Hematoma in the ear

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
pitahaulic
Newborn Bully

Hematoma in the ear

Postby pitahaulic » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:14 am

We had two puppies with Aural Hematomas. I had never heard of or seen this. Their mother, Dakota, had the same thing when she was a puppy. I did some research on line and talked to the vet. The vet said that it was not passed down. But we thought it rather odd that she had it and two of her puppies had it as well. One person told us that is was a genetic defect and it was passed down. We had to take the puppies to get the fluid drained from thier ears and spent a couple hundred dollars on vet bills. It was a general answer that it was caused by ear mites irritating the ears and the dog constantly shaking their heads which causes them to bust blood vessels in their ears, in turn causing the ear to fill with fluid(blood). But upon vet examination neither puppy had mites. So the vet could never give us a clear explination as to why this had happened. If anyone has dealt with this or has any input, it would be appreciated. Both puppies have healed and are doing fine. Abby is actually one of the puppies that had this done and she seems fine. She has some scarring on her ears but that's about it. I just wanted to see if anybody had delt with this as well and if you could offer any info. I searched if anyone had already posted something about this but couldn't find anything. Not saying that there's not, I just couln't find it so sorry if their is!!!

Pit Chick
Forum Junky

Re: Hematoma in the ear

Postby Pit Chick » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:35 am

All four of my dogs got hematomas. None of my dogs are related and none of them had ear mites. Since I love Ginger's erect ears the way they are I had the surgery done for astetic purposes. The vet said it's not a necessary surgery, the fluid in the ears will eventually go away, however it leaves the ears crumpled over. After not getting results I wanted from the surgery, I opted not to get surgery on the other dogs when they got hematomas (all at different times). One of my dogs has rose prick ears so you can't even tell she had a hematoma. However, you can tell with my other 3 who have/had erect ears. Ginger had hematomas in both ears (at different times) and the other 3 just one ear. It can happen to any dog at any time with enough hard head shaking. :\

pitahaulic
Newborn Bully

Postby pitahaulic » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:27 am

ok see our vet told us that we needed to bring them in as soon as possible cause they could burst and it's very painful for the dog. They said they could just drain it but they had to put stitches in to keep it from coming back. They both had it in both ears. One of abby's ears was pretty full and that's the one that has such bad scarring. it kinda lays sideways sometimes. we had the surgery done to keep their ears from bursting (at least that's what we were told) and of course to keep them from being in pain. Thank you so much for your input. :))

Pit Chick
Forum Junky

Postby Pit Chick » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:24 am

No ear bursting here. The vet I work for tells people that surgery is an urgent issue too, except she says it's more critical when the swelling is further down in the ear, not the penum (ear flap), now that I could agree with, but when it's just the penum there's no issue with blocking the ear canal. Draining does no good because it just fills back up. My dogs didn't seem to be in any pain with hematomas. It looked painful, but they didn't act like it hurt, no shying away or yelping when touched.

IMO it's just one more way for the vets to make money.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:25 pm

Fixing aural hematomas is purely for aesthetics, and the sooner you fix them the better the results, once scar tissue forms you cannot take it away. Surgery may not be necessary in all cases, but sometimes they will not go away otherwise.

I cared for a dog with an aural hematoma in vet school who got a hematoma shaking his head during swim therapy (he had spinal issues) and he could not have surgery because of his neurologic condition. He had that hematoma for FOUR MONTHS despite agressive wrapping of the ear to prevent more trauma. It drove him absolutely bonkers because he had big floppy ears with a big fluid pocket in them. There's no reason for a dog to live with that kind of irritation when a simple procedure will fix it.

Return to “Health Issues”