housebreaking idea for Ruby

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

housebreaking idea for Ruby

Postby Maryellen » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:25 pm

since i still cant get her housebroken inside or on the deck, i am now feeding her on the deck, with her food spread out all over the deck in the hopes that she wont potty where she eats.... i hope it works , tonight was the first night of her eating outside, we did the bowl first, just to get her used to eating outside, as she was a little confused when i brought her food outside.. so tomorrow night we are going to do it again, and keep it up to see if it works,. tomorrow night her kibble gets thrown all over the deck in the hopes that if she eats on the deck she wont potty there since i am going to throw her food around. when she gets canned food the food will remain in the bowl due to the bears in the area.. kibble is easier to clean crumbs with water and vinegar vs canned smelly food that can seep into the wood.. i hope this works for the deck potty issues... wish me luck and keep fingers and paws crossed that this works..

Cherry
Bully Lover 4 Life

Re: housebreaking idea for Ruby

Postby Cherry » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:41 pm

Sending vibes your way! C'mon Ruby, you can do it :)

mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby mtlu » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:57 pm

Good luck! It's definitely worth a try!

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:54 am

this morning i spread her kibble out on the deck. she ate, went back in the house, and when i let her out to pee later on she peed where the kibble WASNT spread... so tonight i am increasing the spreading to a larger distance, and will be using the entire deck in sections to spread her kibble.

MikeZev
Addicted to PBF

Postby MikeZev » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:15 am

oh man. its always some kind of fiasco over there! Very clever idea though!

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:26 am

oh yeah tell me about it.. i honestly think anyone else would have returned her a long time ago.. but me the sucker i am just keeps trying...

i am starting to think i am just plain nuts...

InBearsMemory
Bully Ambassador

Postby InBearsMemory » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:57 am

Do you just open the backdoor for her to go out and do her business or are you taking her out on the leash? The reason I am asking is, if I wouldn't have my dogs on a leash when I take them out they would go on my concrete step all the time because they usually go as soon as they are out the door. With the leash on they usually wait until we are in the actual backyard. She might be so used to doing her business on the deck that she thinks its ok.

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:08 am

she goes out on leash, and while i am dragging her to the yard she pees /poops onleash on the deck.. she has been doing this since 3 1/2 months old when i got her.. i even built her a special area just for her that the other dogs dont use with an xpen.. she refuses to go use it.. no amount of treats/toys/begging/pleading will get her in the yard... however, if i carry her and put her in the yard then she will go as long as i block the stairs to go back up to the deck.. if i yell at her to poop in the yard she will go poop in the yard. if i dont say anything she willl go on the deck. she has been yelled at ,reprimanded WHILE going on the deck, nothing works... so now i am trying this.. throwing her food on the deck in various places to see if that will work.. hopefully she will not potty where she eats... and she has been watching the other dogs go, so its possible like babyreba said she doesnt want to potty where the other dogs go as babyreba had a dog like that..

mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby mtlu » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:16 am

I know you've tried a million things already but I can't remember now if have you tried one of those pee posts? I thought about getting one for Molly just to contain her p/p in one area of our yard but our yard is so small anyway I never bothered.

I hope reclaiming the deck by spreading kibble out does the trick for her!

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:36 am

mtlu what is a pee post? i never heard of them

mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby mtlu » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:42 am

I saw one at the pet store quite a while ago – it is scented with pee smell and is supposed to attract the dog to pee on or near where the post is placed. The one I saw was shaped like a little fire hydrant lol about a foot tall and made of plastic. It smelled bad but it's supposed to.

http://www.petfoodexpress.com/petfood/d ... n&pid=1146

RuffMuttK9z

Postby RuffMuttK9z » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:37 pm

She isn't housetrained even? How old is she? Does she ever get free time in the house? No un-housetrained dog would in my house. Potty outside or have fun in your crate.

I'm going through a similar problem with my almost 5mos old pup. He is actually doing well with housetraining but has recently refused to potty in the front yard. I always use the front yard for my puppies as it's easier for quick potty breaks. He has been using it since 7wks old but in the past week he has decided he doesn't want to. If I take him out front he just lays down. I want this habit broken as I like for my dogs to potty whenever/wherever I tell them to. He will potty immediately in the backyard and it isn't a leash issue as he isn't on one in either spot. So, we are having a fun time playing "no potty where I want, back in your crate." He went from 6pm to 6am before he finally just HAD to go even if it was the front yard! He must be so bored in his crate but he will figure this out more quickly if there are no exceptions.
Have you tried a regimen like this with Ruby? Carry her to the yard from her crate. No potty = carried back to crate. It's tedious but it works!

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:57 pm

ruffmutt i have done EVERYTHING to get her housebroken.. she is now 17 months old.. i have NEVER had this type of problem before housebreaking a puppy, and i have had over 50 puppies in this house over 7 years and all of them have been housebroken within 2 months of coming here.. i have a bad back, so carrying a 40 lb dog is out of the question unless i want to wind up throwing my back out and then being out of work.. she spends ALOT of time in her crate or tethered to me because of this. she gets NO free roam EVER.. she used to potty in the yard, and then a few months ago decided not to. now she uses my deck. i take her out like clockwork, i even have a timer set up that i use as well.. i take her out my side door only when its safe, as we have a HIGH number of bears here that use part of my unfenced yard as their territory, so i am always on the lookout for bears. my yard is fenced off the deck, a nice quarter acre.. i even made a separate area with xpens for just her only that the other dogs dont use.. she refuses to go in the yard.i dont know what set her off to stop using the yard.. i have had this problem since i got her at 3 1/2 months old. she did very well with the yard , but wasnt housebroken as she had 4 uti's back to back when i first had her, so it was constant medicines and accidents.. i even thought maybe she is mentally challenged as well .. i praise/treat/throw a huge bash when i can get her in the yard. the house, well i just take her out every 2 hours to avoid indoor accidents. my other 2 dogs i got as pups younger then her and never had a problem. just search my posts and you will see the headaches i have had for the past year and a half..

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:36 pm

2nd feeding on the deck. i tossed the kibble all over the deck.. made sure i covered alot of ground.. she finished eating, then a half hour later peed in the same spot i had thrown some kibble.. we are going to keep doing it though, i figure maybe it will take her a little bit to learn..

RuffMuttK9z

Postby RuffMuttK9z » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:40 pm

I have a dog that was a real pain my my @$$ for the first 2 years of her life. I thought she was just, I dunno, stupid. She would pee and poop in her crate everyday even if I fed her in there. And sometimes she would go in the house totally randomly. If I got her outside in time, she would often go on the patio. It was almost like she couldn't help it. Then I figured out that she really couldn't help it. It was weird. For 2 years I dealt with cleaning her crate everyday. And her random accidents, probably daily, too. I don't think Rumor is mentally challenged but something is definitely wrong with her but the vet can't figure it out. Now she is 3 1/2 and doing pretty good overall. I've figured out that with Rumor it's all about schedule. If she has an accident, she'll probably have two or three more before she gets back on schedule. She cannot go longer than 8 hours, period, end of story. The ONLY reason I drive an extra 13,000 miles per year to come home at lunch is because of Rumor. She rarely stays in a crate at all anymore and as long as I am diligent about her schedule, she does fine. She is my "never again" dog. Never EVER again.

Return to “Health Issues”