Lost of Appetite

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
lazyboy
Newborn Bully

Lost of Appetite

Postby lazyboy » Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:23 pm

Hi guys,

It's been a while since I posted here.
I think the last time was when I'm seeking help with my dogs mange.
Thanks to all that helped me, its now solved.

But here's another problem, hope I could also get some input regarding this here.

My dog is already 16 months old.
Ever since, I never had a problem feeding him.
Back to the days that he had a mange, I fed him Canidae Lamb Meal
But when the stocks of Canidae run out here in the Philippines I shifted to Acana Lamb and Rice.
All goes well, he loves it very much. I didn't even tried shifting to another feeds 'coz he's just doing great with it.
Unfortunately, Acana also ran out of stocks and Canidae is nowhere to be found also.
Honestly, we don't have much of high end dog food here like TOTW, Merrick, Instinct etc.
So, I just shift him to BARF/RMB, I fed him Chicken Carcasses, Beef and Whole Fish with fruits and veggies on it.
He definitely loves it also, but the problem is it triggers his allergies probably with Chicken and Fish.
I can't afford to buy Beef all the time so when Canidae and Acana's stocks came back here, I immediately bought one.
But they change some of their ingredients. Acana Lamb and Rice before to Acana Lamb and Apple.

He was just a month short on his 1st Birthday that time.
So, from BARF/RMB I shift him to Acana Lamb and Apple.
At the first month, it was just fine.. same old appetite never reached a minute to finish a 2 cup meal.

But my burden started after one month (after his 1st birthday).
I bought another bag of Acana Lamb and Apple again but this time he just smells it then leave.
I thought that maybe there's something wrong with him and made him checked by the vet and found no illness what so ever.
Everything was just normal, he is active as hell. I even dewormed him every 3-4 months (I use Canimax) but he
slowly losing interest on his food. I also tried mixing some meat on his meal, sometimes he finishes up but sometimes
it just go to waste.
So I tried other variety of dog food except for those with Chicken on it. I've tried Eukanuba Lamb and Holistic but its all useless.
One day I saw a shop where they sell feeds like Instinct, Orijen, Merrick, TOTW etc.
I just tried Merrick's Venison, and Orijen's Adult but it's all the same--USELESS!
I spend $42 dollars for a 2kg feeds for both Merrick and Orijen for nothing.
Even my wife is complaining for the expenses for my dog and yet nothing seems to be working.
It pissed me off, I never fed him for a day and see the difference but it seems that he never learned his lesson.
I have tried almost 6-7 kind of dog food, it seems that holistic somehow give him some appetite but not enough.
I'm giving him satin balls also, with beef as the meat.. he seems to love it but there's a time that he just sleep
without eating the rest of it. He just want me to watch him eat and stops when I leave for something.
I'm really pissed off right now, he is still in shape 'coz I'm doing everything I could just to make him eat.
I worked him out, exercise etc then make him eat after 30 mins, but still there are time that he don't want to eat.
I really love to try Canidae again, but afraid it will end up going to waste again.
I still have at least 8kgs of Acana, 2kgs of Orijen, and less than 2kgs of other feeds in the house.
I also have 1lb of Satin Balls on the fridge, really afraid of everything going to waste, my wife might kill me :crybaby:
This morning, I gave him a ground liver and beef and gave it to him after 30 mins spring pole and walk, still NO LUCK!

I hope experts here could help me... trial and error on feeds could end up my life if my wife kills me :pray lol

Thanks in advance.

lazyboy
Newborn Bully

Re: Lost of Appetite

Postby lazyboy » Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:55 am

any inputs, experience, solution etc

TIA

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:23 am

You said you already had him to the vet for a work-up? How much are you feeding him? How much of that does he eat? Is he on a schedule? Is he underweight (as in can you see his hip bones?)

lazyboy
Newborn Bully

Postby lazyboy » Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:07 pm

Kingsgurl wrote:You said you already had him to the vet for a work-up? How much are you feeding him? How much of that does he eat? Is he on a schedule? Is he underweight (as in can you see his hip bones?)

