Exercise for a Pup

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
RyuSoda
Newborn Bully

Exercise for a Pup

Postby RyuSoda » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:06 pm

Hey everybody I was wondering what exercises can I do with my pup besides just walking him? He's almost 9 months now and I know his bones and joints are still developing so how much is too much?

I want to run him and I read puppies shouldn't run because they're still growing. I've seen other people with their pups throw the ball 60yds and the pup takes off running full speed, is that okay?

His current exercises are obedience training, 30min walks, playing with other dogs/puppies, & tug (not very often; drop it was learned VERY early). Unfortunately I don't know much about flirt poles and spring poles. I definitely don't want to rip his teeth out or shift them in anyway.

Future weight-pulling champ in the making or agility (he's surprisingly fast). Don't want to do anything stupid now to jeopardize his health. Thank you!

:peace:

jazminesgranny
Bully Lover 4 Life

Re: Exercise for a Pup

Postby jazminesgranny » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:43 pm

We did a flirt pole with Jazmine when she was younger but we didnt have her jumping for it we dragged it around and let her chase it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfPEetfDKkM

Now this video is when she got older and we let her jump but we did some dragging around in it so you get the idea.. we spent like 10 bucks to make it.. 6ft pvc, robe and a toy... this is also out in the desert where the ground is softer and nothing around to get hurt on..

Debby

jazminesgranny
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby jazminesgranny » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:44 pm

jazminesgranny wrote:We did a flirt pole with Jazmine when she was younger but we didnt have her jumping for it we dragged it around and let her chase it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SfPEetfDKkM

Now this video is when she got older and we let her jump but we did some dragging around in it so you get the idea.. we spent like 10 bucks to make it.. 6ft pvc, robe and a toy... this is also out in the desert where the ground is softer and nothing around to get hurt on..

Debby

DOH! that obviously should be ROPE!

Mooresmajestic
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Mooresmajestic » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:11 pm

Tracking is fun and low impact if you want to add to the routine! It's on grass and involves lots of nose/brain work, and is usually trained in short sessions in about 10-15 min a day.
All I can suggest is to stay off concrete, and no jumping high. I'm sure there are people that will say otherwise, but don't pull anything heavy until after the dogs 2nd b-day when the dog is mostly done growing and you have done hip/elbow x-rays. (This is my own rule and I will not start a dog pulling until it's over 2 and has hip/elbow OFA good or higher.)
Otherwise your routine sounds good for a young pup IMO. My dogs don't start heavy work until after 16 mths. and have prelim hip/elbow x-rays. I don't even start bike runs until after 16 mths and I keep them short(under 1 mile) until 20 mths(1-2 miles) then after 2 yrs I start making them longer(3+ miles).
Remember that this pup will be with you 12-15+yrs. Keeping things light now will bring many more years of fun and work down the road. There is nothing like having a 9-10 yr old dog that can hang in a 5 mile bike run and be ready for more!

RyuSoda
Newborn Bully

Postby RyuSoda » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:47 pm

Jazminesgranny - I appreciate the video very much. Looks like I will be building a flirt pole very soon with one of these old mops or brooms (Swifter is in style :peace: ). I saw robe and I knew you meant rope anyway. Another question while I have your attention, what toy do you suggest? Their favorite or something else? I'm assuming something less than a pound so it can be moved rapidly.

Mooresmajestic - I would love to do tracking with my pup I just don't know how to get started. I stay off of concrete as much as possible. On his walks I put him in the grass while I'm on the edge or in it with him (besides on neighbor's lawns, they complain). I did read about the 2 year wait for the weight-pulling activity. X-rays and the necessary tests will be complete when the time comes so I won't make something bad or decent worse. As for him living 12+ years that is what I want along with his good conditioning and health. I would like to get 2 other pups but only time will tell if that happens. I'm turning 22 next month so he is like my son in a way. No kids for now, haha, I'll finish college first.

I appreciate you two with the commentary and hopefully more feedback from you two and others. :thumbsup:

jazminesgranny
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby jazminesgranny » Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:56 pm

The toy we have on Jazmines is a rubber tire.. but something light but strong cause when the do get ahold of it you need it to hold up... Once you make it get someone to take some video!!!

RyuSoda
Newborn Bully

Postby RyuSoda » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:10 pm

Rubber tire, aye? Sounds good to me. I always wanted to get Ryu one, but I saw my neighbors' APBT's tire and it was shredded. I'm going to make this flirt pole and as soon as possible get some video's up to share around. Thank you!

Mooresmajestic
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Mooresmajestic » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:52 pm

I started with a Schutzhund trainer in my area and told him I only wanted to do the tracking portion. He didn't mind, after all I was still paying him! lol Also you could try and contact your local police dept, they may be able to lead you to a search and rescue team that trains in your area. Or even find a local GSD or senthound club that doesn't mind having a pittie train with them.

RyuSoda
Newborn Bully

Postby RyuSoda » Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:18 pm

Schutzhund? Wow-wee! How did you like the way your dog was trained? I would love to put my pup in those classes as well just to keep him active and make him the best rescue possible. My boy doesn't have to be scientifically breed to still be a all-around beast of smarts and conditioning. I will try to ask around with the K-9 units around here. I've seen some videos of Schutzhund with the wall scaling, vertical jump, bite-work, everything, I just love it. I just hope when that time comes my baby's body is in great shape and his skeletal system is in tip-top shape.

Mooresmajestic
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Mooresmajestic » Sun Aug 02, 2009 10:37 pm

It's alot of fun! I don't do the bite work portion with Vi, we just do the obed, tracking, and endurance, but I plan on it in the future with a pup. The (schutzhund)training seems a lot "harder" than it is, but my girl isn't a "soft" dog so the style suits her well. It is hard to find a good trainer that is willing to go slow and work on confidence building in the dog. A lot of them want to just muscle the dogs into it, and that is no fun. The sport is all about control, most good trainers won't even start bite work without rock solid obedience. Any dog can do it, my friend has a Border/Golden/Lab (certified Therapy and Service Dog) that is on his way to his Sch.1 title! Good luck in your search for a great trainer! Also check out Schutzhund USA http://www.germanshepherddog.com/

RyuSoda
Newborn Bully

Postby RyuSoda » Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:52 pm

Schutzund sounds pretty darn good. I wouldn't mind having my next pup go through this training. What is endurance if I may ask? I do understand what you mean about the slower approach. It makes things a lot better for training (I'm a personal trainer and use that with my clients). Congratulations with your training and your future pup along with your friend who reaching for that title.

Mooresmajestic
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Mooresmajestic » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:06 pm

The endurance trial (Sch. AD) is a 12.7 mile run next to you on your bike. You have to keep a pace of like 7-8 MPH. They do have breaks every so many miles, but it's still tough! It is a great test of conditioning. I'm pretty sure the rules are on the Sch. USA website.

RyuSoda
Newborn Bully

Postby RyuSoda » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:00 am

Wow-wee! I'm going have to get into better shape on the bike then, lol. I can run, sprint, jog a good distance but we'll both start training on that once he's old enough. Thank you again, Mooresmajestic!

Return to “Health Issues”