Capone is Sick: I'm in need of advice

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Capone is Sick: I'm in need of advice

Postby PitBull-Lady » Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:22 am

Ok, PBF-ers... It's my turn.

Capone was fine yesterday morning. He got up at his normal time, went outside, ate his breakfast, drank water etc.
In fact he was sooooooooooo annoying. He would not let me sleep even though I as exhausted (like that matters)
We took the kids on a walk he was his normal perky self.

We ran errands and did all normal things. Nothing odd, except his schedule was a little off.

We got home to find him in his kennel with thick bubbly drool coming from his mouth. For him this IS wierd.
Then he went outside, peed etc. He was a little more nervous than normal.

As the evening went on he spent more time outside and was eating lots of grass, For him this IS NOT wierd. He does this daily. H still wanted to play

We went and got dinner, came home, same thing. Thick saliva, went outside, peed, this time strained to poop, due to diarreah, vomited.

We knew he was acting wierd but tried to play it off for his sake. to see if he would do other normal things.
We tried to feed him, he liked the sounds of the bowl but did not want to eat.
As the evening went on, kept on throwing up more, and more.
Each time is was just water and grass.
The 'water' did have a bad smell and a slight rusty tint. However, everything about Capone has always had that kind of smell. I can best describe it as a protein/bloody smell. Every excretion from him has this smell.
NO there was no pink blood or anything in it at any point.

As the night went on, I tried to feed him some ham thinking he would l-o-ve that because he has no problem ever eating stuff like that. This would be an opportunity to get something in his stomach. No go it was like feeding him poison. Then he threw up the few pieces he did eat in 3 minutes.

We went to bed. After a long time to get comfy, he fell asleep and stayed asleep, no vomit in the bed.

Of course I'm afraid about him being dehydrated, but something tells me to wait this out a little.
Yes, I'm going to call the vet when it opens. I will go in later if need be.
With all the expertise we have here. Do you all have any ideas?
I don't need to tell you how it worries me to have my little power house so sick.

What I do know
Jasmine is ok, none of the same symptoms
Capone has a desire to drink, it just comes up in less than 5 min
I've tried to limit his water intake so far this morning
He still turns up food.
he still has a desire to play it is just limited

Let me first say, I have NOT:
changed his diet
used poisons
used new cleaning agents
let him run wild
let him get into things like AntiFreeze

PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Re: Capone is Sick: I'm in need of advice

Postby PitBull-Lady » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:31 am

I should also say, he has all his shots, he has all 'normal' healthy things with him.
Gets monthly Heartworm etc.

I was going to put on the newest Frontline for the month today GLAD I DID NOT!!

Leslie H

Postby Leslie H » Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:22 pm

There's a chance he's got an obstruction. I would get him to the vet myself.

rambler72
Bully Ambassador

Postby rambler72 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:46 pm

Leslie H wrote:There's a chance he's got an obstruction. I would get him to the vet myself.

x2 this was my first thought

Nickdawg
Addicted to PBF

Postby Nickdawg » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:32 pm

rambler72 wrote:
Leslie H wrote:There's a chance he's got an obstruction. I would get him to the vet myself.

x2 this was my first thought

x 3, these are all significant signs of such - drooling, vomiting - can't keep food down b/c it can't pass through, straining to poop...

keep us updated.

Alyssa
Super Bully

Postby Alyssa » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:09 pm

I'm thinking bloat or obstruction myself - both of which scream for seeing a veterinarian ASAP.

PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:04 am

Yeah that was my first thought too, but in terms of feeling for stuff, none of the normal palpatations were prooving anything in the back or the front.

So I waited, I was trying to do work, but just couldn't thinking about his so restless next to me.
I cooked up some rice with Chicken Broth and threw some chunks in there. Several times tried to hand feed him using Jasmine as motivation with how nummy it was............. nothing.

He looked worse before the hubby got home. He got up to say hi, no tail wag, nothing.
I had already taken away his ability to be in the yard unsupervised.
I would not let him eat grass.
I would not let him lick anything.
...what was there left for him to do?????

I had already told myself if by the time he got home from work if he was not better we would head to the vet (they close at 10)

So, I did what any respectable mom has ever one, "Good you're home, you try to get him to eat!" :tongue:
So he grabbed a handfull of Goldfish Crackers and ate them and fed home some, and then more, and then we tried the Cheerios (I know is he a human baby or a dog...) he gobbled them up.

a little water

So then we wait 20 minutes and try some of the chicken and rice gruel. He acts like it's the best thing ever.

a little more water

outside to walk and pee

a little more water

a little more food

wait.....

more rice with a little kibble.

1 hour later he was back to normal like nothing happened.
now, I won't tell you about the poop, but no vomit and a much happier, puppy of a dog.
He played, slept all night, it was wonderful

The vet always tells me we keep her on her toes and bring her the most interesting of cases. This being one of the many mysteries apparently of Capone.

He was so well this morning I had no worries leaving him in his crate. It leterally was a 26 hour turn around from night to day. I've never seen anything like it in my own dogs.

