How much should a 7 week old pup be eating?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.
Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Re: How much should a 7 week old pup be eating?

Postby Maryellen » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:20 pm

youre welcome, just remember not to get all grossed out when she starts pooping worms ... and make sure to clean up the poop,grass,dirt where she goes so she doesnt reinfect herself or the other dogs as well.. keep picking up the poop for at least a month after her last deworming..

HemphillKing
Adolescent Bully

Postby HemphillKing » Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:28 pm

Ilovethepits wrote:
HemphillKing wrote:Thank you two VERY much, she went to the doctor today. The vet said she is very healthy but does of course have worms. She was dewormed today and is going back in 2-3 weeks to have it done again. We gave them a fecal sample too to have tested. She seems to be better after only a few hours, her discomfort has seemed to gone away some.

OMG just saw this thread sorry her puppy tummy was all wormy. Glad you got her in right away. Aren't those worms icky? When I got my pup he was around 7 weeks and had never been vetted. He had worms so bad the vet thought he had parvo! He was fine once he got dewormed a couple times and all his vaccinations, but he's a small boy - 34 lbs. He is mixed though.

Yeah, they're a nasty parasite...she seems to be doing better already.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:06 pm

I am so glad you got her in, the worms are dying and will be moving out shortly.
It'll make you not want to eat bean sprouts ever again lol

HemphillKing
Adolescent Bully

Postby HemphillKing » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:34 am

msvette2u wrote:I am so glad you got her in, the worms are dying and will be moving out shortly.

I saw some this morning when she went out about 5am. I swear the one was like 2 inches long...gross. Yeah, no bean sprouts, EVER again.

Ilovethepits
Addicted to PBF

Postby Ilovethepits » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:43 am

HemphillKing wrote:
msvette2u wrote:I am so glad you got her in, the worms are dying and will be moving out shortly.

I saw some this morning when she went out about 5am. I swear the one was like 2 inches long...gross. Yeah, no bean sprouts, EVER again.

:yucky: I thought I forgot the visual, but it came right back!

HemphillKing
Adolescent Bully

Postby HemphillKing » Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:59 pm

Ilovethepits wrote:
HemphillKing wrote:

:yucky: I thought I forgot the visual, but it came right back!

I apologize, lol. It is nasty.

lilangel
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby lilangel » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:43 pm

msvette2u wrote:She needs vaccines every 2-3 weeks until she's 16 weeks of age, and also dewormed every 2 weeks for at least 3 times.

I totally disagree. Puppies are often over vaccinated and over wormed. Once the pup is clean only reworm if she gets re-infested. Do stool samples to determine this. Why are you going to put poison into your pup if she doesn't need it? Please do your research on vaccines. Don't just follow blindly.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:21 am

I respect your right to disagree; but to the OP, remember, parvo is a deadly disease, and distemper, even nastier and deadlier - http://distemperindogs.net/ making parvo with it's 80% survival rate look like a walk in the park.

Dogs have been vaccinated for so long that vets hardly see distemper anymore. Herd immunity plays a part in the reduction of this horrible disease - here's an example of how that works: http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_o ... b2cbae8f89

Misskiwi is a veterinarian on here and can give recommendations, and I'll post the guidelines we use in our rescue.

We have been doing rescue 7 yrs., the protocol we use is the protocol listed for WSU's vet program.
Once puppy vaccines are over, and up to 2yrs. of age, it is recommended you follow what has been researched and proven to keep puppies safe.
After that you can go to every 3yrs., as outlined in this protocol.

http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/depts-vth/vaccinations.aspx

Canine
Core
DA2PP
Puppies 8, 12 and 16 weeks
One year later
Then repeat every 3 years
Each patient should be evaluated for increased risk of exposure for consideration for yearly protocol.
Give in right shoulder

Rabies
Start puppies at 12-16 weeks of age
Repeat 1 year later
Then repeat every 3 years
Give in right rear limb

As for me, I'd rather run the risk of overvaccinating (which I've never seen in 7yrs. of working with puppies and adult dogs) than have my dog become sick with something so deadly, yet preventable, like distemper.

We've actually started following shelter protocol on litters born here, and have not had a litter fall ill yet - we give puppies vaccines every two weeks starting at 4 weeks of age.
Thus, when the puppy leaves (usually at 8 weeks) it has already had three vaccines.
We then have the new owner take puppy to their own vet and get the puppy on their own preferred vaccination schedule.
We deworm them starting at 2 weeks, and deworm every two weeks thereafter and again, have new owner ask their own vet about continuing or discontinuing, etc.

