My baby is pregnant..need advise!!! and tips

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Re: My baby is pregnant..need advise!!! and tips

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:30 pm

20% of dogs having their first litter will have problems birthing the puppies. Its just a fact of life, so have at least 1500-2000 dollars stashed away for medical care should your dog need it. I can't tell you how many people I've seen who breed their dogs the first time who have no idea this is even possible, and then don't even have 50 bucks for an exam, let alone bloodwork to check glucose/calcium levels and possibly even a c-section.

Get your dog an ultrasound at about 30 days to check on the puppies growth and to confirm ongoing pregnancy. It won't give you a puppy count, but it will allow your vet to check heart rates, growth, and see if it will be a large litter or a small litter.

At day 55-60 (too early and the puppies won't show up) get an x-ray to see how many pups there are. This will help you through the birthing process to know how many to expect. If your dog has a large litter, this is particularly important as many dogs with large litters will have the first half just fine, and then have difficulties with the last few. One of my most recent C-sections was a dog who birthed the first four puppies just fine, but her uterus stopped contracting at puppy 5... we were able to save 2 of the remaining 4 puppies as well as the mom by doing an emergency C-section. It was a first-time mom from an owner who wanted "just one litter" and the dog was also 2 years old.

Lastly, here is some reading material for you:

Breeding Your Dog
http://www.VeterinaryPartner.com/Conten ... C=0&A=2084
Brucellosis, the doggy STD that is transmissable to humans:
http://www.VeterinaryPartner.com/Conten ... C=0&A=2428
Birthing Puppies (print and highlight the "call your veterinarian if" section)
http://www.VeterinaryPartner.com/Conten ... &C=0&A=678

Sarah
Dabbling Dog Coddler

Postby Sarah » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:06 pm

beaconwoodz88 wrote:no she is almost 2 and we have passed up many heats she is doing good and the vet said she was fine jus keep feeding her and giving her love and she will have a healthy litter.

Wouldn't it be nice if that was all it took.

I own a lovely agility champion Staffordshire Bull Terrier bitch that I bred almost 4 years ago. She is a spoiled house pet, sleeps in my bed, eats the best of food. I had an ultrasound done, and it showed a big litter. I had an X-ray done, and the vet counted 6 puppies. "Six?!" I told my dog, "I wanted four! Four is enough!"

Then the nightmare started. I took her temperature to get a base reading, and it was already quite low (temperature drops when a bitch is about to whelp) She wasn't due for 5 days! I thought maybe my thermometer was inaccurate, went to bed, woke up with my bitch having puppies beside me in bed. Little tiny puppies, 5 or 6 ounces apiece. I put her in the whelping box with them, and she had 4. Then she stopped. I called the emergency vet (it was Sunday) to see what to do, and the person who answered the phone told me not to worry, the rest would come. I worried, and an hour or so later, I called the on-call vet at the practice where I'd had the reproductive work done. He was worried, and told me to bring my girl down.

So I packed my 4 tiny puppies in a box, took my bitch, and drove 30-40 minutes on icy roads to the vet. He gave my girl some injections, but she still wasn't popping them out, so he called someone in to help him with a C-section. Just as they were getting set up for surgery, my girl finally squeezed out another tiny puppy, one front leg frozen back (what got the puppy stuck), entirely dead. Then the other puppy, which had been trapped behind it, came out; also dead. (having detached from the placenta hours previously, and then been unable to come out)

Over? Not at all! The 2 vets then present looked at my 4 little puppies, and said "oh, these don't look good!" They worked over the pups for awhile, gave me all kinds of supplies, and showed me how to tube feed the 2 weakest puppies. Tube feeding is terrifying, get the tube in wrong and you're squeezing milk into the pup's lungs and drowning it. I tube fed those 2 pups for about a day, until they died. The biggest, healthiest seeming pup in the litter also died, I don't know why, I left the room for an hour, came back, and he was dead in the middle of the whelping box. One pup thrived, though she terrified me by peeing blood at about 2 weeks old, and I had to feed her antibiotics to fight the bladder infection.

I still have her. Most expensive dog I've ever owned.

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:41 pm

So, in addition to the great advice you received already (good quality food, lot's of it, check ups, saving money for emergencies, etc) I would also suggest hooking up with a really good breeder (this does not mean someone who pumps out tons of puppies, it means someone who does things the right way) to mentor you. They should be able to help you out with everything from planning breedings (any idiot can put two dogs together, what are you accomplishing by this particular pairing) to finding GOOD homes for your pups (the hardest part of all)

no my 4month old is far away from getting bred...

Since your 4 month old has skin issues, she should NOT be bred.....at all.

Amie

Postby Amie » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:45 pm

To follow up on what Kingsgurl just said, you may want to look into the Breeder's Code of Ethics. It can be found in many places on the internet, but it should give you something to strive for with your kennel, and a lot of things to think about with your current and future dogs.