The vet sees no sign of any illness or anything. He is in perfect condition he said.
I'm feeding him 2 cups per meal twice a day.
There were times that he just eat half of it sometimes he didn't even bother to taste it.
I manage to keep him on his weight, I've tried lots of things just to make him eat hoping to hit the right food for him.
For the past 4 months sad to say I just had enough (or until my wife forgives me also) and I am worried that he might end up malnourished or something.
I don't know maybe I'm just freaking out too much, 'coz me and my wife were the only people he accepts food from.
And I'm going for a training the next week for 2 weeks and my wife is very occupied on her job and our baby.
So, just worried that if my dog doesn't eat without supervision then maybe he'll end up malnourished or sick.

TIA

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:40 pm

If he is 'in perfect condition' per the vet, he might be like my boy, who eats only what he wants/needs. My female will clean her dish of anything you put in front of her (which led me to have to scale back considerably on her amount of food when she started packing on the weight) She weighs 65 pounds and is currently eating 2 cups of food per day. Martin seems to have a slightly higher metabolism, so though he is smaller (50 pounds) he gets about 3 cups a day. Some days he doesn't eat it all.
Different foods will have different amounts that your dog would need to eat to maintain themselves and treats or extras need to be factored in as well.
How much does your dog weigh?

Putting him on a schedule can really help too. Feed as close to the same times per day, put the food down and give him the chance to eat for 10-15 minutes, then pick it up and put it away until the next scheduled feeding. Dogs that are free fed tend to be grazers and/or picky eaters I've found.

lazyboy
Newborn Bully

Postby lazyboy » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:09 am

Thanks a lot Kingsgurl.
Yeah, maybe somehow its my fault.
My other pitbulls are not like this one, 'coz they are aware that after 10mins and if they still not finish eating then wait for the next meal time. Actually, I never leave unfinished food with them, its that just I want him to finish his food unsupervised just like the rest. I'm just worried sick that maybe when I'm gone and no one is able to attend with him while his eating then he won't eat and another thing is I want to maintain his weight (65lbs) because I'm campaigning him on dog shows here in the Philippines although he is already a Champ on one of the dog club here, I still want him to compete at the battle of the Champions. Kinda spoiled dog this one.
Well right now his on a "disciplinary action", if he don't eat then get the food.

Thanks a lot again.

pitbulliest
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby pitbulliest » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:27 am

I came upon this topic by doing a search, because I have the exact problem with my girl at this point. She's 8 years old. I visit the vet with her on a regular basis for checkups and yearly wellness testing. Her weight is fine. Recently she has lost her appetite. I rotate her food regularly, because she is overall quite picky, but even when I throw in scraps and human goodies like cooked meat and such, sometimes she'll clear it, sometimes she wont.

She did have some dental work recently, although the vet checked her teeth over and everything seems fine, no pain or any other problems happening there.

She also has a skin infection right now, which I need to give her pills for. Sometimes I think its because after eating I need to give her the pills, she associates food with the pills, which she hates taking.

Maybe I should give her the meds before she eats?

Anyways, any other suggestions for dogs who just seem to be losing their appetite? Its nerve wrecking for us owners :(

Studlintsean
Adolescent Bully

Postby Studlintsean » Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:11 pm

My dog Bronx has always been a seriously picky eater unless my old roomates dog was ready to eat also. Sometimes he will eat a whole bowl (2 cups) and sometimes he wont eat a thing until late at night. Like Kings/Girl said some dogs just eat when they want/need.

TofuKat
Newborn Bully

Postby TofuKat » Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:18 pm

My foster girl is like this. It's gotten a lot better since I started adding salmon oil to her dry food. Also, I wasn't aware that dogs need less of premium foods. I was used to the "old" ways of feeding multiple cups of Purina or whatnot (with my parents dogs)...

Now that I have my own dog and want the absolute best, it's actually more economical to feed less. The vet said she needed about two cups a day of dry. On Evo she eats about a cup and a half and I make up the difference with lots of good quality treats her toys and during training.

Return to “Health Issues”