When in doubt, always ask your own vet since they are the ones taking care of your animal and it behooves them to keep it alive, as they get paid more money that way lol

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:34 am

lilangel
Bully Lover 4 Life

Postby lilangel » Tue Sep 15, 2009 12:55 am

Sure, everyone may do as they please. I've lived with a dog suffering from vaccinosis for the last decade. He was vaccinated based upon information just like that which you linked. I'll never listen to a conventional veterinarian again regarding vaccinations, or pretty much anything for that matter. I do my own research and work with our holistic veterinarian to determine what is best for each dog. Dog's have a remarkable immune system if allowed to develop naturally. I will always advise people to research combo vaccines and to always decline them. It is far safer and more beneficial to get each vaccine one at a time. If your vet insists on a 5 way or 7 way combo, run away! If pup is going to get parvo, it is going to get parvo. Even vaccinated dogs get it. Same goes for distemper. There is nothing you can 100% do to prevent it and IMO vaccines given over- zealously do far more harm than good.

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:31 am

Of course it is always good to remember that vaccines just boost the immunity, just like with people you can still become ill with the virus you were vaccinated against, the reason they work is they prime your body (or a dog's body, or cat's, etc) to recognize the illness and fight it off.

I'm sorry your dog has become ill, but again, in 7yrs. of owning dogs and doing rescue (plus working at a shelter for three years) I have not seen over-vaccination so I will always encourage people to listen to their vet when it comes to their dogs.

Your dog's situation does not apply to every dog out there, so to advise against listening to a vet could be seen as irresponsible and quite possibly dangerous to the dog and/or their owner and other dogs in the residence.

Misskiwi67
Addicted to PBF

Postby Misskiwi67 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:11 am

lilangel wrote:Sure, everyone may do as they please. I've lived with a dog suffering from vaccinosis for the last decade. He was vaccinated based upon information just like that which you linked. I'll never listen to a conventional veterinarian again regarding vaccinations, or pretty much anything for that matter. I do my own research and work with our holistic veterinarian to determine what is best for each dog. Dog's have a remarkable immune system if allowed to develop naturally. I will always advise people to research combo vaccines and to always decline them. It is far safer and more beneficial to get each vaccine one at a time. If your vet insists on a 5 way or 7 way combo, run away! If pup is going to get parvo, it is going to get parvo. Even vaccinated dogs get it. Same goes for distemper. There is nothing you can 100% do to prevent it and IMO vaccines given over- zealously do far more harm than good.

If not for the existence of distemper in wildlife, distemper would be a disease of the past thanks to the same 5-way vaccines you seem to hate so much.

The current latest vaccine guidelines are to vaccinate puppies at 8, 12 and 16 weeks, booster at 1 year of age, and then every 3 years thereafter. This is a HUGE change from the vaccinate every 2 weeks starting at 4 weeks and vaccinate every year with every possible vaccine that your dog probably received. The only over-vaccinated dogs I see are dogs from out-dated breeders and pet stores, and I haven't seen a vaccine reaction in almost 6 months despite vaccinating probably 20 cats/dogs each day.

The quality of vaccine has also changed greatly, from poorly regulated killed virus vaccines to highly competitive modified live vaccines thanks to numerous companies competing to produce the latest and safest vaccines.

Your dogs situation is very sad, but it is RARE, and sadly, parvo is not. The FACT is that 20% of dogs with parvo DIE despite aggressive treatment. 80% of dogs with distemper DIE and there is no treatment. Your dog is one in 100,000 that suffer a rare complication, and you are doing all dogs a disservice by overstating the risks and using scare tactics.

Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby Maryellen » Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:51 am

failure to deworm a puppy will cause said pup to DIE.. that is wrong to say not to deworm.. since parasites have a life cycle you have to deworm 3 times at least every few weeks to make sure you get every egg and worm... just because you deworm once doesnt mean all the worms will die...

vaccines are another story.. that is to each his own.. but all pups should be vaccinated completely as necessary.. once the dog is a year old then the owner can decide what to do next with vaccines..

and i dont vaccinate my dogs over a year old.. that is my personal preference .. however i do deworm puppies 3 times so that the worms are dead and make sure the cycles are done as well..

high_d_bear
Adolescent Bully

Postby high_d_bear » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:07 am

i have a question my pup is 8 months right now and i only gave him one set of the dewormer. the vet never said do it three times? he should be fine right if i havent seen any worms and his belly isnt distended right????

msvette2u

Postby msvette2u » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:11 am

It depends on the wormer, some can be given just once, I THINK but usually vets give a dose at the clinic and then a dose to be given a few weeks later.
If you're not seeing anything it may be your dog doesn't have them any longer, but a stool sample is a better bet since sometimes the eggs shed out in the stool but not the worm itself.

Return to “Health Issues”