Strange Bloodwork

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
BlueMountainBullies
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Strange Bloodwork

Postby BlueMountainBullies » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:42 pm

So last month I had taken Belle to school with me (I try to bring a dog at LEAST everyweek, some weeks everyday). Anyways, we drew her blood and ran it, and her RBC count was just slightly low, her WBC count was just slightly high, her neutrophil count was slightly high, and her iron was slightly high. Not a huge deal, jsut something to monitor.

Now she's acting normal, eating normal, drinking normal, playing, weightpulling, running etc. all normal. So I haven't thought much of it, it's been in the back of mind, but she was acting normal so thought nothing of it. I took her into school with me today. There was a student who wanted to try a jugular venipuncture, and she has fantastic veins, and is very calm and holds still, so a perfect patient to practice on. Plus I wanted to run her blood again. We got 4 ml of blood, so we spun down to get serum, made a couple blood slides and ran a CBC machine on her. Blood spun down perfect, nice clear serum. We were waiting for the blood slides to dry when we got the results of the CBC machine.

Her RBC count is now extremely low, her hemoglobin is now low, her iron is still high. Her WBC count is now extremely high, same with her neutorphil count. Her monocyte count is now high too. We looked at the blood cells to verify that she has a high count of WBC, neutrophils and monocytes. Yes. So we also ran a couple hematocrit tubes. They also verified the results from the CBC machine that her hematocrit is low (hematocrit is what supplies the blood cells with oxygen). Also, the buffy coat, which is the compressed WBC was larger than normal, also confirming high WBC count. :huh?:

So I called my vet (that I volunteer for every Saturday) and he said to bring down the results, the blood tubes and blood slides, they will look at them, verify the results (run their own tests) and go from there. We have an appt. at 3 to discuss what is going on, what they think, what I think etc. I hope she is ok, it's hard to be worried when she acts normal, but her blood looks like that of a very sick doggy. :sad:

I'll let everyone know what's going on, if and when we find out. But if you could send some good vibes her way it would be much appreciated!!

jtalt7
Bully Lover 4 Life

Re: Strange Bloodwork

Postby jtalt7 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:34 pm

What was the RBC, HCT and WBC? How old is she? I automatically go to tick born and fungal when I hear of bloodwork like that. Run some pannels and go from there.

Any updates from the visit?

BlueMountainBullies
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby BlueMountainBullies » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:35 pm

She will be 4 years on the 5th of September. RBC was low 4. HCT was 34. WBC was 27.

BlueMountainBullies
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby BlueMountainBullies » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:39 pm

as far as updates, vet is stumped. they are running some more panels to see what's going on. tem is normal. normal activity.

BlueMountainBullies
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby BlueMountainBullies » Fri Aug 28, 2009 3:35 pm

Vet suggested I run a complete chem panel on her, so today at school I did. Everything is normal. So liver and kidneys are fine. Also ran a thyroid - normal.

Everyone is stumped and doesn't know what to do next. The vet thinks an ultrasound to see if it's Pyo. But they don't do ultrasounds in house, and so they cost $300 to do them. That is if they don't extract any fluid or do any biopsies.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:18 pm

Wow that is scary.
I know u/s are expensive, we had one done on Copper just prior to his spleen removal.
But if it can save her life...do you have care credit?

BlueMountainBullies
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby BlueMountainBullies » Fri Aug 28, 2009 4:45 pm

yes I do have care credit. But they don't accept it.

with being in school I don't have the funds I normally do for these kinds of things.

it's not a matter of whether I do it if it can save her life, it WILL be done. Just stressing on it, as I need to figure something out. She is not ACTING sick, whch makes it real hard to act like something is wrong, and truth of the matter is, if I WASN'T in school, and ran the blood msyelf, I would have never known her bloodwork was so off. Which could be a blessing, if we find something and are able to take care of it BEFORE she gets sick. Or it could be a curse (if for some reason we are searching for something actually not there). I am just confused as to what to think. The vet is confused, because everything he think sit COULD be comes back as normal, or she shows no signs of. :huh?:

We tried to do a urinalysis on her, and tried for a cysto, but she wasn't full enough to get a sample. So maybe the vet can do that for me, or worse case scenario we can try it on Monday in class.

jtalt7
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby jtalt7 » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:25 am

Please someone correct me if I am wrong, but every Pyo I have seen has had a high temp. If I recall you said her's was normal.

Are you oppposed to just spaying her to be safe anyways, would save you the $300 on the ultrasound.

I would run tick and fungal panels if this was my dog. When my dog had a fungal infection his bloodwork looked exactly like yours. Coccidiomycosis, I know it is not in your area but you are going to have other fungal diseases that are going to act similar.

I personally (I am not a vet) would do those panels before the ultrasound. But again, both those panels will equal the cost of the ultrasound at least through our lab. Maybe do them one at a time and rule them out that way.

