Grain-free kibble advice needed

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
meltedspork
Newborn Bully

Grain-free kibble advice needed

Postby meltedspork » Sun Aug 02, 2009 4:38 pm

Ok, I know the feeding issue is a big debate... and I'm not here for that, just for some advice. First, let me give you some basic info. I do not want to feed the BARF diet, for a variety of reasons. Not because I don't think it would be a good diet, it's just not for me at this point in my life. I DO want to feed a high quality kibble. I believe that buying a good quality kibble really does make a big difference in your dog's health, and my vet affirmed this to me. Right now I've got both of my dogs on Wellness Super 5 Mix (I buy a 30lb bag of chicken and 30lb bag of lamb and mix them). I want to switch to a grain-free food in the next couple of months (after Max turns 1), and I've narrowed it down to these choices:

Wellness Core
Orijen
Innova EVO
Nature's Variety Instinct (not sure about this one)

I like the Wellness food and I can tell a big difference in my dogs since they have been on it. Both dogs were fed typical junk kibble before I got them. One big clue that the better quality food makes a difference is that they both had dull coats when I got them, but now they are super shiny! My next logical step is to move to Wellness Core, but I'm also considering the other 3 choices. Not sure about Nature's Variety as it doesn't seem to have as much real meat as the others.

So if any of you use or have used any of my possible choices... can you please share your experiences and if you would recommend them? I'm also looking for the best "bang for my buck", and I need to do some price comparison shopping before I make my decision.

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Re: Grain-free kibble advice needed

Postby Allie » Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:20 pm

We love Nature's Variety products. Unfortunately they are too expensive for our budget right now, but all four of my dogs did remarkably well on NV.
We got a free bag of Instinct cat food (if you sign up for the NV newsletter, they send coupons occasionally) and the cats seem to love it.

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:54 pm

I feed orijen to all my pets it is a wonderful food, pricey but so worth it, Im a sucker for Canadian products and ones I know where the ingredients are from.
That being said, I got a bag of NV Instinct for free and it I really like it, so does Grendel.
I havent fed Wellness Core to Grendel but I do feed it to my ferrets (cat kind) and it is a great food. But for me is the most expensive of all the ones you listed.
Innova Evo I have never fed but it is one I would consider and have heard great things about.
I would recommend researching each food and reading the company's website. If price is not a matter, decide which sounds best from your research and which company you would most rather buy from.

FriscoGirl
BANNED

Postby FriscoGirl » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:40 pm

Regular Innova has optimal protein/fat for daily maintenance, I dont know why people think their dogs need EVO as a daily feed. Feed like that is for short periods during extreme conditioning IMO, use during conditioning. Having your dogs kidney working overtime daily for 8yrs may take its toll, we'll see as soon as these feeds have been used long enough

ProudMommy77
Forum Junky

Postby ProudMommy77 » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:23 pm

How about taste of the wild, I had seen great results from using that kibble. And price it is reasonable. I also like the wellness core formulas. As for NV my dogs did extremely well on all the instinct formulas. But I would say the rabbit formula was the one they liked best.

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:21 pm

FriscoGirl wrote:Regular Innova has optimal protein/fat for daily maintenance, I dont know why people think their dogs need EVO as a daily feed. Feed like that is for short periods during extreme conditioning IMO, use during conditioning. Having your dogs kidney working overtime daily for 8yrs may take its toll, we'll see as soon as these feeds have been used long enough

I am pretty sure that there are studies that show high protein foods not being bad on the kidneys.
http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php ... otein_myth

InBearsMemory
Bully Ambassador

Postby InBearsMemory » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:50 am

Out of those choices I would probably go with the Nature's Variety Instinct. I like their products a lot and my dogs have generally done well on their foods in the past.
If you can get your hands on NOW! Grain Free food that's what I would personally buy but I am not sure if it is available in your area. In my opinion its one of the best grain free foods out there.
http://petcurean.com/index.php?page_id=160

merriterrier
Addicted to PBF

Postby merriterrier » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:48 am

ProudMommy77 wrote:How about taste of the wild, I had seen great results from using that kibble. And price it is reasonable.

X2! My dogs love TOTW and I like the quality and price!

I have also fed the NV Instincts and thought it was good, and also liked the Wellness Core but I bought a several bags of each at super discount (when my feed store was closing) and cannot afford to feed it at regular prices.

