Rex went to the vet on Tuesday

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
TRENDKILL
Newborn Bully

Rex went to the vet on Tuesday

Postby TRENDKILL » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:48 pm

We just moved into our new apartment (2 weeks this Saturday)

Rex has an allergy. I can't figure out what it is. It's narrowed down to these 2 things.

1. Grass

2. Kirkland Signature Dog food

I have taken him to the dog park with grass before and he was fine. Recently I took him to a local park and he layed down in the grass and he had some bumps, which has happened once before. You know, I really don't know what the heck he is allergic to.

Anyway long story short, I had been taking him to grass here AND put him on new food. So he has these hives and bumps on him and I give him benadryl and pull his grass privlages. Next he gets these bumps all over him that are oozing a clear-yellowish liquid. I had seen it once before and I recognized it as a Staph. infection so I started anti-biotics. Tetracycline 500 mg BID. Well it started to clear up a bit. I'm thinking Rex is in the clear.

NOT...

I get up on Tuesday and we were participating in our normal apartment shennanigans running around and what not and I look at his ears and they are red, crusty and swollen up. I'm like...vet time buddy.

We go to the vet and she says it's an allergy. I'm like well what do we do? She put him on Cephalex, Bendaryl, some ear medication, Prednisone, and a medicated bath.

The way she explained it was that the allergy comprimised his immune system and he got a staph infection on the skin.

I immediatley switched dog foods and he is back on the food he has eaten his whole life. (Diamond Naturals Chicken and Rice)

So I get to stuff 3 Cephalexes, 3 Benadryls, 1/2 tablet of Prednisone down that gullet 2x a day and do ear meds once a day. And I will be giving him 2 baths this week. Joy.

But all in all he's doing better and the bumps are going away/almost gone. The ear swelling is going down, his appetite is almost back to normal. We just have to find out what he's allergic to. I will never feed him that other dog food again though. I can't have him little baby being sick.

Mooresmajestic
Bully Lover 4 Life

Re: Rex went to the vet on Tuesday

Postby Mooresmajestic » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:28 pm

If you think its a food allergy, sit down with the labels of everything he has ever eaten. Then go through and find the common ingredient. A friend of mine used this to figure out her dog had a wheat allergy. The dog would eat say a milk bone, or some bread off her burger then bam, nasty oozing hot spots. Also ask the vet about an allergin test, these help to narrow down the cause of the allergy.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:13 am

He could also be allergic to something in the new apartment...

Hopefully he gets better on the old food.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Sat Aug 29, 2009 9:41 am

I'd vote for the apt./environment since DN is almost the same as KS...

TRENDKILL
Newborn Bully

Postby TRENDKILL » Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:40 am

msvette2u wrote:I'd vote for the apt./environment since DN is almost the same as KS...

That's what I am starting to lean for. I just can't figure this out. I keep him off of the grass, we don't even go near the grass. He is quarrantined to Rock only.

I have been giving him his meds, I ran out of the Cephalex and the meds for the ears say to stop when the ears are not swollen and red. Well I quit the ear stuff and now he's scratching again. So I am putting him back on 3 benadryls and using the ear stuff. I am removing his bedding and he has been cut off of any people treats that I sneak him some times. I am going mad with all of this. I am so sick of seeing his cherry red eyes, the scracting, itching, the shaking his head. It's getting to me and I can not afford to be running to the vet every week. This is BS. I just dont know. *Sigh*

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Postby pblove » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:22 am

I am thinking chemcials in your carpet
you said you just moved into a new apartment so more then likely the carpets were cleaned with who knows what kind of chemicals?

TRENDKILL
Newborn Bully

Postby TRENDKILL » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:19 pm

pblove wrote:I am thinking chemcials in your carpet
you said you just moved into a new apartment so more then likely the carpets were cleaned with who knows what kind of chemicals?

Yeah it could be that. I will call the office and see who cleans the carpets and stuff and call that company. In the mean time, is there anything I can do?

dogs4jen
Forum Junky

Postby dogs4jen » Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:40 pm

I've heard of people having (well, their dogs) trouble with Febreze because it has corn in it-do you suppose they might have used that?

TRENDKILL
Newborn Bully

Postby TRENDKILL » Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:14 pm

No... I dont use it. The thing that sucks is that it will be 3 weeks this Saturday that we have lived here and he is allergic to something. Not only that, but like I said before, I don't have the cash to be running off to the vet every week. It seems to improve when I give him Benadryl but I want to figure this out and not have to medicate him 2x a day for the next year. He's not eating like he used to either. He would eat 8 or 10 cups a day, and now he's down to like 2 maybe 4. Agh. We get paid paid this Friday, i will see about taking him in Monday or something.

rambler72
Bully Ambassador

Postby rambler72 » Thu Sep 03, 2009 4:32 pm

could be a lawn fertilizer too... the real chemically ones can be hard on a sensitive dog.

HollyJoy
Super Bully

Postby HollyJoy » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:37 pm

TRENDKILL wrote:He would eat 8 or 10 cups a day

Holy cow!

TRENDKILL
Newborn Bully

Postby TRENDKILL » Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:13 pm

Yeah, I can not figure this out. I guess we're going to be getting some sort of allergy test at the vet. Does anyone have tips?

Shoshana
Bully Ambassador

Postby Shoshana » Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:20 pm

Is there anywhere in the apt that doesn't have carpet? Can you put down an old comforter to lie down on instead of lying on the carpet? I vote that it's something to do with the carpet.

If you can, try putting him into dog pajamas to keep him away from any allergens to see if it's environmentally related...

TRENDKILL
Newborn Bully

Postby TRENDKILL » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:11 pm

Well we have the kitchen and a small spot of tile in front of the fireplace. I am begining to think that too. He's out of antibiotics, I am afraid to keep giving him so many bendaryls. I am going to call the carpet cleaning company today.

Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Ilovethepits » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:20 pm

I'm so sorry. Allergies are tough. I'm thinking to put something else down for him to lay on too.

I did get a good dog bed that's raised off the floor for Lily from www.overstock.com. Sort of like this one:

http://www.overstock.com/Gifts-Flowers/ ... oduct.html

It was around $35 dollars and it keeps her off the floor I thought it might be too hard for her to lay on tile floor all day. She loves it too. Maybe something like that would work for Rex just to get him off the floor and see if that helps.

Return to “Health Issues”