Taste of the Wild

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
rambler72
Bully Ambassador

Re: Taste of the Wild

Postby rambler72 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:46 pm

We feed our boxer TOTW salmon. We absolutely could not keep the weight on him with the raw diet so we switched him to TOTW and he is doing great now and he only eats 2.5c a day.

GoingPostal
Forum Junky

Postby GoingPostal » Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:02 pm

We feed it, very happy with it, the dogs look and smell good. Nero eats 2.5-3 cups a day and Jersey gets about 1.5-2, depending on how much exercise we are getting. Nero is impossible to keep weight on and this does great without costing a fortune since I have to order all my pet food in and go thru a 30 pound bag a month.

Mooresmajestic
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Mooresmajestic » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:00 pm

I feed it to my working dog. She does great on it and only gets 2/3 cup 2x a day, and she maintains her now slender 58# very well. I don't use the fish formula because the protine is lower than she needs and it was making her fat! Yes it sounds weird but the higher protine, higher fat helped her to trim up. She was storing too much when we were on the fish instead of turning it into muscle on her heavy exercise program.
But I did have to switch my older dog off of TOTW because of the high protin and I ended up putting her on Merrick Senior. The best thing is a 15# bag lasts my girls almost 2 1/2 mths!

The Fate
Adolescent Bully

Postby The Fate » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:53 pm

starrlamia wrote:
The Fate wrote:I never understood why you guys feed less...
I always go by the bag recomendations... Blue is 7 monthes old, almost 60 pounds and eats about 4 cups a day...
And is still a little skinny...

You feed less because the dog is getting more nutrients, less filler so they get the amount of nutrients they need in a smaller amount.
Most people recommend starting out on the recommend amount and feeding more or less depending on if the dog is gaining/losing weight.

I always thought you were supose to go by bag recomendations but yes I can see puttin less ammounts if your dog is gettin fat...makes sense.. You would just think the bigger the dog the more he eats

Silenceafable
Newborn Bully

Postby Silenceafable » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:44 pm

I used the samples to start the switch by mixing it in w/ his regular Purina Puppy Chow (ugh! it's what they were feeding him when I got him, and I've been wanting to switch him). He seems to love the Prairie formula. I just picked up a 5lb bag. As long as he has no problems with the gradual switch, I think this stuff will do wonders for him. Thanks for the heads up about the weight gain too. I'll go by bag recommendations, but if I see him putting on too much weight, I'll cut back.

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:34 pm

The Fate wrote:
starrlamia wrote:
The Fate wrote:I never understood why you guys feed less...
I always go by the bag recomendations... Blue is 7 monthes old, almost 60 pounds and eats about 4 cups a day...
And is still a little skinny...

You feed less because the dog is getting more nutrients, less filler so they get the amount of nutrients they need in a smaller amount.
Most people recommend starting out on the recommend amount and feeding more or less depending on if the dog is gaining/losing weight.

I always thought you were supose to go by bag recomendations but yes I can see puttin less ammounts if your dog is gettin fat...makes sense.. You would just think the bigger the dog the more he eats

the bag is just a guideline, it varies from dog to dog, like food does from person to person. In general a larger dog will eat more then a smaller dog. But if you feed a food like Iams the dog will probably eat twice as much then if it was on a high quality food like TOTW, Wellness, Orijen, Evo etc etc etc

artemiss
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby artemiss » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:00 pm

Another person who feeds the salmon formula here. Its the only non-prescription food our little allergy girl can eat.

The Fate
Adolescent Bully

Postby The Fate » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:25 pm

lauraplane wrote:We use the Salmon formula for our Barney. Switched not long ago. He LOVES it. And has fewer red spots now. I am thinking he must have grain allergies so this food is great.

The only thing now is that he is needing a higher protien content. We just started his chemo therapy treatments for his mast cell tumor. We had just gotten a new bag of this food. I am thinking when it is about half gone I will get a bag of the bison formula and mix it with this one. In the meantime we are adding some stuff to his food but I am afraid that it isn't enough protein.

Yea tha salmon one is great ! But thats the problem... Not enough protein... i use the bison and Fowl bag..
Sometime use the natural balance cans (Liver, lamb) as to he gets bored of the dry food every now and then...

PaigeJ
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby PaigeJ » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:24 pm

My bag of bison flavor ran out the other day and I bought the salmon flavor again to rotate the flavors. I don't think Maili was very happy with me because she doesn't go crazy over the salmon like the bison flavor. I just noticed the protein levels are pretty different too. That doesn't bother me but it seemed weird to have the same levels of protein in the wetlands and bison formula and be almost 10 percentage points lower with the salmon flavor.

Silenceafable
Newborn Bully

Postby Silenceafable » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:10 pm

Shadow is loving the bison formula! I'm doing a 50/50 mix right now, and he cleans his bowl in no time. I'm so glad I found this stuff.

Angela Adams
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Angela Adams » Sun Oct 18, 2009 2:34 am

Is anyone else feeding TOTW? I bought a bag of the salmon formula for a foster dog of mine and she seems to be doing great on it.

Nanci
Newborn Bully

Postby Nanci » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:03 am

The bison formula has a very strong smell to it. I wonder if that's why some dogs like it the most.

WackyJacki
Addicted to PBF

Postby WackyJacki » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:58 am

My dogs are raw fed but I feed TOTW Venison formula to my cats and they are doing wonderfully on it.

The 2 fatties slimmed down (less carbs) and their coats are nice and shiny.

Poop is still as smelly as always lol

Overall a good choice, and much more affordable then a lot of the other grain free brands out there.

sid the muss
Newborn Bully

Postby sid the muss » Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:48 am

both of my boys have been on the bison/venison mix for over a year now and they love it. now that they have come out with canned food as well each boy (my boys are 88 and 79 pounds) gets 1.5 cups dry and half a 13oz. can in the morning and evening.

Brina Baby
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Brina Baby » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:49 pm

We just switched over to TOTW the herring and salmon one and its really smelly but they seem to LOVE it. They were on B. G. - Chicken and Salmon formula. They seem to be doing pretty good on it.

We alternate with feeding raw.

Return to “Health Issues”