I was not super thrilled with the EVO. For the price I was hoping my dogs would do better on it, but Django lost a few pounds on it and Chloe porked out, and Pablo's coat lost some gloss. The dogs ate it no prob but at $60+ a bag I thought I wasn't getting my $$ worth.

I endeavor to feed the best I can afford, I'm not rich, and I feed 7 dogs. I try to find a food with the ingredients and levels of protein and fat I know my dogs do well on, and a company I feel comfortable buying from. But, price is an issue for me.

FriscoGirl
BANNED

Postby FriscoGirl » Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:47 pm

starrlamia wrote:
FriscoGirl wrote:Regular Innova has optimal protein/fat for daily maintenance, I dont know why people think their dogs need EVO as a daily feed. Feed like that is for short periods during extreme conditioning IMO, use during conditioning. Having your dogs kidney working overtime daily for 8yrs may take its toll, we'll see as soon as these feeds have been used long enough

I am pretty sure that there are studies that show high protein foods not being bad on the kidneys.
http://www.dogfoodproject.com/index.php ... otein_myth

any "study" wont give an accurate account of what's really happening until these dogs have been on these feeds for numerous years, they havent been around long enough. Their isnt anything to debate about the kidneys working harder on feeds with astronomical amounts of protein because they are, the debate is the damage that may be occuring and we'll see in a few more years.

dogs getting normal exercise, 1hr walks day ect arent in need of a feed like EVO but feed what you like, I just gave my opinion

Roo
Adolescent Bully

Postby Roo » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:03 pm

I just started feeding Wallace Orijen because it's the only kibble that he can eat without breaking out in skin sores and produce a ridiculous amount of stool. He can't do chicken, turkey, or really any bird, but they have fish formula that seems to be working well. Feeding raw is hard on the road sometimes, so I'm glad I found a kibble that he does well on since we travel a bit. I think like half of our disc dog club has switched to Orijen recently as well.

Roo

meltedspork
Newborn Bully

Postby meltedspork » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:45 pm

Thanks for all of the suggestions/input, I really appreciate it. I'm going to check out the other brands you guys suggested and do some pricing comparisons to figure out what will work best.

Deniselynn
BANNED

Postby Deniselynn » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:42 am

ProudMommy77 wrote:How about taste of the wild, I had seen great results from using that kibble. And price it is reasonable. I also like the wellness core formulas. As for NV my dogs did extremely well on all the instinct formulas. But I would say the rabbit formula was the one they liked best.

Ditto

Cherry
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby Cherry » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:40 pm

I feed Wellness Core Ocean and Cherry does well on it. She loves it also. But she loves anything edible. (And things that aren't..... :oops: )

I am thinking of switching to Orijin Fish though. Just because it is even higher quality.

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Wed Aug 05, 2009 2:44 pm

Before Grain is by merrick, most of the grain free foods except EVO has 34% protein and lower.. EVO is at 42% which is WAY too high.. Canidae makes an ALS grain free food too..

mine are all now on regular canidae now, with ruby on wellness core ocean to see if she is allergic to it..

HappyPuppy
Addicted to PBF

Postby HappyPuppy » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:01 pm

Maryellen wrote:Before Grain is by merrick, most of the grain free foods except EVO has 34% protein and lower.. EVO is at 42% which is WAY too high.. Canidae makes an ALS grain free food too..

mine are all now on regular canidae now, with ruby on wellness core ocean to see if she is allergic to it..

I have gone from Kirkland to Canidae ALS (switched when ingred change occurred - now, my local store does not carry the grain free) to Natures Variety (prarie) to Kirkland again - I most recently bought a med bag of Before Grain and have a coupon ($8 off !!) for either Before Grain or another Merrick kibble (never tried 'regular' Merrick) ...

I'm wondering of 34% protein is too much for my Rubygirl who does not get heavy workouts due to bad hips - just fetch daily and occasional bike riding. (???) NV Prarie was like 24 or 27% I recall, so this is a bit of a jump. (I feed raw dinners, btw) Help me decide so I can use this coupon or look at other prods. I'm also tempted to try another feed store for Canidae Grain Free but I like the idea of the variety of the before grain flavors (even tho they are ALL mostly chicken base)....

Return to “Health Issues”