bumps worse on canidae

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

bumps worse on canidae

Postby Maryellen » Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:18 am

so ruby was on wellness core ocean formula, and her shoulder area was bumpy but not so bad.. i switched her to canidae ALS, as the other dogs are eating that, and she is itching more and her hives are worse.. so now its back to either wellness core ocean or totw pacific stream.. dam it.

spammie

Re: bumps worse on canidae

Postby spammie » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:20 am

:sad:
hope you get this worked out soon, ME

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:29 am

so do i.. there is obviously something in the canidae that isnt agreeing with her. this morning after giving her a handful of canidae i noticed her chest area by her front leg was SUPER bumpy and hivey... so it looks like its either back to wellness core ocean formula or TOTW fish formula. i am going to buy a 5 lb bag of each and see which one she does better on. .. hell i was even toying with the idea of a I/D food to see if that works ...

this is what her area looks like now, same as back in june.. when i had her on the core ocean formula she would still break out but NEVER this bad..

MikeZev
Addicted to PBF

Postby MikeZev » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:13 am

ALS wet?

BabyReba

Postby BabyReba » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:29 am

hey maryellen, do you think this could be environmental and not food-related? that looks like the rash a former foster dog of mine used to get from being in the grass, of all things. he'd break out and scratch till he was bloody.

if you're sure it's food-related, maybe it's time to start looking at home-cooked dog food . . . i know ruby can't have raw, but home-cooked might help her. i know that the Pitcairn book has some recipes for simple and relatively easy home-cooked meals for dogs that are nutritionally balanced. you could make big batches, freeze, and defrost.

you could avoid the storage mite issue and the unknown ingredients issue, and maybe save yourself some headaches wondering what's causing her to have these chronic skin problems.

poor ruby. poor you!

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:39 am

i had her allergy tested and the only thing that came up was storage mites at 128.. for a allergy it has to be at 150 or over.. no grasses or anything came up otherwise either.

its weird, she can be in grass and not have a problem, and be in grass and itch a little afterwards, it happens more after she eats.. it wasnt so bad on the wellness core ocean formula, but i put her on canidae als dry and it has been worse since switching her, and she is itching more and smells a little on the canidae, so i am thinking its something in the food.. on the wellness core she didnt break out as bad and didnt really smell that bad..

i cant do canned as its too expensive now.

i could cook for her when i cook my own meals as long as its not that expensive, funds are beyond tight here, does anyone have pitcarins book on home cooking i can borrow?

BabyReba

Postby BabyReba » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:44 am

i have it, and i could mail it to you but it might take a couple of days.

it'd be faster for me to just copy the recipes into an email and send them to you that way?

of course, then you wouldn't have all the other health info that's in the book, and it's a pretty good book. so maybe i should mail it up! i still have 2 of your books, too, so when we're both done with one another's books we can trade back!

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:54 am

ok email me what you can, and when you come back up we can trade again..

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Mon Aug 10, 2009 1:34 pm

:hug:

Deniselynn
BANNED

Postby Deniselynn » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:25 pm

ME, what happened with TOTW?

spammie

Postby spammie » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:59 pm

At this point in the game, I think home cooked is a great idea.

Amie

Postby Amie » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:15 pm

When Canidae switched their formula a while back they went to a higher protein, but more variety of grains (so if one grain became more expensive for them to use, it wouldn't have as much of an impact on the product), so I would think it would be tougher to pin down any sensitivity.
(I was told this personally by a Canidae rep)

I like TOTW a good bit, don't have experience with Wellness Core, but Wellness does have a LI line as well - Simple Food Solutions - have you tried that?

dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby dogs4jen » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:50 pm

California Natural might be an option too. It's a really simple food with only eleven ingredients, and good for some dogs with allergies.

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:59 pm

we are on the TOTW ocean formula now, i had tried the prairie and it didnt work. too much itching. i bought a 5 lb bag of TOTW and Wellness core ocean to see which one is better, however i am thinking that its environmental and something that they didnt test for.. i am also going to try home cooking for her once i go food shopping to see if that is any better.. she cleared up yesterday perfectly, and today is back to being a little bumpy..

RuffMuttK9z

Postby RuffMuttK9z » Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:09 pm

I agree with BabyReba in that I think that looks like some type of environmental allergy. Allergies can come and go, so a past test may not be sufficient. Have you tried just dosing her with an appropriate dose (50mg?) of Benedryl 3x a day to see what happens?

Return to “Health Issues”