Vomiting after HW Prevention?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
lpyrbby
Bully Lover 4 Life

Vomiting after HW Prevention?

Postby lpyrbby » Thu Aug 06, 2009 10:11 pm

So, I've noticed a trend. My Deja girl vomits hours after taking her Tri Heart Plus. She's got other health issues right now we're looking at (blood panel indicated a slight increase in digestive enzymes and her liver enzymes were triple; thyroid is in normal range but low at 1.5 so she's also on low dose thyroid pills for now) but this vomiting after the HW prevention seems to have been relatively consistent for the past three months. :(

I'm so irked and frustrated at what's going with my dog right now in general. I asked my vet about the vomiting thing when I took her in on Monday and he said it wasn't typical. Just wanted to get other opinions. I gave her the pill earlier this evening and just now for our evening trip outside and she laid down in the wet grass for about a minute, then got the yucky face and vomited.

Her other issues have been not eating but maybe a cup, cup and a half per day. She's still drinking, still normal otherwise. She's been chewing her butt more recently (anal glands were expressed at the vet, only one side was full; and cortisone shot given that seems to have made her chew more) creating hot spots. We don't have fleas. Nothing new has been introduced to her diet. She's also taken to barking in her crate in the mornings and for the past couple of days has been resisting going in her crate. I took the crate pan out yesterday since its cracked thinking maybe that was the issue. We'll find out tomorrow if she's still going to give me a hassle about it. She's turning 4 sometime this month and has NEVER given me this trouble. This is all new stuff. Nothing's changed :(

I'm just frustrated. I want to know what's wrong with my dog so I can fix it.

Anywho, any opinions on the HW prevention thing?

RuffMuttK9z

Re: Vomiting after HW Prevention?

Postby RuffMuttK9z » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:28 pm

I would try a different brand of HW preventative first. I use Interceptor myself.

dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby dogs4jen » Fri Aug 07, 2009 12:14 pm

Do you give the heartworm preventative with a meal? Our vet told us to so I always have and haven't had any problems, so that might be worth a try if you don't already.

lpyrbby
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby lpyrbby » Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:13 pm

dogs4jen wrote:Do you give the heartworm preventative with a meal? Our vet told us to so I always have and haven't had any problems, so that might be worth a try if you don't already.

In the past, I've always given the prevention about 4 hours after eating. My vet never mentioned making sure she's eaten. and I figured about 4 hours after eating would be good. It'd be like a midday treat :) lol

Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Ilovethepits » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:08 pm

I was just reading today on truth4dogs.com and dogs4dogs.com about HW prevention meds. It's a lot of information to take in, so I'm not going to try and go over it, but I'd read it if I were you. It's very interesting.

lpyrbby
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby lpyrbby » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:34 pm

Ilovethepits wrote:I was just reading today on truth4dogs.com and dogs4dogs.com about HW prevention meds. It's a lot of information to take in, so I'm not going to try and go over it, but I'd read it if I were you. It's very interesting.

Direct link please?

RuffMuttK9z

Postby RuffMuttK9z » Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:46 pm

I've never had to worry about when my dogs have eaten in relation to when they get their HW preventative.

starrlamia
Addicted to PBF

Postby starrlamia » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:26 pm

RuffMuttK9z wrote:I've never had to worry about when my dogs have eaten in relation to when they get their HW preventative.

we use sentinel which is supposed to be given on a full stomache, so maybe it is the same?

Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Ilovethepits » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:59 am

lpyrbby wrote:
Ilovethepits wrote:I was just reading today on truth4dogs.com and dogs4dogs.com about HW prevention meds. It's a lot of information to take in, so I'm not going to try and go over it, but I'd read it if I were you. It's very interesting.

Direct link please?

http://www.truth4dogs.com

http://www.dogs4dogs.com

RuffMuttK9z

Postby RuffMuttK9z » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:16 pm

That sounds a lot like Terrierman's "Billion Dollar Heartworm Scam" blog:

http://terriermandotcom.blogspot.com/20 ... -scam.html

In all honesty, I've read Terrierman's article multiple times. It makes sense, I guess. But I've taken in A LOT of heartworm positive dogs in rescue; therefore, internet articles are not enough to convince me that his article (or the ones posted above) are entirely (or even partially) true.

People also say "healthy dogs don't get fleas." Baloney. My dogs are pretty dang healthy and in the Texas heat it's almost impossible to not deal with fleas on some level during the summer, even with monthly preventative. I don't buy that I find a few fleas on my dogs over the summer because they're unhealthy. I find a few fleas on my dogs over the summer because its 100+ degrees here and my dogs spend A LOT of time out in the woods/lakes/creeks.

Return to “Health Issues”