Dogs doing poorly on Good Quality Food?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Dogs doing poorly on Good Quality Food?

Postby Maryellen » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:31 pm

so, is it possible for a dog to NOT do well on good quality food? i think so.... i am seriously thinking of putting ruby on Purina Pro Plan.... no matter what high quality food i give her she has hot spots, stinks to high heaven, and is itching all the time... when i had her on raw she did good, but i cant put her back on raw due to her kidneys go thru the roof and dont work right per blood/urine work.she was on another kibble first after the raw, a high quality one, and then been on the DVP LID formula for a while now, and ever since i put her back on kibble especially the DVP she stinks (she had the beginnings of the hot spot/irritation on the other high food), has 2 hot spots on her chest area, chews herself, and itches... her allergy tests came back fine... no airborne allergies... i know (trust me i know as i am a huge supporter of high quality food with no fillers/crap ) that good quality food is what most folks use, but i am wondering if some dogs just cant handle the richness? my gsd was on purina pro plan until i found the forums when she turned 2 , and i switched her from pro plan to canidae and thats when all her problems began (now it could be coinsidental too) but she did awesome on the pro plan...

so i went out and got a bag of wellness fish and potato and TOTW fowl to see how ruby does on one of those.. i am seriously considering getting her ProPlan to see how she does...

thoughts ? comments?

Amie

Re: Dogs doing poorly on Good Quality Food?

Postby Amie » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:18 pm

:dunno:
I have a friend who swears her dog does better on grains than on grain-free - not the same as your question, but it's close, I guess.

Honestly, you've had so many problems with her health, if she was only healthy if you gave her a cheeseburger and french fries every day, I'd say go for it - you deserve a break today!

RuffMuttK9z

Postby RuffMuttK9z » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:55 pm

People are terribly mistaken if they think one food works for all dogs. Feed what works for your dog(s). Period. You know your dog best so only you know what she does best on.

I've done a lot of research and I don't buy that grain free kibbles are as good for dogs as they claim to be.

I fed Pro Plan years ago and my dogs always did just fine on it.

InBearsMemory
Bully Ambassador

Postby InBearsMemory » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:08 pm

To be honest I never ever had a single issue in regards to skin/hot spots or dry coats with any of my dogs before I read about all these "high quality brands" on the net. We fed my Husky girl Kibbles and Bits and Pedigree for the first 5 years of her life and she was doing wonderful on that food. She is 9 years now and still as healthy as an ox.
The Purina Pro Plan Salmon formula is actually pretty good. I have fed that before and the dogs looked good on it and the only reason I stopped feeding it was that my local supplier couldn't keep a large enough stock of it at all times and I ended up having to buy a different brand every other bag.

julie64
Addicted to PBF

Postby julie64 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:18 pm

People are terribly mistaken if they think one food works for all dogs. Feed what works for your dog(s). Period. You know your dog best so only you know what she does best on.

I agree with this. I think Ruby would love you if you put her on a cheeseburger diet. :)

Mya&theSiebenDackels
Addicted to PBF

Postby Mya&theSiebenDackels » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:35 pm

My Grandparents feed their dogs Retriever Dog food and that is basically corn in a bag. Yet, their dogs have shiny coats and skin, are nice and lean, and are very healthy. Yet, Retriever dog food makes our dogs' hair fall out and skin be all flaky. Also, makes them fat. It all just depends on the dog! We feed our dogs Diamond Naturals Lamb and Rice and they do wonderful on it!

Just feed what works for Ruby and I can only imagine how hard it is to deal with allergies like your dogs have! Good Luck!

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:40 pm

well i am going to try Pro plan, wellness, and totw. one at a time of course . i wish i could find a food that works for her.. it would make my life half easier..

Enigma
Forum Junky

Postby Enigma » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:55 pm

Maryellen wrote:so, is it possible for a dog to NOT do well on good quality food?
Sure it is. My Jaka is the perfect example for that, he can't handle the top quality foods, they give him bloody diarrhea, especially grainless foods. I feed him with a medium quality food and he does good on it. Yesterday he even had polenta (corn meal mush) and he pooped the hardest poop today than he did in the last two months (loose stools were the main reason for his anal gland problem - he expressed them by himself today without any problems). So i guess all that grain free diets don't work for all dogs, my dogs always did good on foods with grain (except wheat, two of our dogs are allergic on it, but other grains are fine), the first grain free food was imported to our country only about two years ago, before that we only had foods that had grains in them and dogs did great on them.

Shoshana
Bully Ambassador

Postby Shoshana » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:03 pm

I'd say go with what works. I convinced my friends to try other foods and her older dogs all had problems so they're back on Nutro Ultra Senior formula.

Her male senior dog has to eat 3-4 cups a day cause he's so active he gets skinny on less. But because of various health problems he can't have regular adult food. (Can't remember if it's too much protein or too much fat)

rambler72
Bully Ambassador

Postby rambler72 » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:44 pm

Maryellen wrote:well i am going to try Pro plan, wellness, and totw. one at a time of course . i wish i could find a food that works for her.. it would make my life half easier..

Just give each adequate time. It took our dogs 2 months before they leveled out, their hair got coarse, dry skin, hotspots, stinky. They got worse before they got better. :huh?: Had to detoxify.

spammie

Postby spammie » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:08 pm

ME, I know you'll do what's best for your dog.
It's not crazy that some dogs do better on a mid quality food. Kane had constant diarrhea on some of the best foods, and does beston Diamond Naturals.

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:19 pm

tonight we started TOTW Fowl to see if that works, the next 2 months will tell..

dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby dogs4jen » Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:23 am

How about California Natural-that's a nice simple food, only eleven ingredients. Just thought I'd suggest it in case the TOTW doesn't work out. Good luck finding a food that works out, that sounds really frustrating.
Jen

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:16 am

ME, are you doing canned or kibbles for Ruby?

Megan
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Megan » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:26 am

Gavin was on dried kibble-- We tried Natures Vairety for awhile, as well as some other "good" foods. His tummy would get red as can be, get very itchy--he'd be licking his paws and would then have brown staining all over himself. He did HORRIBLE on a high quality food. I switched him to a grocery brand(think it was Purina One), and his belly started to clear up..but not all the way. I finally settled for something in the middle. Not as bad as a grocery store brand, but not as good as the top quality feeds... VeRus. He's been on it since I'd say December? Maybe a little longer. His belly is finally cleared up fully, he is no longer constantly licking his toes either.

We did play around with Raw at one time, and I almost had him switched--but decided against it. I just don't have the time to give it all the time it needs to insure it's being done right. I'd love to give raw a full on shot in the future, when things settle down..but for now this is the happiest i've been with a food in the two years i've had him.

Return to “Health Issues”