Emaciated Pit Bull Puppies

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
amberspitbulls
Matured Bully

Emaciated Pit Bull Puppies

Postby amberspitbulls » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:54 pm

A friend of mine took in 8 (8 week old) pit/pit mix pups tonight. The owner had said that the pups could not be taken to his new house, and that if someone didn't pick them up tonight he was taking them to the high kill shelter here. My friend got the pups and what she found is disturbing. All the pups are extremly emaciated. NO fat what so ever. You can see every little bone in there body. I came over to see the pups and it broke my heart.

My question is, what should we do to pack on the pounds? I'm not sure if they are too little for Satin Balls or not. Is plain chicken and rice ok? Or should I just give them dog food? Please let me know. They will be in the rescue section as soon as we can get them back to health. Thanks in advance, Amber

amberspitbulls
Matured Bully

Re: Emaciated Pit Bull Puppies

Postby amberspitbulls » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:28 am

I once again can't figure out how to post pics of the pups, but if you want me to e-mail you pics of them I can do that.

BigBadPibbul
Bully Ambassador

Postby BigBadPibbul » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:23 am

I would have a vet check for any underlying cause of their skinny condition including worms and parvo just to be on the safe side. Fortunately puppies usually put the weight back on quickly if nothing outside of lack of food is causing them to be skinny in the first place. If their tummies are upset you could go chicken and rice but i would just let them have good ol puppy food. Be careful not to feed too much at once, if they're super skinny eating too much too often can be bad. Also if they're super skinny and you think it's been a long time since they've eaten it would probably be best to feed them from several different dishes in different places if not one pup to a dish, this way the chances of developing food aggression this early on will be cut down greatly.
Stormy was very skinny when we picked her up, at the time we didn't know much about FA and DA and such so we just didn't say anything if Turbo helped her finish her dinner, as she grew she became more and more food aggressive, now she can't even sit next another dog with a chewy treat.
I can't wait to see pictures of the babies! I hope they're all fat and rolly polly very soon :)

amberspitbulls
Matured Bully

Postby amberspitbulls » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:31 am

Thanks for the info. I haven't been on here in sooooo long. I have a 1 1/2 year old, so life is always on the go. I am trying to remember how to post pics, but just can't remember.

I gave the pups dog food, but they wouldn't touch it. I boiled some chicken and mixed it with some rice, fed them seperatly, and they all ate it up. I only gave a small amount cause I know it has been a while since they have eaten.

It breaks my heart that this guy could sleep at night knowing that these pups were starving. They are all humped up and can barley walk. One of them is really bad. I have looked in there poop, which is very hard. I haven't seen any worms so far.

I am working on seeing if I can help my friend come up with the money to take them to the vet. Times are hard for both of us, but we will make it work.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:37 am

I agree, in fact I'd get just plain Purina or Purina puppy chow - if you feed too much at once or too rich of food you can make them sicker.
So (what we do with pups like that)

1) be sure they have access to water, when they have no sub-cu fat they have no tissue to hold the water in with, so they'll need to drink water freely - do not limit access to clean, fresh water!
2) deworm and vaccinate them, although it's a stress to them, the risks to not being dewormed and vaccinated are worse.
3) SMALL AMOUNTS - maybe 1/2 cup per pup (feed them separately!!!) of the Purina puppy food 2-3x a day.

Don't be tempted to overfeed - water is most important to them right now, and then small amts. of food you can increase later.

Good luck. Post pics when you can!

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:39 am

You won't see the worms, really, until you medicate them with dewormer.
I can PM you some ideas and suggestions if you'd like, that might make it easier for you to care for them.

amberspitbulls
Matured Bully

Postby amberspitbulls » Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:54 am

BabyReba

Postby BabyReba » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:08 am

gosh, looks like a whole litter of little pups like the one i took in last january. so sad.

feed lots of small meals, rather than a couple of big ones--i actually got some canned food and mixed it into the kibble to make it more palatable to the pup.

like msvette said, fluids are important. i actually mixed a bit of unflavored pedialyte into my pup's water once or twice per day to help with dehydration too.

good luck with the puppies, i'm sure they'll fatten up in no time!

amberspitbulls
Matured Bully

Postby amberspitbulls » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:03 pm

Thanks for the info. Never thought of pedialite.

I will keep everyone posted. Thanks!!

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:16 pm

No fat, no muscle, but HUGE bellies... likely packed full of worms.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Sat Aug 08, 2009 12:45 pm

While Pedialyte isn't going to harm them, it's very expensive and actually just plain water is fine.
I'd save your money to spend on WORMER or your feeding them is going to be pointless - the worms will take the nutrition and the puppies can actually die FROM WORMS.

So instead of spending $7.00 on pedialyle, get either PIPERAZINE or FENBENDAZOLE at Walmart. If you have a feed store, so much the better.
Remember either Fenbendazole/Safeguard, or Piperazine (gets roundworms).
If they have had fleas or have fleas now you must get the Fenbendazole/Safeguard wormer.
That's imperative.

Second, if you have a feed store you could try to buy some vaccines, it's not the best solution but the most cost effective one.
Alternatively, go to www.petfinder.com and look for local RESCUES or Shelters, explain the situation and see if they could vaccinate the puppies for you.

And if you don't have the money on hand to at least buy the dewormer and vaccines, then please look into relinquishing them to a rescue.
Although you may not want to, the puppies will not survive without the medications.

As I mentioned I'd be willing to take them into our own rescue and do the medicating, and neuter/spay for all but you'd have to get them at least halfway here.

pinsent
Adolescent Bully

Postby pinsent » Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:05 pm

what a sin.
i hope things are going to turn out good for the puppies, but i have a question. is anyone going to report this guy?

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:34 pm

I hope that some reported the ex owner of these pups. They are safe now but nothing will stop this idiot from doing the same to the next litter.
Poor pups, it hurts to look at them. Good luck and thanks for helping them.

InBearsMemory
Bully Ambassador

Postby InBearsMemory » Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:04 pm

What a sin, look at these little guys!
I also suggest smaller meals throughout the day and definitely get them dewormed. What you can do with the dog kibble is this: If you have a food processor or coffee grinder put the kibble in there and grind it into a coarse powder. Poor a bit of lukewarm water in the powder and let it sit for a while. You can add a little bit of goats milk to the mix but not too much.

Red
Addicted to PBF

Postby Red » Sat Aug 08, 2009 3:07 pm

msvette2u wrote:As I mentioned I'd be willing to take them into our own rescue and do the medicating, and neuter/spay for all but you'd have to get them at least halfway here.

Did you see this, Amberspitbulls? Offers like that don't come around that often.The pups need medical care asap or they might not make it.

Return to “Health Issues”