Good thoughts for Buddy please...

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Mya&theSiebenDackels
Addicted to PBF

Good thoughts for Buddy please...

Postby Mya&theSiebenDackels » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:59 pm

Today Buddy and the other dachshunds were outside enjoying the beautiful day we were having and I went outside to play with them on the spring pole. I look over and see Buddy trembling and whining. Then, he starting walking like he was drunk over to me. I yelled for my sister, who picked him and I got my Mom.

We took him to my Grandparents' vet that is just down the road who we called and he told us to meet us at the Vet Office.

Buddy can feel his back toes and pulled his paws back from the vet. The vet said he had a ruptured disc that was pressing on a nerve in his spine. He gave him a shot to relieve the pain and reduce the swelling. He also gave him Prednisone pills to take.

Buddy is on crate rest until he can walk normally again. Hopefully, he will be walking again in no time.

Please keep Buddy in your thoughts.

ilikelily
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Re: Good thoughts for Buddy please...

Postby ilikelily » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:01 pm

Lots of good thoughts to Buddy!
Glad you were able to get him to vet right away, that sounds so painful.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:17 pm

Even if/after he can walk normal again, please follow the crate rest until at least 8 weeks have passed. If you can do 10 it is better.
Please read and show this to your grandparents.
http://dodgerslist.com/

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:49 am

prayers and paws for Buddy to get well !!

Mya&theSiebenDackels
Addicted to PBF

Postby Mya&theSiebenDackels » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:30 am

Thank you for the kind thoughts.

Also, Yvette, Buddy is one of our dachshunds not our Grandparents.

Buddy is my 15 year old sister's dog. Our vet was already closed for the day and my Grandparents' vet is always on call whenever they need him. So, that is why we went to him.

Buddy's back is not any better today. He is eating and drinking which is good but, he peed all over himself in his crate. He is feeling better today just dragging his back end.

We plan on keeping him on crate rest for about 8 weeks.

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:31 am

prayers for Buddy to soon be well :pray

mtlu
Addicted to PBF

Postby mtlu » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:43 am

Sending many good thoughts to Buddy :hug: :hug:

Mya&theSiebenDackels
Addicted to PBF

Postby Mya&theSiebenDackels » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:32 pm

Well, now Buddy can not feel his lower part of his body. He can not control his bladder and just pees whenever it comes. When you pinch his toes he does not even notice it. He just drags his back legs.

The vet now thinks that he is paralyzed but, we are going to wait and see.

If Buddy does not get better, my Mom is looking into getting him special diapers and a wheelchair. Also, if he does not get better, the vet will have to show us how to manipulate his bladder.

Hopefully, we will not have to do that and he will be able to walk again.

Finnigan
Bully Ambassador

Postby Finnigan » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:56 pm

Oh no! Finnigan just had surgery for a ruptured disk. Just days after sugery, Finnigan is already (with jus holding him up) already taking steps, and should be up and walking on his own a bit down the road.

Is surgery an option?

Brats Momma
Newborn Bully

Postby Brats Momma » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:14 pm

Awww I am sending lots of good vibes and prayers your way. I hope that buddy will be okay.

Mya&theSiebenDackels
Addicted to PBF

Postby Mya&theSiebenDackels » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:08 pm

Thank you all for the well wishes.

Unfortunately, surgery is just too expensive. My Mom has been talking to our vet and my Grandparents' vet about Buddy.

The average cost for surgery around here is $5,000 and there is only a 50/50 chance it will work.

Today, My Mom ordered cloth diapers that will fit Buddy and diaper covers for him because he can not control when he uses the bathroom. My Mom also learned how to express him to use the bathroom and he peed a lot! We have to make sure we express him to use the bathroom at least 4 times a day so, he does not get a bladder infection.

Also, here is a picture of adorable Buddy. I really hope he gets better and does not have to get a wheelchair.

patty

Postby patty » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:54 pm

Oh, Katy :sad:

What a darling boy Buddy is. Sending tons of positive healing, get well thoughts his way. He is sooo lucky have you and your family. Give him a big kiss and hug.

Here's a hug for you and your Mom :hug:

Robby321
Pit Bull Forum Addict

Postby Robby321 » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:21 pm

Oh man that realy sucks poor Buddy I will be praying he gets better.

Mya&theSiebenDackels
Addicted to PBF

Postby Mya&theSiebenDackels » Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:42 am

Thank you guys for all the well wishes for Buddy!

Buddy is still the same as he was Monday. The vets think he is paralyzed and probably will never walk again. We are trying to look on the positive side of things though and we are in the process of ordering him a wheelchair. Hopefully, they are wrong and he will walk again.

Buddy is such a great little boy and does not even notice anything is wrong with him. He is back to acting like his old self!

It was so sad Tuesday night because our dogs really had not seen Buddy since before we took him to the vet.

Charlotte is my dachshund and is Buddy's sister. When she saw Buddy in his crate, she sniffed his back end and got really concerned. We took him out of his crate for a minute so she could see him and she looked at him like what is wrong with you brother?? Then, My Mom took Buddy into her room to show my 15 year old sister how to express his bladder(which she is doing wonderful with!) and Charlotte went to my Mom's bathroom door and looked under it. She started whining and paced back and forth between my Mom's bedroom door and her bathroom door. She wanted to see Buddy. She calmed down after she saw Buddy when he was done using the bathroom though.

I found that weird because usually they care nothing about each other and never really pay attention to one another.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:29 am

Remember, Tristan came to us completely paralyzed, and now is running around playing.
You need to give it the full 8 weeks, don't assume anything.
If he's still paralyzed then, you can start doing physical therapy, rubbing his feet and keeping this back legs stretched out.
That helped Tristan I think. I got paw balm and massaged his feet nightly with it.

Return to “Health Issues”