Mast cell tumor and chemo

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Mast cell tumor and chemo

Postby lauraplane » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:46 am

Hi all,

My Barney is about 4 1/2 years old (aprox, he was a rescue so not positive). He had a small lump that we had removed and biopsied, turns it is a mast cell tumor, grade is high II. We have started chemo for him. His first treatment was last thursday. That treatment was vinblastine and the next one he gets in 2 weeks is CCNU.

I am wondering if anyone else has gone through this. I would love information, how did your dog do etc.

One thing we need to do is increase his protein content. We are going to be mixing stuff in with his food. I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions. I added tuna so far, but I don't think that is enough protein. We were also told to give him some veggies. He LOVES canned pumkin (pure pumpkin not pie mix) so we have been giving him that. Any other ideas? He will be on chemo for about 16 weeks.

Thanks
lauraplane
Newborn Bully

Re: Mast cell tumor and chemo

Postby VC_Reno » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:59 pm

:hug:

I just wanted to send you and Barney lots and lots of healing vibes. I hope he does well with the chemo.
VC_Reno
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby julie64 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:08 pm

This site has some good info.
http://www.dogcancer.net/diet.html

Good luck to Barney!! Please keep us posted.
julie64
Addicted to PBF

Postby mtlu » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:13 pm

VC_Reno wrote::hug:

I just wanted to send you and Barney lots and lots of healing vibes. I hope he does well with the chemo.

x2! I don't have any experience with MCT but I wish for the best outcome for Barney!

As for food, I noticed in another thread that you are feeding TOTW Pacific Stream. If he tolerates food changes well, you could try Orijen 6 Fish or Wellness Core Ocean; both of these are also grain-free and IMO probably even better quality than TOTW (which I am currently feeding as well).

We usually add a spoonful of wet food to my dog's kibble and we recently tried Wellness 95%: http://www.wellnesspetfood.com/dog_well ... lmon.html#
It also comes in chicken, beef, turkey, and lamb. I don't know if Barney has any allergy issues at all but the Wellness 95% canned makes it easy to limit ingredients/protein sources if you have any known food allergy issues.
mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby tiva » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:34 pm

Last year, our pit cross Tiva had a mast cell tumor, high grade II as well, and they couldn't get clear margins when they excised it. She was about 12. Luckily, the tumor was in her tail, so we elected for a tail amputation rather than radiation, and the vet advised against chemo. A year later, she's completely fine, so we just hope they don't come back.

I would ask your vet if they got clean margins when they removed the tumor (I'm guessing they did; otherwise, my understanding is that they'd be talking to you about radiation). My understanding is also that dogs tend to tolerate the chemo quite well.

Good luck! Even though Tiva's experience was different, I hope it's reassuring to know that many dogs come through grade II mast cell tumors quite well.
tiva
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Misskiwi67 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 10:36 pm

Also ask for a referral to an oncologist if you aren't seeing one already. There is a new drug on the market, or it will be out very very soon specifically designed for mast cell tumors.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby lauraplane » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:04 am

Thank you all for your comments. We did get clean margins I am thankful for that.
Oh and the new drug we should be getting it. I guess it helps reduce the chances of a re-occurance. Tiva, thank you! Your post really did help. Our hope is that it won't come back and we gets lots of years with Barney.

He tolerates food changes OK, we just didn't want to do too much with the chemo and all. I do like the idea of adding some good canned food to the kibble. I will look into that. He has some allergy issues, but I feel like that is to grain.

Thanks again. You all helped a lot. Going to check out that website linked above.
lauraplane
Newborn Bully

Postby lauraplane » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:05 am

Oh, and we are seeing an Oncologist too. We live in Flagstaff AZ and have to go to Phoenix (2 hour drive one way), but we gotta do what we gotta do.
lauraplane
Newborn Bully

Return to Health Issues