Good luck!

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:36 pm

beaconwoodz88 wrote:i am also taking her to get her ultrasound tommorow so i will see how it goes from there...i jus dont understand y the first timers always have problems..

They have problems because its their first time. They don't know whats happening, they don't know what to do, and you can't explain it to them. They have problems because their bodies are going through hormonal and physical changes they've never been through before, and it just doesn't always go as smoothly as we'd all like it to.

You have forced your baby to do what most people spend years preparing for. Statistics are statistics, thats all there is to it. Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst. MINIMUM, 1500 bucks in the bank saved up over the next 30 days.

bahamutt99
Addicted to PBF

Postby bahamutt99 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:31 pm

beaconwoodz88 wrote:jus keep feeding her and giving her love and she will have a healthy litter.

Unfortunately, vets don't get into the ethics of why a particular animal should or should not be bred. They don't delve into the genetics of what makes a good breeding or not, of which animals in the pedigree are carrying heritable defects, etc. They will only tell you that yes, your bitch has a uterus and can carry a litter. But the fact that a particular dog can reproduce doesn't mean its the best thing for the breed by any means. What we need now is only the most serious, dedicated, experienced, contract-writing, show-hitting, dog-working, pedigree-understanding, potential-home-screening, OFA-health-testing, over-thinking, rarely-breeding breeders perpetuating these dogs.

Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby Kingsgurl » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:39 pm

What we need now is only the most serious, dedicated, experienced, contract-writing, show-hitting, dog-working, pedigree-understanding, potential-home-screening, OFA-health-testing, over-thinking, rarely-breeding breeders perpetuating these dogs

This bears repeating. It sounds as if you want to do things right, and trust me on this one, it is a science and a daunting undertaking. Anyone can throw two dogs together and you will likely get a ton of advice from 'breeders' whose main mantra will be how many puppies can you produce, how much can you get for them, what color are they and how big are their heads. If you want to separate yourself from the pack (and the problem that is killing our breed) you will sift through the chaff and find someone who does follow the code of ethics and you will strive to better the breed.
This isn't easy, since it means your blue girl needs to be spayed and not bred. Demodex and skin allergies are rampant in the breed and it is mainly due to the fact that people continue to breed dogs who present with these issues.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:32 am

Kingsgurl wrote:
What we need now is only the most serious, dedicated, experienced, contract-writing, show-hitting, dog-working, pedigree-understanding, potential-home-screening, OFA-health-testing, over-thinking, rarely-breeding breeders perpetuating these dogs

This bears repeating. It sounds as if you want to do things right, and trust me on this one, it is a science and a daunting undertaking. Anyone can throw two dogs together and you will likely get a ton of advice from 'breeders' whose main mantra will be how many puppies can you produce, how much can you get for them, what color are they and how big are their heads. If you want to separate yourself from the pack (and the problem that is killing our breed) you will sift through the chaff and find someone who does follow the code of ethics and you will strive to better the breed.
This isn't easy, since it means your blue girl needs to be spayed and not bred. Demodex and skin allergies are rampant in the breed and it is mainly due to the fact that people continue to breed dogs who present with these issues.

:goodpost: I am sitting here, with a headache from the stench of a purebred Pug who should have never been allowed to be born. She has something wrong with her skin and all we can do is medicate, bathe (up to twice a week and if I could I'd do it daily, she seriously smells SO BAD) her hair is falling out and when she came to us she had skin infections from scratching herself raw. We're not sure, even now, what her prognosis is and she's about 2yrs. old.
Sadly, it's NOT demodex or even scabies as previously thought, the ivermectin has done nothing and no skin scrapings are revealing mites at all :(

People are breeding the heck out of tons of breeds and rampant health issues are a result. Behavioral issues are becoming the norm, as well, and that's killing the pit bull breeds as well as causing BSL to spring up all over.

Some dogs need to be euthanized because of allergies, skin issues and uncontrollable mange as well as other issues.

Just think of Icky (Robbie's female) and how she was put down at what, a year? Year and a half? Because of her problems.
You do not want to inflict these issues onto another generation of puppies and a whole plethora of potential owners.
You do not want to be responsible for adding to the problems pit bulls are already facing.

Yes it's easy to find homes for these kiddos - if you don't care about where they wind up, and it appears you probably do.
Please start out the right way - slow down and take your time and as Kingsgurl said, stand OUT from the crowd, don't just join them and go that way.

bahamutt99
Addicted to PBF

Postby bahamutt99 » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:55 pm

msvette2u wrote:Please start out the right way - slow down and take your time and as Kingsgurl said, stand OUT from the crowd, don't just join them and go that way.

I like that lots.

Return to “Health Issues”