Taste of the Wild

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Silenceafable
Newborn Bully

Taste of the Wild

Postby Silenceafable » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:44 pm

Has anyone used this food? I stopped at a local pet shop that sells higher quality food, and the woman recommended this brand. She gave me some samples. First ingredients on the list - bison, venison, lamb meal, chicken meal, egg product, sweet potato. No grains. 32% protein, 18% fat. What do you all think?

http://www.tasteofthewildpetfood.com/

Amie

Re: Taste of the Wild

Postby Amie » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:50 pm

Several people feed it. If you're looking to change foods, and your dog isn't allergic to anything in the ingredients (to your knowledge) than it's definitely worth a try.

Silenceafable
Newborn Bully

Postby Silenceafable » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:58 pm

It looks really good, and it's pretty affordable. I think I might give it a try. I've been reading some reviews, and I haven't read anything bad just yet.

datdude68
Newborn Bully

Postby datdude68 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:14 pm

I used to feed my dog the high prairie canine formula before switching to a raw diet. She did pretty well on it.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:30 pm

TOW IS one of the kibbles I alternate with.
A 'heads up'
if you do decide to buy it, be sure cut back on the amount you feed, they seem to gain weight and fast when eating TOW (have spoken to seveal other members that had the same issue when feeding TOW).

julie64
Addicted to PBF

Postby julie64 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:07 am

pblove wrote:A 'heads up'
if you do decide to buy it, be sure cut back on the amount you feed, they seem to gain weight and fast when eating TOW (have spoken to seveal other members that had the same issue when feeding TOW).

I agree with this. Lilly & Shay weren't even getting 2 c a day and still gaining weight.

twilliams558
Adolescent Bully

Postby twilliams558 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:37 am

i tried it with oliver but he just didnt like it. so i switched to Merricks Wilderness dog food.

There was nothing wrong with the food oliver just didnt like the taste. So i would start out with a small bag just to see if you dog actually likes the food or not.

PaigeJ
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby PaigeJ » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:44 am

julie64 wrote:
pblove wrote:A 'heads up'

I agree with this. Lilly & Shay weren't even getting 2 c a day and still gaining weight.

Really? Maili gets 3 cups a day and is still pretty thin...but that's a good heads up for when her growth slows down. Hopefully that will give my wallet a break too cause she burns through the 15lb bags lol

I really like the high prairie formula and the salmon formula. We tried the wetlands one first but Maili seems to like the flavor of the high prairie one better. And I like the salmon one cause she gets oh-so-soft :)

elrojo
Adolescent Bully

Postby elrojo » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:14 am

I've switched to mostly raw, and am happy with the results, but I defy anyone to tell me you don't have to put a lot of either a) time or b) money into it. The only kibbles I alternate/supplement with are TOTW, Timber Wolf, and Innova Evo. For the price, I've not found a grain free food that is close to TOTW. High Prairie and Wetlands both seem to make every dog switched to them do well. I just own a small pet shop, but I hear a pretty fair amount of feedback. Obviously, no diet is optimal for every dog. As kibbles go, TOTW is one of my favorites.

Nanci
Newborn Bully

Postby Nanci » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:42 pm

I feed it. I alternate the three formulas. Bella's poo virtually disappears in hours. The bison one smells very strong to me, but she likes it...

Lisalrenee
Adolescent Bully

Postby Lisalrenee » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:51 pm

I feed it and all 3 of my dogs love it. Agreed re: cutting back on the amount, though. When feeding evolve, Zoe was getting 4 cups a day - with TOTW, she barely eats 2. My little 17 pounders each eat about 1/2 c. daily.

The Fate
Adolescent Bully

Postby The Fate » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:21 pm

I never understood why you guys feed less...
I always go by the bag recomendations... Blue is 7 monthes old, almost 60 pounds and eats about 4 cups a day...
And is still a little skinny...

barefootxen
Adolescent Bully

Postby barefootxen » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:49 pm

I really like this food for Xen. I feed the Pacific Stream (salmon) formula and she does extremely well on it. Although, she gets 3 cups a day and still very lean.

Hoyden
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby Hoyden » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:23 pm

I feed TOTW to Birdie. She gets about 1 cup a day with 1/2 can of soft food. She likes the salmon formula the best. I also like the Fromm kibble as well. Birdie LOVES the surf & turf.

Birdie is a little porker right now, so I'm trying to pull some weight off of her.

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:32 pm

The Fate wrote:I never understood why you guys feed less...
I always go by the bag recomendations... Blue is 7 monthes old, almost 60 pounds and eats about 4 cups a day...
And is still a little skinny...

You feed less because the dog is getting more nutrients, less filler so they get the amount of nutrients they need in a smaller amount.
Most people recommend starting out on the recommend amount and feeding more or less depending on if the dog is gaining/losing weight.

Return to “Health Issues”