Puppy's first heat cycle

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
JobbiVickie
Newborn Bully

Puppy's first heat cycle

Postby JobbiVickie » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:42 am

We would have had Lucy spayed but she started her period before we could get things arranged. It has been about 5 weeks, so we're taking her in for a check up to make sure there's nothing unusual going on. My question is, does uncontrollable runny poo come with dog's periods? We've never had an unspayed female before and we're going through a rough time with Lucy pooping some bad stuff in the house even after she has been outside and had a chance to take care of business. We're cutting back her wet food and treats to eliminate them as a cause.

Can anyone offer any input on this unpleasant situation?

Shoshana
Bully Ambassador

Re: Puppy's first heat cycle

Postby Shoshana » Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:21 pm

We found Peanut while she was in hat and she didn't have a poo problem. We wound up spaying her while she was in heat because she was a stray and we didn't know how long she'd been out running or if she'd been found by any intact male dogs.

I'd say take her in. She needs to be checked out. She might have parasites or an infection.

Good luck!

spammie

Postby spammie » Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:37 pm

I don't know how long you've had her, but the poo thing could be from change in diet, parasites and other stuff. They can spay while in heat, but I don't think the poo is related to the heat.

RuffMuttK9z

Postby RuffMuttK9z » Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:04 pm

I've taken in a lot of rescue bitches in heat and they're all different. I've had a few that have had nasty diarrhea while in heat. I've had others that pee in their crate constantly while in heat. I've had some that don't seem to be affected by it at all. So it certainly could be a cause, but it's not a guarantee. She definitely could have something else going on.

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:27 pm

She's been in heat for 5 weeks?!

JobbiVickie
Newborn Bully

Postby JobbiVickie » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:10 pm

Yep Five weeks since I first noticed her spotting. She's still swollen and my male (neutered) elder statesman is still giving it a shot any chance he can

Midnight Sun APBT
Matured Bully

Postby Midnight Sun APBT » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:43 pm

has she been activly bleeding for 5 weeks??

If she's been activly bleeding for 5 weeks she needs to see a vet, a normal full cycle is about 3, I would be concerned at a full4 weeks..... 5 is a bad deal.

If she is just swollen, she is most likely experiencing a false pregnancy. And if your male is still really into her smell, she may very well have a UTI, which can be common with females around their heat cycles. My males never could smell the difference.... and would be all over a female no where near her heat cylce, if she had a UTI....

either way, sounds like a check up is in order.

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:35 am

Yes, 5 weeks would be really abnormal, definitely time to see a vet.

JobbiVickie
Newborn Bully

Postby JobbiVickie » Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:05 pm

Thanks for the guidance. No bleeding anymore but definitely swollen. Vet appointment set for Wednesday. I'll let you know how it goes

MikeZev
Addicted to PBF

Postby MikeZev » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:46 am

they remain a little swollen after the heat concludes for a week or two and it gradually goes down

JobbiVickie
Newborn Bully

Postby JobbiVickie » Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:00 pm

The joys of parenting lol

BlueMountainBullies
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby BlueMountainBullies » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:41 pm

MikeZev wrote:they remain a little swollen after the heat concludes for a week or two and it gradually goes down

Yep Belle is still swollen, but she is long out of heat. She won't ever get as small as she was before her first heat cycle, and her nipples will be swollen too. It's because of the hormones involved.

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:48 pm

BlueMountainBullies wrote:
MikeZev wrote:they remain a little swollen after the heat concludes for a week or two and it gradually goes down

Yep Belle is still swollen, but she is long out of heat. She won't ever get as small as she was before her first heat cycle, and her nipples will be swollen too. It's because of the hormones involved.

The male shouldn't still be after her, though.

retro
Adolescent Bully

Postby retro » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:04 am

might be if she hasn't had a bath and is still "coming out." that wouldn't worry me too much.

is there any chance she could be pregnant? sometimes bred bitches don't "unswell" until after they whelp. i've had many an oldtimer tell me that's one of the things they look for, and i've seen it hold true with my own girls now... if she is bred, the changed hormones could explain the male's interest too...

JobbiVickie
Newborn Bully

Postby JobbiVickie » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:44 pm

Conceivably she could be pregnant - if my boy's neutering wasn't 100%. He's the only male she has been in contact with. The Dobie over the back wall is female, and those are the only two dogs she has been in contact with. On the bright side, Lucy and my boy Brisco would produce beautiful pups. Not that we want that. Two dogs are plenty already.

Anyway, Monday is vet day. They'll get to the bottom of this dilemma.

Return to “Health Issues”