Not sure but possible hip dysplasia

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
MissVicky
Newborn Bully

Not sure but possible hip dysplasia

Postby MissVicky » Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:42 am

Sooooooo... Houdini has a gimp in his leg. I've noticed the first time that Houdini, when he would stand, he wouldn't put his left leg all the way down. I kept on eye on it and then the hubby started to notice. We've made an appointment for his neutering in a 4 days and now we are unsure if the procedure should be done. At this moment, he's limping, hopping and that's why I think it's hip dysplasia. Another thing is that is really concerning me is that he's losing a lot of weight. Right now, yes we aren't feeding him the BEST quality food because we couldn't afford then but now since I recently got a job, we might be able to either afford Blue Buffalo/Timberwolf (or if anybody has suggestions on better food that's not RAW/BARF(i've looked into it), it would be greatly appreciated.). He whines when he can't get a comfortable sitting and it doesn't bother him much when he's rough housing with siblings.

Any clues?

I have no idea if this is a condition but he seems to always be picking at his area. Growing pains possibly?

pblove
Addicted to PBF

Re: Not sure but possible hip dysplasia

Postby pblove » Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:28 am

that sounds like he has a possible torn cruciate ligament. (ACL injury if you want to do a search on here)
vet will need to diagnose it and go from there. but rough housig needs to be stopped until vet is seen as it will only aggravite it if that is indeed his problem
boy dogs do a lot of licking, again, ask vet when he goes in for his neutering surgery soon

Shoshana
Bully Ambassador

Postby Shoshana » Sun Sep 06, 2009 1:16 pm

I'd take him in and have it looked at ASAP - my friends just found out their 6 mo old pup has hip displasia and she doesn't seem to be in pain (yet). She has a funny bunny hop run and that's a real sign but pain and favoring? That's a sign of a more acute problem as far as I know.

As had been said before - please don't let him rough house till he's seen doc...

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:22 am

Sounds like cruciate to me. I would limit his excercise as suggested and get him checked out. Good luck!

Return to “Health Issues”