At the least I would be tracking that RBC and HCT weekly. It isnt scary low, but it is something to watch and if you able to do it at school that is a plus :)

BlueMountainBullies
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby BlueMountainBullies » Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:02 am

the vet suggested that since she is showing no signs whatsoever of anything, to put her on Baytril. He also wants me to pull her blood this week and next week and make sure it is improving. If she shows any signs of not feeling well, or any symptoms show up, then I am to let him know right away.

Basically, we came to this conclusion. If I wasnt in school, and wasnt able to run the blood myself, I would never have known about the bloodwork because she doesn't have any signs of anything wrong. Since I am able to keep a close eye on her bloodwork, temperature etc. we felt that this was the best option for her. If anything changes, than I will of course take care of it at that time.

jtalt7
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby jtalt7 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:54 am

But you are in school and you do know what her bloodwork is doing. I am not judging you but I just happened upon my dogs fungal infection as well.

Ran pre surgery bloodwork for his neuter, and his RBC was low, like yours, and his WBC was high like yous. Nothing else was wrong acting like a normal 9 months old pit bull puppy............huh weird. I didnt think much of it. Threw him on some Baytril.......like you are doing waited another 2 weeks........still the same bloowork. Huh weird. Then decided to dig a little deeper and run some more panels, tick and fungal. His fungal panel came back real bad and I lost him in 8 months.

Just trying to get you to learn from my mistakes, maybe the two weeks would have helped, maybe not, I will never know. But I dont think the reasoning you are using makes much sense. Just because you happened upon the information doesnt make it any else important. Run a test at a time, start saving, we all have had to pinch pennies I am not saying I am rolling in money over here.

BlueMountainBullies
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby BlueMountainBullies » Sun Aug 30, 2009 2:00 pm

I am sorry to hear about your boy. Im not saying I dont agree with you. We dont have ticks in my area and haven't been anywhere to pick up ticks for sometime. However, I will call and ask about the fungal panel tomorrow and see if we can run one. I do appreciate the advice.

BlueMountainBullies
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby BlueMountainBullies » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:12 pm

update: took her to school today. we were gonna do a cysto on her to get some urine, because my vet wants a UA ran on her. while the teacher was palpating her bladder, she felt some 'abnormal swelling' that also seemed to be uncomfortable/painful to Belle. I called my vet and they had us come in for a palpation. The vet said he could feel a little something abormal, but he didn't think it was painful to her. But when he was done she went and curled up in a ball on the seat in the waiting room. Which she never does. she is always rearing to go and excited to be there. This is the same thing she did at school when the teacher felt her, she laid on the ground all curled up. So I KNOW it hurts her.

The vet is recommending an ultrasound ($305) to find out WHAT is swollen, WHERE the infection is etc. My vet does not take Care Credit. I have care credit, but only a balance of $221. The place that does the ultrasounds (my vet doesn't) does take Care Credit. After the ultrasound, she will more than likely need surgery which could cost anywhere between $600-$2000 depending on what and where. I currently have $5.23 in my bank account. I get paid Friday but after car insurance and rent I will have less than $50. I have no idea what to do. I alrady called Care Credit, they will not up my balance (I have NEVER been late on a payment and ALWAYS pa more than minimum). I had a credit card that was used solely for emergency situations and had a significant available balance on it. But when Chase took over WaMu they closed the account because I didn't have enough credit history. So I no longer have my out for emergency treatment. I am so torn up, Belle is my baby. I don't want anything happening to her, but I have no idea what to do. I hate to see her in pain, and I hate not being able to help her. I almost regret going to school, because if I was working full time, I would have the available funds to take care of her properly :crybaby:

Allie
Addicted to PBF

Postby Allie » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:25 pm

You could try opening another credit card?
I am so sorry to hear she is in pain... but it is a good thing you were able to find a problem you would not otherwise have known about. We're sending good thoughts for you in these tough times. :hug:

BlueMountainBullies
2 Legit 2 Quit Bully

Postby BlueMountainBullies » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:35 pm

yeah i've tried several already. they won't for the same reasons care credit won't. i'm not working fulltime, since I am in school.

I've asked both my mom and my grandma for help, and they both are strapped, and maxed out on their cards. My other relatives are facing foreclosure or don't like my dogs to begin with. I'm trying desperately to find something and fast. I just feel so helpless.

jtalt7
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby jtalt7 » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:43 pm

Anyone willing to set up a payment plan? Unfortunately we had to stop offering them at our clinic because we were having to send way too many people to collections but it is worth a try. Anyway you can pull a personal loan off a car title or anything through your bank?

I am sure they ran a diagnostic profile..........that all came up normal? Was anything seen on Xrays?

Return to “Health Issues”