Now to see if the Immodium worked. Pumpkin tonight.

rambler72
Bully Ambassador

Postby rambler72 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:16 pm

Oh good!!! Keep us updated! :nana: :clap

SKoth
Bully Ambassador

Postby SKoth » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:54 pm

My first thought when you say that he has a "rusty" smell to him is uremia. I would at some point do a little bloodwork on him if you can to make sure everything is ok with his kidneys. Could also explain him not feeling well. Sometimes your vet can do a Chem/CBC & Heartworm combo that saves a little money (sometimes called a Health Check Plus or Wellness/Heartworm). I'd be interested to know if I were you.

Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Ilovethepits » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:05 pm

I'm so glad Capone is okay. Maybe he got into something.

Lily got really sick once, really fast. She was vomiting up huge puddles of water/foam and sort of stumbling around.
I took her to the ER vet, but they couldn't find anything so I took her home for observation. She was fine the next day.

A couple days later I found a wet stick of incense on the floor underneath the kitchen cupboards. I bet anything she was mouthing it and got poisoned. I've had an asthma-like attack twice from burning incense but didn't figure it out until it happened twice and I ended up in the ER one time.

Pitbully
Newborn Bully

Postby Pitbully » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:17 pm

Hello, My suggestion is go to the vet. My pooch recently ate my rug. Before he ate my rug - he was actually GRAZING on grass in the backyard and licking the floor - morning came and part of the rug was gone (You will see pics of what came out of his throat - rug threads somewhere on the health forum here). Likewise what came out the other end. I was lucky enough to have evidence of what he ate - the vet told me that many dogs eat stuff and you don't know until there is a blockage. She told me so long as he was eating and poohing regularly, no obstruction. Told me to give him mineral oil for people to help the rug pass through his system. If he didn't vomit and pass up the rug threads, she told me she had to do a barium xray to find the obstruction and then surgery to get it out. We are really lucky that Tank got rid of the rug naturally. She also told me to keep Pepto Bismal in the house for him - when I see him acting weird and eating grass it's due to his stomach being upset, just give him the child's dosage on the bottle - vet also said that for a large dog you really cannot over due the Pepto (just don't give entire bottle, obviously).

Good Luck - I know your panic, worry and pain because my Tank recently ruined my Independence Day Weekend - we had to cancel plans to make sure he was poohing and eating - oh, what we won't do for our babies.

Let me know what the vet says. Hope it works out for you.

Melissa :pray

Alyssa
Super Bully

Postby Alyssa » Thu Jul 09, 2009 5:40 am

On the Pepto ... if you have never used it .... here is a warning ...

Most dogs are NOT going to like it. At all. In fact they might just spit it out.

Not such a big deal you might think ... unless you decide to try giving your dog that stuff on a light colored carpet or around light colored furniture - as Pepto STAINS and stains good.

Even if they don't spit it out, they might shake their heads - spraying little pink dots and streams everywhere.

Best to do it outside. :thumbsup:

Just a heads up lol.

PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:53 pm

Thanks for the advice, I will try the Mineral Oil route. But still his poop is tragic... but it is always runny & firm, and runny & firm. I hope he'll thicken up quick... poop that is. Body definately!!!

Thanks for the suggestions. We're going to be in there soon enough anyway to do a 1 year check up. I know I'll get urine and blood done just because, but it's a weird situation because I think he's actually ok, but I'm usually a worrywart and get every test done anyway.

Now JAsmine is acting lethargic.... let's assume it's a dog thing.
However, someone told me it is fox mating season. F-in great. Screaming and sleeplessness as well as potential crap in the yard.

As for Capone's volitile stomach, no no clue. No poop to inspect, no tell tale signs, nothing. We have nothing to go on except we did move the couch, so golly knows what he could have found, but usually that's just dog toenail remnants and dust bunnies. He could have got into the recycle cans, but it was mostly stuff that would not cause harm, or he could have licked 'off' off of our skin. But I don't let him lick me... so I don't know. It's a mystery. It culd have been someone's grass on a walk, it could be something he stepped in on the walk, althought we have no idea what 'that' could possibly be. So yet again, no clue :dunno:

The vet actually recommended a pill of Pepcid instead. smaller, less pink... not as much cherry taste etc.

Ilovethepits wrote:... I've had an asthma-like attack twice from burning incense but didn't figure it out until it happened twice and I ended up in the ER one time.

me too, and I'll tell you it sucks. I found out the hard way about lillies that I was allergic. It was in face cream!!!
Asthma will sneak up on you! Keep the inhaler or epi pen handy.

So ask me... how do you know you are allergic to wasps???
Your foot swells up the size of a butternut squash on a holiday weekend in rural pennsylvania where no drug stores are open because it is sunday. fun times, fun times.....

PitBull-Lady
Addicted to PBF

Postby PitBull-Lady » Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:55 pm

SKoth wrote:My first thought when you say that he has a "rusty" smell to him is uremia. I would at some point do a little bloodwork on him if you can to make sure everything is ok with his kidneys. Could also explain him not feeling well. Sometimes your vet can do a Chem/CBC & Heartworm combo that saves a little money (sometimes called a Health Check Plus or Wellness/Heartworm). I'd be interested to know if I were you.
Thanks for the info, I'll consider it, kidneys are no laughing matter. I actually thought it was from the excess grass rubbing against the lining of his stomach, but with out science, it's hard to say, but the vet was not worried about that, she seemed to think that part was par for the course.. we will see.

Return to “Health Issues”