah i checked an milk came from her teats. The only thing we can think of is it's the rats who she think are her babies and is that motherly towards them she has started producing milk. I am going to get her an appointment tomorrow night just to check she is ok ect but has anyone else had this problem? x

HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Re: Shes lactating

Postby HappyPuppy » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:25 pm

Do a search on 'false pregnancy' while you wait for others 'with experience' to chime in. :thumbsup:

*Laura*
Newborn Bully

Postby *Laura* » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:38 pm

Okies, my friend who breeds pugs has just informed me that its that. Dont worry though im gettin a vet app. tomorrow night cos my mum works in the day x

Midnight Sun APBT
Matured Bully

Postby Midnight Sun APBT » Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:00 pm

if your dog is just having a normal false pregnancy, there is no need to take her to the vet she is fine. She will spend a week sometimes two seeking babies, possibly nesting or nursing her toys and it will pass.

adamwilkes14
Matured Bully

Postby adamwilkes14 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:05 pm

pardon my dumb question, but could this happen to a spayed female?

*Laura*
Newborn Bully

Postby *Laura* » Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:09 pm

Oh right okies i was just thinking incase her milk ducts get blocked an infected?

PinKster
Matured Bully

Postby PinKster » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:12 pm

WOW, I have also heard this can happen to human females also...weird!

Midnight Sun APBT
Matured Bully

Postby Midnight Sun APBT » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:18 pm

Her milk ducts should be fine, as long as you leave them be. Keep the nipples clean and watch for any redness or tenderness. otherwise it should run it's course just fine.

All intact females that are not bred go through some sort of false pregnancy after a heat cycle. Some show symptoms some do not. Some show sevear symptoms some only mild. I have an 11 year old female who will actually have false labor 3 to almost 4 weeks of full blown milk, puppy searching, whine pacing ect ect ect.... she can be quite a pain. And honestly if she comes in contact with very young puppies even when NOT going through a false pregnancy she will start lactating within a day or so. She has taken on kittens, rabbits, and even a ferret once lol'

your female sounds perfectly normal, and unless she is showing signs of distress or infection there is nothing to worry about and nothing you can do

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:26 pm

Once she is done with the false pregnancy, spay her and she won't go through it anymore.

Enigma
Forum Junky

Postby Enigma » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:52 am

Return to “Health Issues”