Helena needs help bad (tore other acl)

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Shes Got Heart
Bully Ambassador

Helena needs help bad (tore other acl)

Postby Shes Got Heart » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:01 pm

. My dog Helena tore her ACL last year and due to money troubles it took us 5 months to get the surgery which we had a payment plan set up and got behind on. Well today I let her off leash for no more than a minute to run and she came to me holding up her good leg, not touching it to the ground. She can barely walk at all. I had to carry her upstairs into our house. I don't what to do. I am completely distraught. Helena is my emotional support animal, and for all she does for me, she needs me more now. The leg she had surgery on never went completely back to new and she is relying on it to hold her weight now. Can anyone please help us?

Megan

Cherry
Bully Lover 4 Life

Re: Helena needs help bad (tore other acl)

Postby Cherry » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:26 pm

Have you taken her to the vet yet?

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:45 pm

Start selling stuff? attempt to use Care Credit? Sorry I can't be of more help... maybe its just sore and will go back to normal with some rest?

Shes Got Heart
Bully Ambassador

Postby Shes Got Heart » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:12 am

She will be going to the vet very soon there is a discount clinic on thursdays. They should be able to tell if shes showing the drawer sign.She will not even touch the leg to the ground, and can barely walk. I have heard pbrc may be able to help so I am going to check in to them. I have thought of everything I could sale but I have nothing of value. So if it's working a job at micky D's I'll do it. My boyfriend will be getting as many hours as possible. Our cell phones are going to be turned off. My dad helps me with everything else.. but he said he would never spend that kind of money on a dog. :crybaby:

She will be on crate rest until we can get her to the vet and I was going to get her some aspirin. She is eating and drinking. I also wrapped it in ice earlier so I need to get some more rap. Can you use icy hot on a dog? I do have a cone for her neck.

BabyReba

Postby BabyReba » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:52 am

check the orthodogs list serve on yahoogroups and maybe you can get some advice for how to keep her comfortable till the vet sees her.

if you have any rimadyl or any other dog-safe anti-inflammatory, i'd definitely give her some now to try to reduce pain and inflammation. if you do not have any, some enteric-coated aspirins, such as ascriptin, can be given in moderation but NOT long-term.

in the meantime, i'd also apply for carecredit or some other credit source if you can't afford to pay for the surgery. good luck.

InBearsMemory
Bully Ambassador

Postby InBearsMemory » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:41 am

Stop with the home treatments, get the dog to a vet, plain and simple and please don't put ice directly on the dogs leg as it will do more harm than good! Unfortunately this kind of stuff happens but you have to be prepared for it instead of just winging it every time. I know this is not the stuff you want to hear right now but it has to be said. People need to get their own life in order first before taking on the responsibility and the life of an animal.
Call a vet, tell them what happened and the shape the dog is in and ask if you can set up a payment plan for the treatment. All they can say is yes or no. At the bare minimum get the dog checked out and get a consultation. You should be able to afford that.

tia_leigha
Addicted to PBF

Postby tia_leigha » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:29 am

Miss Helena I hope you heal fast honey!
Sorry I cant help, but I will keep you guys in my thoughts :thumbsup:

pacopoe
Bully Ambassador

Postby pacopoe » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:41 am

Take a deep breath... it's not the end of the world.

In addition to the orthodogs group babyreba suggested, there's a sister group, "conservative management," that has lots of tips for people who choose to not go the surgery route. Like InBears said, it's imperative you stop with the home treatment and get some advice from professionals or at least people who have been through it before.

Her good leg did not go because she was putting all of her weight on it. Statistically, if a dog has one bad knee then the other will go in time. If her one leg is fixed, it should be able to support her weight while the other heals. It's not ideal, but you may be able to avoid surgery. Sure, the leg will never be 100% and you will have other issues to deal with, but unless you have grand sport dog plans it may be your best option at this point.

For the meantime, get a sling (http://pacosleg.blogspot.com/2008/03/support.html) to support her weight during potty breaks, keep her quiet, quiet, quiet and go do some reading.

Good luck!

Adrianne

Postby Adrianne » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:42 am

Don't ice nor use icy hot, it tastes horrible and stings in the mouth. My dogs have accidentally licked my dad's before and regretted it. It won't go away quickly and honestly she may not want to stop being as its making her skin feel weird.

Can you ask for an advance from your employer?

Really care credit, if you can get it, is a FABULOUS plan. My best friend needed emergency neutering for her chi when he had testicular torsion and she needed my mom to co-sign on the application. It worked and she has 18 months to pay off 600 dollars with 36 dollar payments and no interest unless she passes those 18 months which is plenty. My mother also used the Car credit after the fact to help assist me pay for my foster dog's ear after we had a fight here. We paid it off a month later but that extra month really saved me a lot of heart ache and stress.

