When to feed vs when to leave

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
PinKster
Matured Bully

When to feed vs when to leave

Postby PinKster » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:40 pm

My husband and I live 45 minutes from Salt Lake City, Utah. Our family lives there including all shopping centers ect.

When we go, we kennel Sadie and Cesar, I don't like leaving them outside, plus its SEVERELY hot out there. Were gone about 6-8 hrs. This is occasionally, maybe 1-3 times a week.

Anyway, my question is about feeding them. I don't want to feed and then leave them kenneled. Sometimes we feed them when when we get home, but its sometimes like 9-10pm and then I have to keep getting up to let them out during the night, for fear they might have an accident. There has been a time where we had an emergency and got home at 3AM. I didn't feed them till the next day! I felt so guilty :( I did however add 1 extra cup for 3 days to make up for it. (Sadie eats 3 cups a day)

Anyway, is there a certain time frame I can feed them, let them out and know they had time to potty?

Thanks for reading, hope it made sense!

FransterDoo
Addicted to PBF

Re: When to feed vs when to leave

Postby FransterDoo » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:44 pm

Anyway, is there a certain time frame I can feed them, let them out and know they had time to potty?

What's their normal eating/pooping schedule? Ours eat and then like to spend about 10-15 minutes in the backyard pooping out the previous meal.

So for example, breakfast at 7am = outside from, say, 7:15-7:30 and then everyone's brought back in and we're off. Everyone's emptied out and with full tummies are happily resting and digesting. You can also encourage elimination with a bit of exercise pre-breakfast. some fetch or flirt pole or a walk tends to help poop happen.

Sometimes if we're at my parents and we get home later that we anticipated, I just skip dinner. Fasting one meal isn't going to be a big deal. They maybe get a little extra the next day, but I don't try to make up the meal that the missed.

Also, if you feed late - stop getting up a million times a night. When you eat dinner late - do you get up to poop in the middle of the night? probably not. I'm just a little more considerate that everyone's probably going to want a longer potty time first thing in the morning since they've been digesting over night.

PinKster
Matured Bully

Postby PinKster » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:18 pm

When I feed them they do go outside for about 30-45 minutes using the potty, but I guess my question is, you can feed them and they wont have a bowel for 8 hrs? My dogs will not intentionally poo in their kennels. I guess I am just afraid of them being in agony holding it in till I arrive home.

Amie

Postby Amie » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:31 pm

They won't be in agony, nor will they be in agony if they miss a day's meals here or there. Many people fast their dogs for one day a week regularly.

If potty training isn't an issue (ie, there aren't accidents and they're old enough to be trained out of that) I wouldn't worry.

Return to “Health Issues”