Raw Soup Bones

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Washu
Newborn Bully

Raw Soup Bones

Postby Washu » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:51 pm

So, I've been trying to find a better chew for my dogs than bully sticks or those pig skin twists. I read on a few different forums that raw knuckle bones are good, and that they are sold as soup bones in the grocery store. I found a couple at the store, but I wanted to make sure these are the right thing, before I give them to the dogs.

Also, my dogs have never had raw. My plan was to let them chew the bones for a little while every couple days to prevent diarrhea. Does that sound good?

InBearsMemory
Bully Ambassador

Re: Raw Soup Bones

Postby InBearsMemory » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:20 pm

Soup bones are usually very rich, with a ton of marrow so that right there might be enough to give your dogs the green apple splatters. It all depends on the dog though. One thing you have to watch out for is the size of the bones. Some soup bones have smaller round pieces attached somewhere which might get swallowed whole by the dog.

HollyJoy
Super Bully

Postby HollyJoy » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:03 pm

InBearsMemory wrote: the green apple splatters.

I love it.

Yah those are the right kind. If you have a specialized butcher shop you can usually find them for pretty cheap. My dogs love those and will chew the bones for days after being stripped clean.

dr961
Super Bully

Postby dr961 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:44 pm

One thing to bear in mind with giving knuckle bones, or any hard bone (esp. cow leg bones) is if your dogs are super hard, careless or unlucky chewers like mine, they could damage teeth. Both my pit bulls got slab fractures to their back molars when I gave them raw knuckle bones, so needless to say, they now get no bones except raw chicken backs or necks which are easy on the teeth.

I must add that I was really surprised that the raw knuckle bones damaged my pit bulls' teeth, as I used to give them to my hounds with no problems.

Beowulf
Addicted to PBF

Postby Beowulf » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:34 am

My 3 get those every week as a meal. No teeth problems yet. {{{Knocks on wood}}}

rambler72
Bully Ambassador

Postby rambler72 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:49 pm

We switched cold turkey from kibble to raw, we started with chicken backs, wings and legs. Never had a problem with diarehha sp? With enough bone it keeps their poop firm. After about a month of that we started slowly adding small small amounts of organs and some muscle. After about 2mo we were giving them just about every type of meat we could get our hands on. We kept it to the 80-10-10 ratio of 80% meat, 10% bone, and 10% organ. Feeding typically about 2% of their body weight. Like IMB said the marrow can give them the splatters.

Return to “Health Issues”