Has anyone used NU-STOCK for Mange?

Talk about diets, exercise, and disease.

Has anyone used NU-STOCK for Mange?

Postby TRENDKILL » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:22 pm

I have this stuff called Pierce's All Purpose NU-STOCK that is from a feed store supposed to help cure Demodectic Mange. Has anyone ever used it and what are your experience with it?
TRENDKILL
Newborn Bully

Re: Has anyone used NU-STOCK for Mange?

Postby Kingsgurl » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:24 pm

Have you scraped for Mange and confirmed it is Demodex?
Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby TRENDKILL » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:45 pm

Nope. Not yet. I get paid Thursday and i contacted my schools vet tech program to see if they could help me out with it because my normal vet charges an ear and tail to go there. So until I get paid or have more $$$$$ I am going to see if the vet tech program can help me out. I'm just getting prepared and researching it
TRENDKILL
Newborn Bully

Postby Silenceafable » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:14 am

I've used it in combo w/ ivermectin for generalized Demo mange. it seems to help with hair regrowth. I'm told it will work to cure the mange, but I don't want my entire dog to be yellow, so I use it on the spots with the most hair loss. Warning, it takes a few application to get used to the smell :)
Silenceafable
Newborn Bully

Postby MikeZev » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:36 am

nu-stock does not cure demodectic mange.

get a skin scrape and go from there.
MikeZev
Addicted to PBF

Postby TRENDKILL » Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:32 pm

MikeZev wrote:nu-stock does not cure demodectic mange.

get a skin scrape and go from there.

What is your basis for this? Have you used it? How do you know it does not cure it?
TRENDKILL
Newborn Bully

Postby Kirstan » Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:48 pm

I had great relief for a dog with that - I used it with the oral Iver. He had massive scabs/scars from hair loss, mange, had a secondary staph infection and was just a mess. We used the Nustock, the oral iver, the b-complex/ester c supplement and any faith/hope/prayer we could find. I like it for it's quick relief. It is not a cure.
Kirstan
Forum Junky

Postby Kingsgurl » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:36 pm

The oral Ivermec seems to lead to the best results. I was going to use Nu Stock (or Neem Oil) on the demodectic puppy that got dumped at our vet, but the oral Ivermectin ended up working so well she didn't even need it. (she did have a topical shampoo to aid with the itchies)
Kingsgurl
Addicted to PBF

Postby TRENDKILL » Wed Sep 09, 2009 10:18 pm

Where do I get oral ivermectin? I have been calling around for skin scrapes and it's looking like i'm gonna pay 60 to 100 dollars. I get paid tomorrow, I will try and get an appointment asap. What kind of ivermectin should I get?
TRENDKILL
Newborn Bully

Postby Maryellen » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:16 am

the vet will give you the oral ivermectin. i know some folks get it at tractor supply too BUT it has to be a certain kind..

you cant treat it until you know whether its demodex or sarcoptic mange so a vet visit is definitely needed
Maryellen
Addicted to PBF

Postby MikeZev » Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:50 am

I am basing that statement on the fact that it DOES NOT CURE MANGE.

You dont even know if your dog has mange! dont try to diagnose or treat something that you obviously know nothing about.

If you cant afford proper vet care for the dog then give him up to someone that can. if thats not the case, stop being cheap at the expense of your dog's health.

You keep asking similar questions like you are waiting to get an answer that you want. you've already gotten the proper advice, use it or stop asking questions.
MikeZev
Addicted to PBF

Postby NewOrleansSaint » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:29 pm

Maryellen wrote:the vet will give you the oral ivermectin. i know some folks get it at tractor supply too BUT it has to be a certain kind..

you cant treat it until you know whether its demodex or sarcoptic mange so a vet visit is definitely needed

Yep, definitely get that vet appointment. You have to be sure you know what your dealing with. You're going to want to get the Ivermectin from the vet so you get the right stuff and instruction on the proper dosage. You don't want to try to do this on your own because you can poison and kill your dog.

Keep us posted on how the vet visit goes! Hopefully you pup can get relief soon. :thumbsup:
NewOrleansSaint
Bully Ambassador

Postby bainboy76 » Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:35 am

I took my 9 week old pup in for her first check-up since I got her and the vet was curious about a spot above her left eye. She said the hair looked a little thin. This was last Thursday. I thought it was just where her eyebrow whiskers are growing because all the other areas on her face with whiskers look very similar. Today, I noticed several spots on top of her head that looked like the hair was getting thin and there was small pieces of dry skin coming off when I picked at them. I got very worried and called the vet. I have an appointment next Tuesday for a skin scrape. But...when I got home tonight from work, I noticed they had pretty much disappeared. I'm thinking that it might be little cuts from where her and my 20 month old pit had been playing. Sometimes he would step on her by accident and she would get mad and bite his ear. I'm thinking his claws might have done this to her because there's a larger area on the back of her head that looks like a scab from a cut. That spot looked alot better tonight too. The eyebrow area that originally concerned the vet hadn't changed at all, so maybe she is ok. I'm still gonna take her in on Tuesday just to be safe. I gave her a bath in medicated dog shampoo right after I noticed the spots so, maybe that helped if it is some kind of mange. Wish my "Abby" good luck.
bainboy76
Newborn Bully

Postby Kirstan » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:36 am

I used IVO (for cattle) after the allergist told me it was fine to buy. I spent $40 on it instead of way more. A small savings but a savings nonetheless. We did the Iver at small doses increased weekly with specific lists of side effects to watch for and an emergency # on the bottom of the instruction page. I have worked with a lot of the mange puppies - severe with secondary infections. All have been treated with Iver. and Nustock. The Nustock was used to soothe/heal the blisters. Most of them had yeast as well so the Manuka honey was out or I'd have used it to stave off infection in some of the more ghastly open sores. Mange SUCKS so make the sure the treatment is well supervised so you can get it taken care of - if you have to use more Iver and the vet tells you the type, go ahead and order it. I think my savings was $60 which was nice in the scheme of things - it was a pretty big allergist bill AFTER the regular vet bills.

Good luck,
kirstan
Kirstan
Forum Junky

Postby TRENDKILL » Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:17 pm

MikeZev wrote:I am basing that statement on the fact that it DOES NOT CURE MANGE.

You dont even know if your dog has mange! dont try to diagnose or treat something that you obviously know nothing about.

If you cant afford proper vet care for the dog then give him up to someone that can. if thats not the case, stop being cheap at the expense of your dog's health.

You keep asking similar questions like you are waiting to get an answer that you want. you've already gotten the proper advice, use it or stop asking questions.

What makes you say that Nu-Stock does not cure mange? How do you know? You're right I don't know if he has mange or not and if you will open your eyes and read the whole post, you will see that I did say I planned on taking him to the vet, I was waiting on a paycheck to come in because I didn't have any money at the time. I'm not trying to diagnose or treat anything, I am trying to get information about mange and people experiences with a certain product.

Please dont come into my thread and be a prick about it. If I didn't give a chocolate about my dog, I'd get rid of him.
TRENDKILL
Newborn Bully

Next

Return to Health Issues