How much should a 7 week old pup be eating?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
HemphillKing
Adolescent Bully

How much should a 7 week old pup be eating?

Postby HemphillKing » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:24 pm

Hey everyone, got a new addition to the family. She's a 7 week old Pit Bull, and doesn't seem to want to stop eating. The "breeder" has her on Purina Puppy Chow (Garbage, i know). So i'm keeping her on it to ease her transition into my house. How much should she be eating? It seems like she never wants to stop eating...When I had my first pup, who is 3 years old now, he only ate about a half a cup in the morning and a half a cup in the evening.

msvette2u

Re: How much should a 7 week old pup be eating?

Postby msvette2u » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:16 pm

I had a reply typed out, hit the wrong key and it just went 'poof'! Sorry!

OK - where was I?
Has she been dewormed 2-3 times?
If not, that needs done ASAP.
I'd give her 1 - 1 1/2 cups TWICE a day or 1 cup THREE times a day - at her age, she certainly could eat 3 x a day and it would be fine. She's a little young to leave mama.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:29 pm

I just remembered where you got her - in all likelihood she has never been wormed and never had vaccines. Her tummy looks bloated in those pics.

Although she's only 7 weeks I'd take her and let your vet know where you got her, and ask him to begin with the vaccines NOW and deworm her as well.
In our rescue we are now starting vax on puppies at 4 weeks and we deworm at 2, 4, 6 and 8 weeks of age, and continue deworming every two weeks thereafter (and vax every 2 weeks thereafter until the puppy goes to it's new home and it's new owner's vet takes over it's care).
This has reduced the risk of parvo in our (rescued) litters greatly.
Good luck.

HemphillKing
Adolescent Bully

Postby HemphillKing » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:24 pm

She has an appt on tuesday with the vet to be dewormed, examined and whatever else they need to do. Any other things in particular I should look out for?

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:52 pm

make sure you pick up the grass and her poop. since she is probably wormy if she poops then happens to step in it and licks her foot she will reinfect herself with worms again. worms live in cycles, so she should be dewormed 3 times , each time with a 2 week wait, as the worms will go thru her system and die and come out in her poop. dont be surprised if you see long spagetti worms or rice looking worms ...

HemphillKing
Adolescent Bully

Postby HemphillKing » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:01 pm

Maryellen wrote:make sure you pick up the grass and her poop. since she is probably wormy if she poops then happens to step in it and licks her foot she will reinfect herself with worms again. worms live in cycles, so she should be dewormed 3 times , each time with a 2 week wait, as the worms will go thru her system and die and come out in her poop. dont be surprised if you see long spagetti worms or rice looking worms ...

Okay, is it natural for all puppies to have worms? I think i've only seen one so far. To deworm her every two weeks does she need to have it done by the vet or do they sell like a deworming medicine?

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:08 pm

Yes they sell the wormer, AND if they are coming out on their own you need to get it done sooner than next week.
Puppies can die from a heavy worm load.
Her belly will be hot and she won't feel good.

HemphillKing
Adolescent Bully

Postby HemphillKing » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:59 pm

msvette2u wrote:Yes they sell the wormer, AND if they are coming out on their own you need to get it done sooner than next week.
Puppies can die from a heavy worm load.
Her belly will be hot and she won't feel good.

I'm not sure if it was a worm or not, but tuesday is the soonest appt they had available...What else can I do? If it was a heavy load wouldn't there be worms almost every time she pooped? Her belly does swell when she eats, what does that mean? I'm really nervous and I want my girl to be okay...

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:10 pm

No, the worms do not come out every time the dog poops until you give it wormer, then you'll see them. That's because the worms either die or are paralyzed after the wormer is given. It's not unusual for a puppy to have worms in 2-3 poops AFTER the wormer.
If you're seeing them now, it's a bad infestation.

What I meant to say in my last post, is yes all puppies have worms and if untreated, which I'm sure your puppy was never treated, it can make them sick or kill them.

If I were you I'd get her in to another vet tomorrow.
Waiting a week for an appt. is unheard of here, anyway.
That puppy, having such a heavy worm load, is very much at risk for other illnesses since her body is fighting the worm load.
She has not had vaccines at all so she could become sick with parvo in the meantime.

She needs vaccines every 2-3 weeks until she's 16 weeks of age, and also dewormed every 2 weeks for at least 3 times.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:18 pm

BTW your adult dog could get worms too, from the puppy.
http://www.vetinfo.com/protecting-puppy-worms.html

HemphillKing
Adolescent Bully

Postby HemphillKing » Wed Sep 09, 2009 11:53 pm

She will definitely see a vet tomorrow, if mine can't do it i'll find one that will. I'm really scared she's going to die overnight, i haven't been able to sleep at all. I can't get her to the vet until at the earliest 3:30 tomorrow because i'm stuck at work.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:10 am

How's her demeanor?? I haven't seen her standing in the pics at all.
But if she's acting okay, playing and what not, she should be okay at least until tomorrow!
The worms can kill by blocking the intestines, is the main issue.
I don't think it's an emergency per se, but definitely needs addressed ASAP.

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:43 am

she will be ok as long as you get her dewormed at least 3 times... and remember to pick up the grass AND poop and Dirt.. you dont want her reinfecting herself or your other dogs.. worms are in all pups.. its normal... but i would get her dewormed at least 3 times as that is the normal procedure

HemphillKing
Adolescent Bully

Postby HemphillKing » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:15 pm

Thank you two VERY much, she went to the doctor today. The vet said she is very healthy but does of course have worms. She was dewormed today and is going back in 2-3 weeks to have it done again. We gave them a fecal sample too to have tested. She seems to be better after only a few hours, her discomfort has seemed to gone away some.

Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Ilovethepits » Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:29 pm

HemphillKing wrote:Thank you two VERY much, she went to the doctor today. The vet said she is very healthy but does of course have worms. She was dewormed today and is going back in 2-3 weeks to have it done again. We gave them a fecal sample too to have tested. She seems to be better after only a few hours, her discomfort has seemed to gone away some.

OMG just saw this thread sorry her puppy tummy was all wormy. Glad you got her in right away. Aren't those worms icky? When I got my pup he was around 7 weeks and had never been vetted. He had worms so bad the vet thought he had parvo! He was fine once he got dewormed a couple times and all his vaccinations, but he's a small boy - 34 lbs. He is mixed though.

Return to “Health Issues”