El_EmDubya
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby El_EmDubya » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:20 pm

pacopoe wrote:Take a deep breath... it's not the end of the world.

In addition to the orthodogs group babyreba suggested, there's a sister group, "conservative management," that has lots of tips for people who choose to not go the surgery route. Like InBears said, it's imperative you stop with the home treatment and get some advice from professionals or at least people who have been through it before.

Her good leg did not go because she was putting all of her weight on it. Statistically, if a dog has one bad knee then the other will go in time. If her one leg is fixed, it should be able to support her weight while the other heals. It's not ideal, but you may be able to avoid surgery. Sure, the leg will never be 100% and you will have other issues to deal with, but unless you have grand sport dog plans it may be your best option at this point.

For the meantime, get a sling (http://pacosleg.blogspot.com/2008/03/support.html) to support her weight during potty breaks, keep her quiet, quiet, quiet and go do some reading.

Good luck!

x2 :thumbsup:

We didn't opt for surgery as Monte is an older, low drive dog. I've since heard of more people (with higher drive dogs) who are opting for Conservative management. My vet is still floored that he healed so well, but it was 6 months of NO jumping up on the couch or into the car. He also got this supplement (http://www.costco.ca/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=10300388&whse=BCCA&topnav=&cat=1010&hierPath=770*%E2%8C%A9=en-CA# as a part of his raw diet. We also put him on a diet to get his weight as low as possible. (I also met a guy researching nutritional strategies to decrease recovery times in thoroughbred racehorses. He claimed that you HAVE to have the MSM combo to get good joint recovery results.)

He will never have a perfect gait (and he never did to begin with), but he can run and play for 20 mins a day without worry or pain. This is two years after two vets said he needed the surgery. Yes, it might blow out again, but we keep an eye on him, try to keep his weight down, and give him supplements to minimize inflammation / support his joints.

It is worth it to explore ALL options and to listen to both sides with an open mind. The vet will likely push surgery, because those who'd chosen conservative management are few and far between, so keep that in mind.

LMW

PinKster
Matured Bully

Postby PinKster » Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:52 pm

I am so sorry!!! I hope Helena feels better soon!

ColbyDogs
Bully Ambassador

Postby ColbyDogs » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:05 pm

Shes Got Heart wrote: So if it's working a job at micky D's I'll do it.

Shouldn't this be your first option before you panhandle others for your bills ?

Seriously not trying to be a jerk but its hard to show you sympathy when begging others is your first option for your financial burden, getting a job should be your first option not your second or third. As I said over at Game-dogs I feel for your dog and do not wish harm to her but IMHO the way your going about this leaves a bad taste in peoples mouths and sours people from further wanting to help others who try on thier own first before pandering to others for help.

What I want to know is even if you pull through this one how are you going to afford future accidents now that you have multiple dogs under your care ? Owning a dog goes beyond love and affection but also there is a financial obligation to them aswell, maybe you should re-evaluate your situation and stop opening your home to animals that you cannot financially support.

FriscoGirl
BANNED

Postby FriscoGirl » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:44 pm

I hope not but she's very could be dealing with the same issue til the end of time, you get another surgery, she tears it again, then what?

I always have a few thousand stuffed away for emergencies, for my dogs. I have insurance for my kids but my dogs insurance is their family (us) cutting back and putting away a few hundred dollars at a time until their was enough emergency money I felt comfortable with.

people are being hard enough on you, I wish you the best but I do think her ACL will always be a problem.

Shes Got Heart
Bully Ambassador

Postby Shes Got Heart » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:50 pm

I had a great job and income when I got Helena. I lost it due to my illness.

How can I apply for care credit? I have a veterinarian that my mom worked for for several years. They know me and I am setting up an appointment when the vet calls me tomorrow. I only asked for help because I have seen several people with hardships get help. I'm not asking anyone to pay for an entire surgery. I will not be icing the leg, but I did get some canine aspirin and glucos/msm/chondriton and she is on TOTW dog food. I have contacted pbrc and found other resources as well for low income people who need help with their pets. This did just happen yesterday completely unexpected.

God bless those who have offered advice and help. I will keep everyone updated. Please keep my baby in your prayers.

Shes Got Heart
Bully Ambassador

Postby Shes Got Heart » Tue Jul 07, 2009 3:52 pm

FriscoGirl wrote:I hope not but she's very could be dealing with the same issue til the end of time, you get another surgery, she tears it again, then what?

I always have a few thousand stuffed away for emergencies, for my dogs. I have insurance for my kids but my dogs insurance is their family (us) cutting back and putting away a few hundred dollars at a time until their was enough emergency money I felt comfortable with.

people are being hard enough on you, I wish you the best but I do think her ACL will always be a problem.

I worry about that too. After all this is done she's just going to be my couch buddy. No hard stress at all.

Return to “Health Issues”