Hot Spots...I think

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Cherry
Bully Lover 4 Life

Hot Spots...I think

Postby Cherry » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:43 am

I'll post pictures this evening of what Cherry's spots look like but I am pretty worried about her. These areas are affected: armpits and her thigh folds...where the hip meets her bdy, the inner part I guess. That is her favorite spot to lick....24/7. It is brownish and her hair is thin because of it. We did the Malaseb baths and that took away the brown stains temporarily but the hair is super brittle and thin. We stopped all baths because they just make her itchier and are starting to just do daily cold rinses. Her last bath was Saturday, with Histacalm. She had an allergic reaction to it. (hives) Two days ago I noticed a quarter sized raw, red spot on the edge of her thigh/leg. I upped the Benadryl dosage and put tshirts on her to discourage licking/itching. I also wiped it with a Malaseb wipe to see if that could help kill some of the bacteria. Shouldn't have done that, I think....Her armpits were a little red and damp as well. Last night the spot on her thigh had grown to at least the length of a dollar bill and the width of 3 fingers. There is no hair left, it is red, raw and scaly. There are pimple like spots (kind of what a popped pimple would look like/blister) Her armpits are scabby, raw and damp to the touch. Neither of her vets can see her until tomorrow. :( I want them to test for staph and other bacterial infections. I called both and one recommended Prednisone. I don't touch that stuff anymore, especially since we are starting her immunotherapy shots in a couple weeks. The other said Benadryl and cortisone cream, which always makes her way worse....Benadryl hasn't helped at all so one of the vets prescribed Tavist to help with the intense itchiness. Picking that up after work today. I will be purchasing an e-collar tonight to stop her from licking it. Anyone else have this issue with their allergy dogs? Any specific meds or home remedies that worked for you? Thanks in advance :)

InBearsMemory
Bully Ambassador

Re: Hot Spots...I think

Postby InBearsMemory » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:10 am

Sounds almost like a bacterial infection, possibly staff or ringworm but its hard to say without seeing it and I would definitely recommend seeing a vet to get a proper diagnosis and the right medication for the problem. In the meantime keep this in mind in regards to any skin problems: If it is wet, keep it dry. If it's dry, keep it moisturized.

Cherry
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Cherry » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:10 pm

Oh trust me, she's going to the vet at 4pm tomorrow. It is the soonest either can get us in. I've got Earthbath hot spot spray with tea tree oil that I may try tonight. Can't make it much worse. :/

Cherry
Bully Lover 4 Life

Please take a look at Cherry's allergy pics

Postby Cherry » Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:57 pm

These are pictures of the reaction Cherry is currently having. I didn't want to leave any out in case someone had some input so I'm just posting a link to the photobucket album. It should be public. The pictures are labeled yesterday and today. She frequently gets the rash on her belly but this is the 1st time her thigh has gotten raw and hairless. It happened over a couple days time. Also, I see yeast on her belly, mouth and thighs. What do y'all think? Oh and yes, I'm taking her to the vet tomorrow!They couldn't get me in today. I picked up some Tavist from the vet tonight to try. So far she hasn't been itching very much!! :) IT is working better than Benadryl already :) She loves to low crawl on the carpet, I think it may be rugburn on her thigh....Who knows. She is always itchy and rubs herself all over the carpet frequently. I of course stop her immediately, as soon as I see her but she still manages to do damage. :( I just wanted to share and see if ya'll had some insight. I promise she doesn't always look like this. She had been looking SO good until about a month ago. :(

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v401/johnnjess/Cherrys%20Booboos/

Cherry
Bully Lover 4 Life

Re: Please take a look at Cherry's allergy pics

Postby Cherry » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:01 pm

Some examples of the pics::

Armpit tonight,,,it is damp and very inflamed

Belly shot yesterday

Thinning hair yeasterday

Yeast?

Neck...tonight

Yeast? That isn't puss...she just ate lol

Thigh

Pretty girl :)

PinKster
Matured Bully

Re: Please take a look at Cherry's allergy pics

Postby PinKster » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:25 pm

I don't have any useful input, but I hope she feels better!! She looks so sad! :sad:

Enigma
Forum Junky

Postby Enigma » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:58 am

I think that's an allergic reaction to something. Brina gets the exact same rash when her allergies kick in.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:39 am

Awe... poor baby needs some antibiotics, and some cortisone spray would probably make her feel better too.

NO LICKING!!!! Get an e-collar on that pup ASAP.

Cherry
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Cherry » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:59 am

Picking an e-collar up tonight. I went to go get one last night but they didn't have any, their shipment got in today. I went to 3 stores looking for them and no one had any! I've been spraying the Earthbath hot spot relief on it and it seem to be relieving the itch and keeping her from licking. It just wears off quickly. The leg is still the same, just no more intense rash on her belly. Her hives are slowly going down as well, the Tavist seems to be working. My boss won't let me off work so I can't get to the vet until tomorrow morning. Even then, my husband is going to have to bring her in and he's clueless about the terminology. Hopefully she won't just blow it off. :/

Return to “Health Issues”